New York City (NYC) has been one of the go-to locations for Hollywood. Its main attractions are Central Park and the Empire State Building. Boston, MA (Massachusetts) is notable for the first public park and public school. With over 5,000 startups, the city is regarded as a global leader in innovation and entrepreneurship.
To go from Boston to NYC, either for work or a vacay, you need to familiarise yourself with how far is Boston from New York City. You should also know the different ways through which you can reach the city in Massachusetts. This reading unfolds such information to help you create an ideal travel plan.
Driving Non-stop from New York City to Boston by Road
|Nonstop Driving Distance||216 Miles/348 KM|
|Nonstop Driving Time||3 Hours 50 Minutes|
Driving your car non-stop from New York City to Boston can turn out to be really long. However, if you believe in completing the journey in one go by car, then do keep in mind that the route between Boston and New York will stretch up to 216 miles spanning over 3.5 hours. Based on your choice of route, departure time, and day, both distance and time may vary.
Estimated Drive Time Between New York City to Boston
|Average Speed||Travel Time|
|30 mph (48 km/h)||07 hours 12 minutes|
|40 mph (64 km/h)||05 hours 24 minutes|
|50 mph (80 km/h)||04 hours 19 minutes|
|60 mph (97 km/h)||03 hours 36 minutes|
|70 mph (112 km/h)||03 hours 05 minutes|
|75 mph (120 km/h)||02 hours 52 minutes|
While driving from NYC to Boston, there are 3 routes to choose from:
- The first route will take you via CT-15 N and I-90 E, while the second one will take you via I-90 E. These routes are nearly similar due to the following reasons:
- Both routes cover approximately 215 miles in 3.5 hours.
- Initially, these routes are the same for a brief moment, after which they get separated. However, the majority of the journey is covered through the same places.
- The third route available is I-84 E which is marginally longer than the other two routes.
- Here, 226 miles can be covered in 3 hours and 45 minutes.
- The I-84 E goes entirely different from the other two routes and has no resemblance other than the starting and ending points.
Flying Non-stop from New York to Boston
|Nonstop Flying Distance||190 miles/306 km|
|Nonstop Flying Time||1 Hour 20 Minutes|
If you want to save the effort of driving and want to reach Boston, then flying is suggested. There are multiple options to travel by air. These options take the same time to reach Boston from New York. You can prefer your own jet for reaching the city in MA. Or, you can select a commercial flight via a suitable airline. There are at least 8 airlines that serve on the New York-Boston route. In the case of commercial flights, you will have to take into account the travel time for each respective airport and the various security-oriented procedures.
Road Trip from New York to Boston
Keeping in mind that from Boston to NYC, the distance is nearly 215 miles, planning a road trip can be ideal. There are many iconic cities along the way, such as Concord, New Haven, Bronx, Springfield, etc., and as many as 38 stops en route.
Let us now look at the best stops on your way. You can choose any of the stops as per your choice and modify the suggested itinerary as per your road trip plan.
- American Museum of Natural History: The American Museum of Natural History can be the first place in your itinerary. It is 20 minutes/7.9 miles away from NYC and showcases many natural wonders, ranging from dinosaurs to outer space.
- The Frick Collection: The Frick Collection was earlier a millionaire’s house, but is now a museum showcasing Western European Art. It is quite close to the American Museum at 4 minutes/1.2 miles.
- Central Park: Some of you may know Central Park from many movies, especially Madagascar. It features a zoo, boat rentals, and a reservoir. You can reach this place on foot from The Frick Collection. It is 3 minutes/0.8 mile away from The Frick Collection.
- U.S. Military Academy Visitors Centre: U.S. military is about 1 hour or 49 miles away from Central Park.
- Splish Splash Water Park: The Splish Splash Water Park is a theme park where you can enjoy many fun water-based activities with your friends and family. Although it is quite far at 116 miles/2 hours, you can relax in the pool and let go in the water tubes later on.
- Yale University: Yale is globally one of the most famous institutes. It is a member of the Ivy League and is known for its liberal arts, drama, and music programs. You can even take a ferry to Yale from Splish Splash. The road distance is about 131 miles/2 hours and 6 minutes, considering you go entirely by road. It takes nearly the same time to travel 57 miles by a ferry.
Airports and Flights to Reach Boston from New York
Considering you have to fly to Boston from NYC, you would have to reach the New York Airport, that is, John F. Kennedy International Airport (JFK). After departing from JFK, you will reach the Boston Airport or General Edward Lawrence Logan International Airport.
There are about 8 airlines that serve on the New York-Boston route. These airlines provide more than 150 options of flights between Boston and New York.
We have mentioned the names of these airlines below:
|Spirit Airlines||Frontier Airlines||Delta Airlines|
|United Airlines||American Airlines||JetBlue|
|Cape Air||Southwest Airlines|
These airlines offer both non-stop and stoppage-based options. The non-stop flights can take you in as short as 80 minutes, whereas the stoppage-based flights can extend up to 23.5 hours.
The distance between New York City and Boston is around 216 miles. You can cover it either via road or air. Here, we elaborated more on the ways to reach the city. Let us know which mode you will be preferring. Also, share with us any suggestions that can be useful.
Travelers who are fond of exploring may want to visit Houston. In our post on how far is San Antonio from Houston, we have shared the relevant information you need prior to exploring it.