After COVID-19, hand sanitizers and other hygiene items have become an essential part of our lives. While flying with these, there may be some uncertainties as liquids can be subject to some restrictions on planes.
This is one of the biggest reasons why people often wonder whether you can bring hand sanitizers on planes. The answer is yes but there are some rules by the Transportation Security Administration (TSA). Every passenger must read, understand, and abide by those rules to be able to carry these liquids.
Can You Keep Hand Sanitizer on the Plane?
Yes, passengers can travel with hand sanitizer while on the plane. However, the rule for bringing this item is not new as it has been here since 2006. But yes, you cannot bring gels, aerosols, and other restricted liquids onboard.
- All permitted liquid items including hand sanitizers should be placed in a clear bag.
- Ensure that the is of quart size and has a zip top.
- Lastly, you are advised to check the list given on your respective airline’s official website to have a clearer idea of the:
- liquid items,
- allowed quantity,
- and related rules for sanitizers.
How Much Hand Sanitizer Can I Bring on a Plane?
As per the standard TSA rules for liquid items including hand sanitizers, every ticketed passenger can only travel with 3.4 ounces or 100 ml. This also indicates how many ounces of liquids passengers can bring in this category. This limit is applied when they keep the product in their carry-on bags.
However, this limit has been modified a bit in recent times. Hence, you can bring more quantity of it. But it can vary from one air carrier to another. Hence, your chosen airline can best clarify it.
What is the Latest TSA Liquids Rule for Hand Sanitizer?
The normal limit is 3.4 ounces for liquid items such as hand sanitizers. The concerned authorities have modified this limit a few times back and this is for sometimes only.
- According to the latest rules of the TSA, you can bring a larger quantity of hand sanitizers.
- You can even store them in your carry-on bag.
- Until the next notice, passengers can bring a maximum of up to 12 ounces in their:
- carry-on bag
- as well as checked luggage.
- However, you are advised not to keep the container in the liquid bag.
- Just place it separately so that you can screen it with ease.
- The same amount can also be kept in the checked luggage.
- You can even buy some at the airport and carry them on the plane.
Can You Take Disinfecting Wipes on a Plane?
All types of wipes including the disinfecting ones can be kept in your carry-on or checked baggage. In addition to this, you must keep in mind that whether the wipes are wet or not, they are not considered liquid items. Hence, there are no specific limits on the number of wipes you can bring on a flight.
- Please keep in mind that these details are based on the latest rules of the TSA.
- They are applied when you are traveling from the USA’s airports to other nations.
- Other countries may have different policies.
- They may also have varying rules for liquid items such as hand sanitizers.
- So, check with the concerned department of that country to have better information.
Related: Can You Bring Perfume on a Plane
Summing it up
Even though you can use water and soap to wash your hands, it is not always convenient, especially when you are on a flight. At this time, hand sanitizers come truly useful. So, it is good to know how much you can carry in your personal or carry-on bag beforehand.
Frequently Asked Questions – FAQs
Yes, travelers are allowed to bring hand sanitizer on the plane.
Hand sanitizers are considered liquid items. Therefore, the TSA’s rules for liquids will be applied to these in terms of the limit.
The standard limit for hand sanitizer is 3.4 ounces or 100 ml. Since these products fall in the category of a liquid item, you cannot contravene the rule.
Keeping the ongoing outbreak of COVID-19, the TSA has increased the prescribed limit for hand sanitizers. As a result, people can now bring up to 12 ounces on the plane. However, this rule is for sometimes or until the next notice only.
Yes, you can keep hand sanitizers in your carry-on bag. But do not forget to check the limit of liquid items.
Hand sanitizers can be packed in the checked baggage but it is good to keep them in a separate bag for easy screening at the time of check-in.
In accordance with the TSA, all passengers should keep all liquid items (permitted ones) in a clear zip-top bag. The size should be a quart and it must be leak-proof.
Yes, you can keep hand sanitizer wipes including disinfecting wipes, makeup wipes, baby wipes, etc.