Traveling with pets is not an easy task for people. But if they choose Cathay Pacific, the entire process can become simpler. It is because the airline takes proper care of every furry guest. However, passengers planning their trip with their animals are advised to read the Cathay Pacific pet policy to know the applicable rules, fees, etc.
Pet Policy: Important Rules
While planning your next trip with your furry friend, you are advised to check everything (container-related details mainly) beforehand. For this, you can visit the nearest ticketing/reservation office of Cathay Pacific at least 2 days before the flight’s time.
To bring your animal in the cabin or onboard, you will need to keep the following in mind:
- The container should be as per the suggested dimension and weight.
- According to the airline, the combined weight of the cage should be up to 70 lbs or 32 kg. The size must be up to 80 inches or 203 cm (linear).
- Always bring vaccination certificates, health documents, entry permits, and other important documents while transiting or visiting a country.
- Keep your animal well-hydrated and healthy before departure.
- For flights more than 12 hours, you will be allowed to provide water to your pet.
- Please make sure that the water container is not filled overly.
- The kennel needs to be leak-proof, escape-proof, clean, and have enough breathing holes or space.
- It should have enough room for your animal to stand, lie down, and turn around easily.
- You can get the kennel that has attached food containers inside.
- Non-spill containers for water are accepted.
Note: The boarding of your pet can be denied if you do not meet or follow the rules mentioned above.
Special Guidelines for Dogs and Cats’ Carriers
When you want to bring a dog or cat onboard, you will need to meet the guidelines for their containers. As per the Cathay Pacific pets-in-the-cabin policy, some special requirements or guidelines for kennels include the following:
- The airline only accepts kennels that are made of rigid plastic, strongly welded metal, and solid fiberglass.
- Wooden containers are not permitted.
- Kennels that are entirely made of wire mesh or welded mesh are not allowed.
- The purchased dog container should be easy to handle for the staff and provide complete protection to the animal.
- Always choose cages made of metal, solid plastic or fiberglass, and wood.
- You will not be allowed to have wire mesh or welded mesh cages.
- The containers must be safe and easy to handle.
Check-in Details while Traveling with Pets
While traveling with your dog or cat, you will need to check in at the airport. This is because the online facility is not available for passengers with pets. You will need to reach the airport at least 3 hours before the actual departure time to complete the check-in and other formalities.
Pet Policy for Cargo Transportation
Along with dogs and cats, you can transport several other types of animals i.e. rats, mice, reptiles, guinea pigs, horses, pigs, birds, and so on through the cargo service. However, you will need to read, understand, and follow the rules that are given in the Cathay Pacific pets cargo policy.
In sync with the animal-in-cargo rules, you will need to have the following with you. Please note that these are the requirements of the majority of nations:
- You should have valid export or import permits from the nation’s relevant department or authority.
- Valid vaccination records and health documents from a certified vet will be needed.
- These certificates should state that your dog or cat is rabies-free and has no other diseases too.
- Any other additional document required by the concerned authorities or the travel country is important.
- Shipment and related permits will be required.
- Other documents like tickets with correct names are needed.
- Read the Rules of Cathay Pacific to change the name on the ticket in case you want to modify something or rectify the mistake done in the name.
Important: Some nations may ask you to microchip your pet or complete the quarantine period after arrival. You must contact the destination country’s authorities, embassy, or consulate for detailed information.
Container and Related Requirements
The design and construction of the carrier should meet the guidelines of the IATA Live Animal Regulations. You must comply with the below-listed rules:
- The containers should be appropriately sized, leak-proof, well-ventilated, etc.
- It should be constructed with rigid plastic, fiberglass, or welded metal.
- Wooden carriers will not be allowed.
- Foldable cages with removable pins will not be accepted.
- If the wheels are attached to the cage, you should remove them before boarding.
- The carriers should have a maximum opening of 25 x 25 cm for dogs and 19 x 19 cm for cats.
- The food and water containers should be separated.
- Always follow watering and feeding instructions.
Important Checklist for Eligibility to Fly
Some more important points of Cathay Pacific’s pet policy have been given below:
- All kittens and puppies should be weaned.
- The minimum age of the pet should be 8 weeks.
- Some countries such as the United Kingdom may have different rules. Browse through the official website of DEFRA for more information.
- Keep all the necessary documents with you.
- For animals except for dogs and cats, contact the local cargo office of Cathay Pacific for advance booking.
What to Expect on the Departure Day?
To make the next journey stress-free for your furry being, you must do the following:
- Bring its favorite toy and place it inside the carrier.
- Remove the harness, collar, or vests before putting them into the crate.
- Take the wheels of the container out.
- Meet the pet’s vet before the journey to ensure that it is healthy and fully fit for the flight.
- Always give a little water along with a light meal at least 3 hours before the departure time.
- Take your animals to the toilet before placing them inside the cage before boarding.
- Keep the original copies of the health documents and other certificates.
Pet Travel Fees
Depending on the travel route chosen, Cathay Pacific’s pet travel cost will be calculated based on the weight or piece. Below are the tables to know the applicable fee:
|Cost Measurement as per Container Weight|
|From||To Zone 1||To Zone 2||To Zone 3||To Zone 4|
|Hong Kong SAR||USD 13/kg||USD 20/kg||USD 25/kg||USD 45/kg|
|Zone 1||USD 15/kg||–||–||–|
|Cost Measurement per Container|
|From||To Zone 1||To Zone 2/3||To Zone 4||To Zone 5/6|
|Hong Kong SAR||USD 200/piece||USD 260/piece||USD 300/piece||USD 400/piece|
|Zone 1||USD 240/piece||–||–||–|
You will need to pay an additional price if the cage is more than the maximum weight or size. Here are the details of the additional pet fee:
|Additional Charge||To Zone 1||To Zone 2/3||To Zone 4||To Zone 5/6|
|Hong Kong SAR||USD 60||USD 100||USD 130||USD 150|
|Zone 1||USD 80||–||–||–|
Note: The airline will collect the fee in the local currency equivalent to the amount mentioned in the tables above.
Zone and Related Information
To know more about the zones, we have tabulated the details below:
|Zone 1||East & Central Asia|
· Russia (in Asia)
· South Korea
South East Asia
· Vietnam Indonesia
|Zone 2||South Asia|
· Sri Lanka
|Zone 3||Middle East|
· United Arab Emirates
· Saudi Arabia
|Zone 4||South West Pacific|
· New Zealand
· Czech Republic
· United Kingdom
· South Africa
|Zone 5||North America|
· United States
|Zone 6||South and Central America|
Cathay Pacific Pet Policy for Service Animals
The airline only accepts dogs as service/assistance/guide animals. These dogs should be fully trained to help customers with special needs while on the flight. Here are some important aspects of the policy for service dogs:
- It should be authorized by Assistance Dogs International, Assistance Dogs Europe, or International Guide Dog Federation (IGDF).
- Inform the airline about your service dog at least 2 days before the trip.
- Your animal should meet and fulfill the destination-specific requirements.
- For instance, to travel to Hong Kong, you will need a special permit from the country’s Hong Kong Agriculture, Fisheries and Conservation Department (AFCD).
- Keep original copies of the documentation related to training, health, and vaccine.
- Let the dog sit on the floor and around your feet if it is big.
- Small animals, on the other hand, can be kept on your lap.
- You must harness or leash your dog properly throughout the journey.
- Its health and other requirements will be the responsibility of the owner.
NOTE: Service dogs cannot travel to or from the Chinese Mainland due to safety reasons. The airline has suspended its services temporarily.
How to Add a Pet to Your Trip on Cathay Pacific?
To add your pet to the trip, you can connect with the customer assistance team via a phone call. Below are nation-wise contact details:
- Argentina: +54 (11) 52741600
- Australia: +852 27472747
- Hong Kong SAR (China): +852 2747 3333
- Madagascar: +261 2022 34602
- South Africa: +27 (21) 672 2368
- Costa Rica: +506 2257 5745
- Canada: +852 27472747
- Brazil: (55) 11 4371-0443
- India: 000-800-050-2163 (toll-free)
- Bangladesh: +880 1978666138 and +8802 222285802
- Mexico: +(52) 55 9000 2560
- United States: +852 27472747
- United Arab Emirates: +971 800 049 866 and +971 800 049 867
- Russia: +7 (495) 620 9322
- United Kingdom: +44 20 7660 8992
- Taiwan: +888 (2) 7752 4883 and +886 (2) 7752 4883
Note: This is just an indicative list of contact numbers. You can browse through the official website for Cathay Airlines details. You can also visit the nearest reservation center to add your animal to your flight.
Cathay Pacific is a prominent air operator with customer and pet-friendly policies. You should check and understand everything related to its pet policy to have an easy-breezy trip.
Frequently Asked Questions
Find out the answers to frequently asked questions about the pet policy of Cathay Pacific.
Yes, Cathay Pacific is considered one of the best airlines when it comes to transporting your pet.
No, only dogs and cats are allowed in the cabin. For other pets, you can opt for cargo services.
As per its cargo policy, you can transport horses. However, you will need a special permit from the destination country for it.
Every country has different phone numbers to address and resolve pet travel and related queries. Kindly refer to the official website to know the contact number of your specific nation or region.
You can get in touch with the carrier to infer about its pet cargo charges.
Depending on the travel destination and other factors, the pet fee may vary. You can connect with the airline via a phone call to know the exact application fee as per your chosen route.