Be it a fun vacation or a much-needed break from work, Houston and Atlanta can be the perfect travel destinations for you. Houston, the largest metropolis in Texas, is the world capital of petroleum exploration. This city is the epitome of fast-paced development and urbanization. Located in Georgia, Atlanta is a major tourist center offering exotic attractions and adventurous experiences. Home to several significant historic sites, Atlanta claims the title of being the city with the most diverse culture.
You can make use of the various transport modes to travel to these cities. Houston to Atlanta drive via cars, public buses, and airplanes can be the most preferred travel options. You can also choose the other modes based on your requirements while covering the distance between these cities.
Driving Non-stop from Houston to Atlanta
792 Miles or 1275 KM
11 Hours and 19 Minutes
Cars can be a suitable option to visit Houston or Atlanta. To efficiently reduce the drive time from Atlanta to Houston, TX, you can go for the non-stop mode of driving. Driving non-stop is free from any kind of difficulties and offers the traveler a comfortable experience. This can be the best travel choice for professionals and businessmen.
Estimated Driving Time from Atlanta to Houston
|Average Speed||Travel Time|
|30 mph (48 km/h)||26 hours, 24 minutes|
|40 mph (64 km/h)||19 hours, 48 minutes|
|50 mph (80 km/h)||15 hours, 50 minutes|
|60 mph (97 km/h)||13 hours, 12 minutes|
|70 mph (112 km/h)||11 hours, 18 minutes|
|75 mph (120 km/h)||10 hours, 33 minutes|
You can prefer the following route when driving non-stop from Houston, TX, to Atlanta, GA
- I-10 E: I-10 E is one of the longest Interstate Highways in the U.S. It has its west end in Santa Monica and east end in Jacksonville. It also passes through Alabama and Mississippi. To reach Atlanta, you can stay left on the Y-Junction of I-10 E from where you can exit toward the I-12 E. Then take the next exit at 171 toward I-85 N. Afterward. merge with the Central Ave SW and turn right onto Mitchell ST SW. Turn left at the Capitol Square SW after this to arrive in Atlanta, Georgia.
Tip: This route has been suggested to cover the Houston to Atlanta drive time at the earliest. You may find less traffic on the I-10 E route.
This route can also be taken from Houston to San Antonio. Click here to find out the driving directions from Houston to San Antonio and the other travel modes available.
Road Trip from Houston to Atlanta
As a tourist, you would want to wholeheartedly enjoy your trip to the cities – Houston and Atlanta. An adventurous road trip can be your best bet. When traveling by road trips, you will have the freedom to halt at various sites while traversing the driving distance from Houston to Atlanta. Some of these sites can include:
- Honey Island Swamp
How long is the drive from Houston to Atlanta via road trips can be known here:
200 Miles/322 Km
Road Trip Time
2 Day of Driving
Given below is a road-trip itinerary covering all the important locations during your Houston to Atlanta drive:
- Begin your journey in Houston.
- After 1.5 hours of driving, you will reach Beaumont. Here, you can take a trip around Southeast Art Museum, Village Creek Park, and Texas Energy Museum.
- You can drive for about 2 hours to reach Lafayette. This is a beautiful city with sites like Hilliard Art Museum, LARC’s Acadian Village, and Zoosiana.
- To get to Honey Island Swamp, drive your car for 3 hours. Located near Pearl River, this is an exotic natural swamp location. You can tour around the island for an hour.
- Drive for about an hour to get to Biloxi. This city offers the best tourism experiences with locations like Davis Bayous Seashore, Harrah’s Gulf Coast, and Biloxi Lighthouse. You may spend the night here.
- The next morning, drive for at least 1.5 hours to arrive in Atmore. This famous city in Alabama is known for sites like Heritage Park, Poarch Creek Museum, and Atmore Historical Society.
- Keep moving for another 2 hours to reach Montgomery. The places that you can visit here include the Museum of Fine Arts and The Legacy Museum.
- Then drive for approximately 1.5 hours to get to Columbus. Here, you can visit The Art Museum, Columbus Zoo, and Center of Science.
- At last, you will reach Atlanta after driving the car for another 1.5 hours.
Driving further from Atlanta will help you reach Nashville which is another major tourist destination. Click here to understand the distance between Atlanta and Nashville.
Flying Non-stop between Houston and Atlanta
If you find comfort in flying, then you can opt to travel by direct flights from Atlanta to Houston, TX. These non-stop flights offer utmost security in terms of luggage and safe flying conditions. Preference can be given to this mode when you have limited travel time or in the case of delayed schedules.
To fly non-stop from Atlanta to Houston, Texas, you can choose either private jets or helicopters. To avail of a more affordable option, you can pick public planes.
How long is the flight from Atlanta to Houston is given below:
702 Miles or 1129 KM
1 Hour and 35 Minutes
Note: You are suggested to check the flight prices and make your decision accordingly.
Scheduled Flights and Airports between Atlanta and Houston
Scheduled flights differ from other travel options in regard to their easy availability and affordability. These cheap flights from Houston to Atlanta may stop at connecting airports. You can choose Economy or Business Class as per the purpose of your travel.
Commercial flight time from Houston, TX to Atlanta, GA is as follows:
1 Hours and 55 Minutes
You can access great Houston to Atlanta flight deals with the following 2 airports:
- IAH or George Bush Intercontinental Airport
- ATL/Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport
The suggested airports can also offer flights to other important cities including Savannah. Click here to know how far Savannah is from Atlanta.
Bus Travel between Atlanta and Houston
Journeys covered on buses can be comfortable for passengers of all age groups. Also, bus tickets from Atlanta to Houston can be obtained very easily within a set budget. Thus, you can prioritize bus travel to explore these cities. The numerous bus stops available between these cities further facilitate the flexibility of buses.
How far is Houston, TX, to Atlanta, GA by buses is given here:
865 Miles or 1393 KM
17 Hours and 40 Minutes
Route: These buses usually take the Dunwoody RD. STE 102 from Atlanta. Main ST. and Webster ST. routes are taken by buses from Houston.
The main bus stops along the distance from Atlanta to Houston can include:
- Greyhound Station
- Senda Station
- El Expreso Station
How to travel from Atlanta to Houston, Texas was thoroughly explained in this post. Road directions were also given along with an itinerary that can be easy to follow. The different air transportation and road travel options were elaborated. Other related information about travel time was also mentioned to aid you in completely creating a plan.