Chicago is one of the largest and fastest-growing cities in the U.S. Its art institutions and awe-inspiring museums are famous worldwide. New York City is the abode to exemplary skyscrapers and exciting nightlife. It is also the city with the biggest business tycoons. These cities are the most visited locations by tourists in the U.S.
As Chicago and NYC are located in different states, proper comprehension of how far is Chicago from New York City is necessary for traveling. Additional information about varied transport options and the different routes can also be useful. Such are the details that we will be looking at here.
Non-stop Driving Time & Distance from New York City to Chicago
Nonstop Driving Distance
796 Miles/1281 KM
Nonstop Driving Time
12 Hours 15 Minutes
You can drive non-stop from NY to Chicago if you are traveling with friends or family. Non-stop rides are less time-consuming with more order and regulation. The following will help you understand how far is Chicago from New York by non-stop car driving:
Estimated Drive Time Between New York City to Chicago
|Average Speed||Travel Time|
|30 mph (48 km/h)||26 hours 32 minutes|
|40 mph (64 km/h)||19 hours 54 minutes|
|50 mph (80 km/h)||15 hours 55 minutes|
|60 mph (97 km/h)||13 hours 16 minutes|
|70 mph (112 km/h)||11 hours 22 minutes|
|75 mph (120 km/h)||10 hours 36 minutes|
New York to Chicago distance by road can be covered using this route.
- I-80 W: I-80 W stretching from San Francisco in the West to Teaneck in the East is a transcontinental freeway.You can drive from Chicago to NYC via this route by following the ramp onto I-280 W. Then take the exit on I-80W to continue onto I-90W. Take the exit at 51H and keep left at W Ida B. Continue onto W Van Buren St and turn right at S Federal St to reach Chicago, Illinois.
Tip: You can prefer taking this route in the afternoon as it is a period of light traffic with no heavy vehicles.
How Far is New York from Chicago by Flying Non-stop?
713 Miles/1147 KM
1 Hour and 49 Minutes
You can easily cover the miles from NYC to Chicago by flying non-stop. Usually, non-stop flying is preferred by entrepreneurs for fast travel. Business trips can be made more organized and time-efficient with non-stop flights. For continuously flying to reach NYC or Chicago, your options include:
- Private Jets
- Public Planes
Note: Chicago experiences extreme snowstorms in January while New York is partly cloudy year-round. Therefore, these weather changes may influence flying conditions.
Road Trip from New York City to Chicago
To reduce the pressure and stress that comes with driving long distances, you can drive with short breaks in the form of a road trip. Most of the tourists take road trips to cover the distance between Chicago and New York as they make the journey very delightful.
Road Trip Time
1 Days of Driving
5 Hours on Road
You can stop at the following locations on your road trip:
- Wilkes Barre
- Black Moshannon State Park
- South Bend
The itinerary below can help you understand how far is Chicago from New York with stops along the way:
- You may start your trip in New York City.
- Driving for 2.5 hours from NYC will get you to Wilkes Barre. Known as “The Diamond City”, it is famous for Kirby Park, Falls Trail, PNC Field, and Shickshinny Falls.
- Then drive for about 1.5 hours to reach Williamsport. Williamsport in Pennsylvania is known for its extraordinary art scenes. Here, yoit is famous for Kirby Park, Falls Trail, PNC Field, and Shickshinny Fallsu can visit the Community Arts Center, Millionaire’s Row, and Nomad Distilling.
- Next, drive for 1.5 hours to reach Black Moshannon State Park. You can enjoy biking, hiking, and camping here. This park also allows boat rentals in the summer.
- A drive of 3 hours will help you reach Youngstown. Youngstown is a major tourist attraction with spots like Mill Creek Park, Lanterman’s Mill, and Idora Park. Stay overnight here.
- The next morning, drive for an hour to arrive in Cleveland. Cleveland is a popular city on Lake Erie known for its art and history. Here, you can visit, Cleveland Museum of Art, Metroparks Zoo.
- To reach your next stop, Toledo, drive for about two hours. Some places to visit here include the Toledo Museum of Art, Toledo Zoo, and Imagination Station.
- From Toledo, drive for about 1.5 hours to arrive in Coldwater. Coldwater offers great tourist experiences with spots like Tibbits Opera House, Wing House Museum, and Little River Railroad.
- Drive for 1.5 hours to reach South Bend. The major museums that you can visit here include Studebaker Museum, Snite Art Museum, and The History Museum.
- Finally, drive for 1.5 hours to reach Chicago, Illinois.
Note: Slight changes in the itinerary may be necessary due to alternating traffic conditions.
Airports and Flights from New York City to Chicago
Commercial flights are a popular travel choice among the general public. They offer quality services at feasible prices. Hence, they become the most preferred transport option from New York City to Chicago.
These 2 airports provide scheduled flights from NYC to Chicago:
- JFK or John. F Kennedy International Airport
- ORD or Chicago O’Hare International Airport
Here is how far is Chicago from New York by plane:
- Commercial Flight Time: 2 hours and 17 minutes
- Travel Time: 6 hours
Note: The driving time from JFK to Chicago is added to the total flying time from NYC to Chicago. This increases the overall travel time.
New York City to Chicago by Bus
791 Miles/1272 KM
A cost-efficient way to travel the distance between Chicago and New York is by bus. Buses are traveler-friendly too. Few buses also provide food and drinks to the passengers, thus, offering quality services.
Route: Buses from NYC follow the 625 8th AVE Road through Pittsburgh to reach Chicago in Illinois.
The buses may stop at these stations:
- Van Galder
- Van Buren
How far is Chicago from New York City was elaborated here. The available transport options were discussed. The ideal road routes, stops, and airports were briefly described. We hope that this guide will be useful when you plan your journey.