Lufthansa’s baggage policy is rather rigorous and states that you can only bring one large bag and one smaller personal item on board. They claim that your primary luggage must fit in the sizer and be able to fit conveniently in the overhead bin.
Here is all the information you need to know before traveling with Lufthansa Airlines regarding luggage size, dimensions, overweight baggage policies, and more.
- What is the Carry on Baggage Allowance with Lufthansa Airlines?
- What Additional Items can be Taken Into Cabin Free of Cost?
- What is the Checked Baggage Allowance for Lufthansa Flights?
- What Items are Not to be Carried in Checked Baggage?
- What Baggage Comes Under Excess Baggage Category?
- What are the Excess baggage Carry-on Regulations?
- What are the Conditions for Sports baggage and Special Baggage?
- What are the Rules for the Chargeable Sports Equipment?
- What are the Compensation Rights for Passengers for Delayed or Damaged Baggage?
- What to do in case of Delayed baggage?
What is the Carry on Baggage Allowance with Lufthansa Airlines?
Lufthansa baggage allowance allows its passengers in first and business classes with two carry-ons. All carry-on bags must meet the following specifications and fit in the overhead compartment or beneath the seat in front of you:
- Passengers in economy class and premium economy are allowed one carry-on.
- Small cats and dogs can be carried on board under Lufthansa pet travel service.
- Outside clothing and assistive equipment are not considered personal possessions.
- The maximum size allowed for carry-on luggage is 55 cm x 40 cm x 23 cm (length x width x height).
- Lufthansa baggage weight allowed for carry-on luggage is 8 kg (18 lb) at maximum.
|CLASS||LUFTHANSA HAND BAGGAGE ALLOWANCE|
|Economy Class||1 piece of hand luggage up to 8 kilograms|
|Premium Economy Class||1 piece of hand luggage up to 8 kilograms|
|Business Class||2 pieces of carry-on luggage, each weighing up to 8 kilograms|
|First Class||2 pieces of carry-on luggage, each weighing up to 8 kilograms|
What Additional Items can be Taken Into Cabin Free of Cost?
These additional items are allowed for free while traveling, under Lufthansa baggage policy as they might be necessary to carry:
- Additional little pieces of luggage, not to exceed x=30 cm, y=40 cm, z=10 cm, such as a purse or laptop bag.
- A child seat, a folding pushchair, or a baby carry cot, per child.
- Mobility aids such as wheelchairs and other orthopedic devices.
What is the Checked Baggage Allowance for Lufthansa Flights?
Lufthansa checked baggage size allowance on all international flights is mentioned below:
|Economy Class||1 bag up to 23 kg|
|Premium Economy Class||2 bags up to 23 kg|
|Business Class||2 bags up to 32 kg|
|First Class||3 bags up to 32 kg|
What Items are Not to be Carried in Checked Baggage?
The following goods are restricted under Lufthansa baggage policy for safety reasons:
|Caustic materials, such as acids, alkalis, and wet cell batteries|
|Containers with gas, for example, irritant gasses, self-defense sprays|
|Containers with flammable liquids, such as lighter fuel, paint, varnish, cleaning agents|
|Petrol-operated equipment and tools that already contain minimal amounts of petrol (e.g. for test purposes)|
|Camping stoves, gas cylinders, filled scuba tanks|
|Explosives, fireworks, flares|
|Electroshock weapons, e.g. stun guns (tasers)|
|Poisonous (toxic) and infectious substances, such as mercury, bacteria and virus cultures|
|Oxygen generators, liquid oxygen|
|Materials that are easily ignited, such as strike-anywhere matches|
|Battery-powered means of transportation (e.g. e-scooters, hoverboards, mini-Segways, Solowheels, electric bicycles).|
|Oxidising substances, such as bleaching powder and peroxides|
|Substances that emit flammable gases upon contact with water|
|Security bags or briefcases with lithium batteries or pyrotechnic devices|
|Radioactive materials and items|
|Strongly magnetic materials|
|Dry ice in excess of 2.5 kg|
NOTE: This restriction does not apply to wheelchairs or other mobility aids powered by lithium batteries plus these are restricted in the cabin as well.
What Baggage Comes Under Excess Baggage Category?
There are specific rules and conditions that need to be followed in regard to Lufthansa baggage size. Your baggage comes in the ’excess baggage’ category when:
|CLASS||LUGGAGE WEIGHT||LUGGAGE DIMENSIONS||EXCESS BAGGAGE|
|Economy and Premium Economy Class||More than 23 kg (up to a maximum of 32 kg)||More than 158 cm and maximum of 292 cm (L+B+H)||Yes|
|Business and First Class||158 cm and up to 292 cm (L+B+H)||Yes|
What are the Excess baggage Carry-on Regulations?
These are the regulations that must be followed if you have excess baggage:
- You are allowed to carry extra baggage with you by paying a certain amount.
- Before checking your luggage at the airport, make sure it is labeled with your name and a cell phone number on both the inside and the exterior.
- At the Lufthansa flight check-in desk, you can get complimentary bag tags and/or stickers for your checked-baggage goods.
- More than 32 kg of luggage will not be allowed as carry-on items.
- They are transportable by air freight.
What are the Conditions for Sports baggage and Special Baggage?
On Lufthansa flights, it is simple to bring your sporting goods. Any additional sports luggage beyond the free baggage allowance will be charged a fixed fee according to Lufthansa baggage policy.
Only a little amount of storage space is offered for sporting goods. In consideration of this, it is advised to register your desired sporting goods as soon as feasible.
You can register via:
- Your travel agency
- Through their website
Things to keep in mind while registering:
- Only 24 hours before departure you can register.
- When making a reservation, please be sure to provide your booking code.
- If you need to make a flat rate payment, kindly do so at the Lufthansa Service desk in the airport.
- Sports equipment can be included in your free baggage allowance if the quantity and weight do not exceed the limits for your travel class. (The Economy Light fare is an exception to this rule.)
What are the Rules for the Chargeable Sports Equipment?
Lufthansa baggage policy allows passengers to carry sports equipment under certain conditions like:
- Lufthansa baggage weight of sports equipment that weighs more than 32 kg cannot be checked as luggage.
- If it measures more than 315 cm then you cannot check it in as well.
- These items can, however, be sent through air freight.
- If your sports equipment weighs more than the permitted weight for free baggage in the applicable travel class, but not more than 32 kg, you will be charged the flat rates for sports equipment.
If the rules for sports equipment listed below do not apply to your sports equipment, you will be charged a flat rate for the carriage of your luggage.
What are the Compensation Rights for Passengers for Delayed or Damaged Baggage?
Passengers who have faced this issue must keep these pointers in mind so that they do not suffer further:
- Passengers must disclose damage within 21 days after the delay in order to get reimbursement.
- After 21 days, submit a compensation claim.
- To receive reimbursement, keep the payment documentation connected to the last-minute purchase.
- In most cases, Lufthansa airlines will pay out about USD 1,500 to passengers as compensation for their delayed or missing baggage.
NOTE: Compensation is shared only when damage is recorded and the compensation claim is made within the allotted period as suggested in Lufthansa baggage policy.
What to do in case of Delayed baggage?
You can see from the information provided below on how to file a claim for Lufthansa delayed baggage.
- On the official website, click on “baggage” from the menu.
- Then you’ll be taken to the New Page, where you can select the “Problems with Your Baggage” option.
- You may now choose “Report Delayed Baggage.”
- The form appears in front of you once you touch the selection.
- You must provide your booking reference number and last name in this form.
- Click the “Submit” button when you have accurately entered the information.
- The management of the airline receives the form at the end and will try its best to help you.
If you have a vacation planned soon and haven’t yet made travel arrangements, think about using Lufthansa Airlines. Not only are the flights inexpensive, but you’ll also be happy with their baggage policy if you know it.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, For Premium Economy Class it is 2 bags up to 23 kg (50 lb) each and 2 bags up to 32 kg (70 lb) each for Business Class.
No, it can be carried as a complimentary with one hand luggage.
Yes, the 158 cm check-in baggage dimension limit is strictly enforced by Lufthansa. They won’t accept any bags that are bigger than the allowed size.
As long as a bag doesn’t exceed the maximum dimensions of 11.8 x 15.7 x 3.9 inches, Lufthansa will accept it as a personal item.