Fort Lauderdale lies on the southeastern coast of Florida. Being a coastal city, Fort Lauderdale is famous for its beaches and boating canals. Miami too is a famous tourist spot in Florida. It is mostly renowned for its popular attractions that include Wynwood Walls, Everglades, and Little Havana.
To visit these elegant cities, understanding how far is Fort Lauderdale from Miami is immensely important. Along with the distance, you should also know the various modes by which you can travel to these cities. In this guide, we have discussed everything about Fort Lauderdale and Miami to assist you in planning a vacation.
Non-stop Driving Time & Distance from Miami to Fort Lauderdale
|Nonstop Driving Distance|
28 Miles/45 KM
|Nonstop Driving Time|
The distance between Fort Lauderdale and Miami can be covered by various means, one of which is by driving non-stop. This mode of transport can be preferred by those who do not want to spend much time on the road.
Estimated Driving Time Between Miami to Fort Lauderdale
|Average Speed||Travel Time|
|30 mph (48 km/h)||56 minutes|
|40 mph (64 km/h)||42 minutes|
|50 mph (80 km/h)||33 minutes|
|60 mph (97 km/h)||27 minutes|
|70 mph (112 km/h)||24 minutes|
|75 mph (120 km/h)||22 minutes|
Take the following route to travel easily from Miami to Fort Lauderdale:
- I-95 N – I-95 N, which stands for Interstate 95, is a North-South interstate HIghway in the Eastern United States. Its South-end is in U.S. 1 in Miami. Its North-end is in the border crossing of Houlton-Woodstock. To reach Fort Lauderdale from Miami, merge with the I-95 road from S Miami Ave. Keep left at the Y-Junction and take the exit toward 27 Downtown. From here, merge with W Broward Blvd to reach Fort Lauderdale in Florida. Miami to Fort Lauderdale drive, being just about 40 minutes, helps the travelers in easily covering the distance.
Tip: In case you are traveling South via the I-95 N route, avoid driving between 7 a.m. and 9 a.m. Do not travel North via the I-95 N route between 3 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. This road will be packed with heavy traffic during these hours.
Flying Non-stop from Miami to Fort Lauderdale
|Nonstop Distance in Air|
24 Miles/39 KM
|Nonstop Time in Air|
When trying to cover the distance from Miami to Fort Lauderdale, you can choose to fly non-stop. It surely is a quick and efficient way to save your travel time. To fly without any stops, travel in private jets, helicopters, or public planes.
Though there is not much difference between the travel time of non-stop driving and non-stop flying, flying usually is less tiresome. However, you can choose the mode of travel that is most accessible to you depending on your budget and other requirements.
Tip: The climate in Fort Lauderdale is mostly hot and oppressive year-round. Also, it is mostly cloudy. Miami experiences a tropical monsoon type of climate. Therefore, always check the weather conditions before flying to Miami or FT Lauderdale. It is best to avoid flying in the rainy season.
Road Trip from Miami to Fort Lauderdale
Since the driving distance between FT Lauderdale and Miami is short, you can take a road trip between these cities. A neatly planned road trip will allow you to visit pleasant sites.
You can stop at the following sites to enjoy your quick drive:
- Little Haiti
- Miami Gardens
- Aventura Mall
- Hollywood in Florida
- Las Olas Boulevard
You can go through the following itinerary to plan the perfect road trip from Miami to Fort Lauderdale by car:
- Start your journey in Miami.
- Drive for just 11 minutes to reach your first stop, Little Haiti. Little Haiti is a neighborhood in Miami, Florida known for its extravagant street murals.
- Then, take a quick 17-minute drive to Miami Gardens from Little Haiti. You can spend an hour in Miami Gardens visiting the various attractions that the city has to offer. Dolphin Stadium and Sun Life Stadium are the most popular among the various attractions of Miami Gardens. Additionally, you can also visit Calder Casino, Miami Carol City Park, and Miami Brew tours in this city.
- From Miami Gardens, drive for 13 minutes to get to Aventura Mall. You can spend up to an hour in this major shopping destination of Florida.
- After leaving Aventura Mall, drive for 9 minutes to reach Hollywood (Florida). Here, you can visit the Anne Kolb Nature Centre and Hollywood Beach. This city on the East coast of Florida has exciting experiences waiting for its visitors. Thus, enjoy this city for one whole hour.
- A drive of 17 minutes will help you reach Las Olas Boulevard. Here, you can visit Zola Keller, Swimland, and Maus and Hoffman. Also, enjoy a delicious steak at Chima Brazilian Steakhouse. Stay for an hour in Las Olas Boulevard.
- At last, drive for 5 minutes to reach Fort Lauderdale, Florida.
Note: You are always open to making changes in the mentioned itinerary during your road trip from Miami, Fl. to Fort Lauderdale, Fl.
All the three major travel options between Miami and Fort Lauderdale were discussed in this guide. The best route to reach Ft Lauderdale from Miami was also mentioned. Further, an itinerary to assist you in planning a road trip was shown. The time and distance taken via flying were additionally explained.
Which travel mode will you prefer? Let us know by dropping a comment.
Also, go through our other guide explaining how far is Jacksonville from Orlando. You can also plan another great trip by reading our guide on how far is Chicago from Cleveland.