For certain international routes, including those to the United States, Turkish Airlines baggage policy bases its luggage limit on a piece system, whereas for others it bases it on a weight basis.
Here’s everything you need to know about the baggage size, dimensions, overweight baggage rules, and more when you fly with Turkish Airlines.
Turkish Airlines Checked Baggage Allowance
The permitted amount of Turkish Airlines checked baggage allowance would be –
- The piece system used for international flights operates with the following checked luggage allowances:
- Turkish Airlines baggage weight must be within 50lb/23kg per bag. Passengers are allowed to carry 2 bags in Economy Class.
- two bags each weighing 70 pounds/32 kilograms for business class flights.
- 1 luggage plus 1 folding stroller or pushchair for infant travelers under 2 years old (50 lb/23 kg).
- The permitted amount of checked luggage for international flights using a weight system is:
- 44lb/20kg while flying economy (no restriction on the number of pieces).
- 66lb/30kg for business class tickets (no restriction on the number of pieces).
- 1 bag (22 lb/10 kg) for children under the age of 2 years and 1 pushchair or stroller that collapses.
Checked baggage limit for domestic flight – Below is the overview of the checked baggage limit and size for all class of service –
|Journey Class||Limit on Baggage Weight||Limit on Baggage Size|
|Business Class||30 kg||158 cm/62 in|
|Economy Class||23 kg||158 cm/62 in|
|Extrafly||44 lb/20 kg||158 cm/62 in|
|Ecofly||33 lb/ 15 kg||158 cm/62 in|
|Primefly||55 lb/25 kg||158 cm/62 in|
|Promotional Deal||33 lb/15 kg||158 cm/62 in|
Turkish Airline Baggage Limit for International Flights – Turkish Airlines’ baggage regulations state that there are two systems used for international flights:
- system of weight
- system of pieces
According to Turkish Airlines’ luggage regulations for international flights using the weight concept, the Business Class members can carry up to 66 pounds, and Economy Class passengers can carry up to 44 pounds as indicated below.
International Baggage Allowance— Weight System Flights on Turkish Airlines
|Class of Service||Limit on Baggage Piece||Limit on Baggage Weight|
|Business Class||No Limit||66 lb/30 kg|
|Economy Class||No Limit||44 lb/20 kg|
|All Classes||No Limit||22 lb/10 kg + 1 collapsible stroller (≤ 115cm)|
- Special benefits are available to Miles & Smiles members of Turkish Airlines. After achieving Elite or Elite Plus status, they are permitted to bring along more luggage.
- Members of Classic Plus can carry an extra 22lb/10kg.
- Elite Extra members are permitted to carry an additional 44lb/20kg. One additional bag is allowed on the routes where the piece system applies.
- Elite Plus members are allowed to carry an additional 55lb/25kg or one more bag on routes that use the piece system.
- Turkish Airlines baggage dimensions must not exceed 158cm or 62 linear inches.
For details on luggage restrictions, go to the Turkish Airlines Manage Booking section or dial
Restricted Baggage and Allowance – As per Turkish airlines baggage rules, here everything you need to know about the luggage restriction
- Your checked baggage must be properly packaged if it contains any liquids or semi-solids that could leak, spill, or be contaminated.
- In order to contain both the liquid and a protection, the liquid item that will be carried needs to be packaged in a vacuum, sealed, locked, or sticky bag.
- Any objects, such as cardboard or tin boxes, sacks, plastic bags, or containers, that pose a danger of leakage, spilling, or contamination are not permitted as free baggage or cabin luggage.
- A maximum of 5 liters of liquid can be transported in your checked luggage, and each container must be sealed in a maximum of 1-liter portions.
Turkish Airlines Excess Baggage Considerations
Turkish Airlines Baggage Rules states –
- Online excess baggage sales are available from 355 days to two hours before departure.
- Up to 10 checked baggage may be ordered online with the following restrictions:
- Turkish airlines baggage weight must be within 50 lb (23 kg) in total.
- A bag’s total size (L + W + H) cannot be greater than 158cm/62in.
- The combined weight of the 10 bags cannot be more than 506 lbs/230 kg.
- As per the current luggage regulations, there will be a charge for extra baggage.
Turkish Airlines Baggage Fees (Extra Baggage) – Turkish Airlines’ free baggage allowance is capped at 50lb/23kg. The Turkish Airlines extra baggage fee for international flights is 80 USD for each article. In addition –
For the first two additional bags and three or more additional bags, the Turkish Airlines extra baggage price varies from USD 160 to 290 per bag.
Turkish Airlines Carry-on Baggage Allowance
Your carry-on/cabin luggage allowance is determined by your class of travel, under Turkish Airlines baggage policy. Your free baggage allowance for up to two items is shown in the chart below. Additionally, you are permitted to carry one personal item up to 4 pounds (see the second table).
|Journey Class||Allowance (parts)||Maximum Weight||Maximum Size|
|Business Class||2||17.6lb/8kg||55 x 40 x 23 cm|
|Economy class||1||17.6lb/8kg||55 x 40 x 23 cm|
|0-2 years||1||17.6lb/8kg||55 x 40 x 23 cm|
Permitted Personal Items on Board
You may also bring any of the following goods at no additional charge in addition to your cabin baggage allowance. Below mentioned is the Turkish Airlines baggage size for each article
|Type of Personal Item||Maximum Size|
|Camera||40 x 30 x 15 cm|
|Laptop/Tablet||40 x 30 x 15 cm|
|Handbag||40 x 30 x 15 cm|
|Full-size stroller||40 x 40 cm 15.7 cm|
|Light stroller||70 x 30 cm 27.5 cm|
|Umbrella (not pointed)||90cm|
|Diaper bag||Free Size|
Turkish Airlines Baggage fees
Below is the overview of the baggage fee, as mentioned under the Turkish Airlines baggage policy. The fee varies with the travel route, such as –
|Travel Route||First Bag(in USD)||Second Bag (in USD)||Third Bag (in USD)||Fourth Bag (in USD)||Fifth Bag (in USD)|
|Flight within Turkey||30||40||150||200||250|
|Middle East (Except Dubai, and Qatar)||Free||30||40||150||200|
|The Indian Subcontinent||Free||40||150||200||250|
|USA and Canada||Free||Free||30||40||250|
|South American region||Free||Free||150||200||Not permitted|
|Trans Atlantic region||Free||Free||200||200||Not permitted|
|Trans Pacific region||Free||Free||200||200||Not permitted|
Lost or Delayed Baggage
According to Turkish Airlines lost baggage policy, you must contact the Misplaced & Found Office at the destination airport to report lodestination airportst luggage if it has been delayed. You will receive a 10-character reference number (5 letters and 5 digits) after submitting your complaint or report, which you may use in any subsequent contact to trace your luggage.
If a report hasn’t been sent to you by the time you’ve left the airport, you can submit an online application for Turkish airlines baggage tracking and notice of luggage disruptions.
Call Turkish Airlines baggage claim phone number to track the lost luggage.
Frequently Asked Questions
If you’re traveling to the United States on a route that employs the piece concept, Turkish Airlines allows two checked baggage.
Passengers may split their allotted weight between many items of baggage at locations that employ the weight concept. Up to 44 pounds can be brought on board in economy class and up to 66 pounds in business class.
Yes. If you’re traveling to the United States on a route that employs the piece concept, Turkish Airlines allows two checked baggage.
Passengers are allowed to bring one personal item inside the cabin with them that can fit beneath the seat in front.
Passengers are permitted to bring one free carry-on bag and one personal item bag.