You must be aware of the terms of Delta flight cancellation policy if you have purchased a ticket there and wish to cancel it. You may have all your questions concerning Delta Airlines’ cancellation policy and the requirements for receiving full refunds answered on this website. For information on Delta’s cancellation charges, the cancellation procedure, and ways to avoid paying cancellation charges, go through the sections below.
Guidelines to Cancel the Flight on Delta
When you make a direct reservation with Delta, you can cancel your flight without incurring any fees if you’re doing so within 24 hours of the booking. In addition –
- If a delay occurs for 3 hours or more,passengers are entitled for Delta cancellation waiver, and claim a refund on the unused portion of the itinerary.
- Basic Economy tickets are non-transferable and non-refundable unless otherwise specified in the 24-hour flexible booking policy.
- You are entitled to a full refund if an airline cancels your flight or significantly alters the itinerary. You are entitled to a refund if your itinerary has undergone a major modification and you decide not to book the flight.
- Delta airlines cancellation policy would be applicable on the restricted and non-restricted fare.
Delta main cabin cancellation policy would be applicable after the 24 hours of booking. A cancellation fee would be applicable.
Delta Free Ticket cancellation
As per the Delta cancellation policy, the following situations qualify for Delta free ticket cancellation and refund:
- You are entitled to a COVID-19 fee exemption for your flight (explained below).
- There are no cancellation fee on your Delta Airlines ticket (save for Basic Economy) provided you cancel the reservation within 24 hours of purchase:
1. Travel inside the US, Puerto Rico, the Caribbean, Mexico or US Virgin Islands.
2. Your flight (including partner codeshare & joint venture flights) departs from North
America and arrives anywhere in the world.
3. The Caribbean and the United States/Mexico are the destinations of your flight.
- Your flight is delayed by Delta for more than 120 minutes.
- You paid for a reimbursable fare.
- If the passenger or traveling partner passes away, you can present the relevant papers.
- You own an award ticket and are a member of Delta’s Platinum or Diamond Medallion program.
- Passengers traveling under military deployment (subject to documentary proof).
Note- An eCredit’s standard validity duration is one year, however, it has been extended to December 31, 2023. This means that as long as you rebook your flight by December 31, 2023, you can travel whenever you like through December 31, 2024, using your Delta e-credit.
Delta COVID Cancellation Policy
The Delta COVID flight cancellation process has recently been updated to be highly user-friendly. No matter what kind of fare you choose, you probably won’t have to pay a hefty penalty to cancel a Delta ticket.
Since the COVID-19 travel waiver period expired on April 30, 2021, Delta is now extending several advantages to travelers through December 31, 2022, and beyond. Add to that –
- As per Delta Covid cancellation policy, no fee would be assessed if passengers flight is disrupted or canceled due to Covid outbreak.
- The refund would be applicable on the unused portion of the itinerary.
- Passengers are also entitled to get Delta flight cancellation compensation.
Delta 24 hour cancellation policy
For all tickets booked directly from Delta Airlines, the airline’s 24-hour risk-free flight cancellation policy is in effect. Concerning this policy, you have 24 hours to change or cancel any Delta flight without penalty and receive a full refund, regardless of your fare type.
Please note – Delta passengers are only eligible for full refund within 24 hours if the scheduled departure date must be at least 7 days or more at the time of booking.
Exceptions: Delta 24-hour cancellation policy does not apply to:
- Ticket purchased through a travel agency.
- Paper tickets
- Reissued partially flown tickets.
- 10 or more passengers on the same itinerary.
- SkyMiles Award tickets are not eligible for 24 hours cancellation.
You must contact Delta Reservations to cancel a SkyMiles Award ticket.
Please note – Passengers can also make changes for free within 24 hours of purchase. To know more, refer to Delta Flight Change Policy.
Delta Airlines refund policy
The particulars of your ticket, such as the fare type and when and how you bought it, will determine whether you are eligible for a Delta Airlines refund policy. If you are not eligible for a refund under Delta’s refund policy, you will be given an eCredit for future travel instead.
- Free cancellations and refunds within 24 hours- Regardless of the price type, if you cancel your ticket within the 24-hour timeframe, you will instantly get a refund to the payment method you used initially. Other than canceling your ticket, there is nothing else you need to do. The rules of your ticket’s fare type will govern the refund after the complimentary 24-hour cancellation period.
- Tickets with a refund- If you bought a refundable ticket, you can cancel after 24 hours and are subject to a cancellation fee.
- Non-refundable tickets- Tickets that aren’t returnable can’t be refunded in cash, but you can obtain an e-credit for the balance of your ticket instead (minus the applicable cancellation fee, if any). The e-credit may be used to pay for a different Delta flight ticket throughout the (now extended) validity term.
- Delta airlines flight canceled refund is applicable under the following circumstances –
- Flight is overbooked
- Major schedule change for 4 or more hours
- Flight schedule is canceled by the airlines.
Delta Flight Cancellation Compensation
U.S. laws do not mandate airlines to provide customers with Delta compensation for delayed or canceled flights if their Delta flight is within the country or does not originate from a terminal in the European Union. You may be entitled for compensation, as per Delta flight cancellation policy
- If a Delta flight is oversold and you are “bumped” from it in a non-EU airport.
- If you are unintentionally bumped from a Delta flight leaving from a location in the European Union, the flight is delayed by three hours or more, it is canceled, or both.
The following applies to Delta flight cancellation compensation for flights leaving from EU airports:
The payout for Refused Boarding on a Delta Flight (Flights departing from a non-EU airport)
|Should Delta set up alternate transportation||200% of the ticket or USD 675, whichever is less, to your subsequent stopover or ultimate destination (incl. surcharges and taxes)|
|If Delta is unable to set up alternate Transportation||400% of the ticket or USD 1,350, whichever is less, to your subsequent stopover or ultimate destination (incl. surcharges and taxes)|
Delta canceled flight compensation (Under EC 261 for flights departing from the EU)
|Flights under 1,500 kilometers||EUR 250 maximum per passenger|
|Flights over 1,500 kilometers within the EU||EUR 400 maximum per passenger|
|Flights outside the EU between 1,500 and 3,500 kilometers||EUR 400 maximum per passenger|
|Flights outside the EU that are longer than 3,500km||EUR 600 maximum per passenger|
How to cancel a flight with Delta Airlines
Passengers can cancel the Delta flight online, through Customer Service as well as at the airport.
Online – To cancel within 24 hours or beyond, follow these steps to request Delta cancellation online –
- Visit Delta Airlines Manage Booking tab.
- Enter the booking reference and the passenger’s last name
- Simply press the “Need to Cancel?” button.
- Then, proceed by clicking “Start Flight Cancellation.”
- Refunds will be sent to your original method of payment in full.
By Phone – Call the local Delta office in your area or country at 1-800-123-6645. Ask the Delta representative to cancel the reservation.
At the airport – Visit the Delta check-in counter to cancel the flight last-minute, make sure that you request the Delta flight cancellations up to 3 hours prior to scheduled departure.
Delta Cancellation Fee
Depending on the type of ticket you’ve bought and when you cancel it, Delta will charge a different cancellation fee. There are various kinds of tickets.
- The most limiting tickets are those in Basic Economy.
- Tickets that are non-refundable and are subject to limitations.
- The most adaptable tickets are those that can be refunded.
Keep in mind that you must cancel your ticket before the departure of your journey. The table that follows provides a summary of Delta flight cancellation policy per fare category and cancellation window, as well as the associated cancellation costs.
|Time Period||Basic Economy||Non-refundable fare||Refundable fare|
|Under 24 hour risk-free cancellation||No fee||No fee||No fee|
|After 24 hours of purchase||Remaining value minus 100-200 USD cancellation fee||Remaining value minus 200-400 USD cancellation fee||200 USD|
|Within 24 hours of scheduled departure||Remaining value minus 100-200 USD cancellation fee||Remaining value minus 200-400 USD cancellation fee||200 USD|
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, you modify your flight and receive a full refund if you purchase your ticket directly from Delta and cancel it within 24 hours.
Yes, you can cancel a Delta flight within 24 hours If you made a direct booking with Delta Airlines, you can cancel and receive a refund for any Delta ticket without paying any fees within 24 hours. However, if you bought your ticket from a third party, be sure to ask them what the cancellation policies are.
Passengerswill be rebooked on an alternative flight, or your ticket will be converted to an e-credit for future Delta travel.
By visiting your airline’s website and inputting your flight information, you can check the status of your flight and find out immediately whether it is on time, delayed, or canceled.
Yes, offer a 24-hour risk-free cancellation period for tickets bought straight from Delta, including Basic Economy rates.
Yes, you receive a refund. The full cost of your flight ticket will always be refunded.
Your Delta Airlines reservation can be canceled over the phone or online using an app. Dial toll-free or a Delta office in your nation to cancel by phone.
Initially, follow the instructions Delta provides in its communication.
The simplest way to cancel a Delta flight is online, so introverts rejoice. Select the trip you want to modify or cancel in My Trips after logging into your Delta SkyMiles account. To cancel the flight.
If you had trip reservations during the epidemic, you probably canceled them. Many airlines, notably Delta Air Lines, updated their cancellation procedures to make it simpler to schedule a different flight in the future without incurring additional costs.
The best way to comprehend Delta’s cancellation policy is to be aware of the different ticket types’ fare constraints. They include the following types:
simple economics (most restrictive).
Nonrefundable (certain limits) (some restrictions).
Refundable (most flexible) (most flexible).
Yes, Depending on the date you wish to cancel and the fare type you bought, a Delta flight will cost you anything.
Yes, Delta has made several embarrassing public mistakes recently about the dependability of its flights, but it’s not the only one.
mechanical concerns and weather-related issues
not enough pilots