San Antonio is a major city in South-central Texas known for its colonial age heritage. Houston, on the other hand, is a massive metropolis in Texas that extends all the way to Galveston Bay. It is known for its 19th Century architecture, posh restaurants, and the Space Centre Houston. Before visiting Houston from San Antonio, it is imperative to know certain essential information. This information can involve knowing how far is San Antonio from Houston and how you can cover that distance.
To provide this information to you, we have shared the distance from San Antonio, TX, to Houston, TX, in this guide. Via driving and flying non-stop, and other such ways, we have not only covered the distance but time involved as well.
Driving Non-stop from San Antonio to Houston by Road
|Nonstop Drive||197 Miles/317KM|
|Driving Time||3 Hours|
You can drive non-stop from San Antonio to Houston if you want to save some time. For this reason, driving non-stop by car is the preference of many travelers. As you drive without stopping anywhere, you can reach the city in less time even when you are driving your vehicle by yourself.
Estimated Drive Time Between San Antonio to Houston
|Average Speed||Travel Time|
|30 mph (48 km/h)||06 hours 34 minutes|
|40 mph (64 km/h)||04 hours 55 minutes|
|50 mph (80 km/h)||03 hours 56 minutes|
|60 mph (97 km/h)||03 hours 17 minutes|
|70 mph (112 km/h)||02 hours 48 minutes|
|75 mph (120 km/h)||02 hours 37 minutes|
To travel from San Antonio to Houston via road, 3 route options are available for you. These options have been elaborated on as follows:
- Route I-10 E: Going via I-10 E is the fastest route you can opt for your San Antonio to Houston car drive. With usual traffic and no stops, you can cover 197 miles in about 3 hours. Also, I-10 E is a relatively newer route. Before selecting it, thoroughly researching the complete route will be suggested.
- Route US-290 and I-10 E: Travelers who prefer driving cars for long can opt for route US-290 and I-10 E. It is slower than travelling only via I-10 E. This route can increase your travel distance from 197 to 223 miles. Therefore, you may require a period of additional 30 minutes to cover it.
- State Hwy 71 and I-10 E: State Hwy 71 and I-10 E form the longest route of all for reaching Houston from San Antonio. The route has multiple tolls en route. This route extends to 235 miles being covered over a span of 3 hours and 35 minutes. While this is the longest route, it covers the extra 12 miles in nearly the same time as the US-290 route. Also, during the rush hour, the travel time may stretch to 4 hours.
Road Trip from San Antonio to Houston
For those of you who are planning to go from San Antonio to Houston on vacation, a road trip can be an enjoyable option. There are as many as 32 stops from San Antonio, TX, to Houston, TX when a road trip is chosen.
Note: There are 2 cities between San Antonio and Houston that are likely to be crossed as a part of this trip. These cities include New Braunfels and San Marcos. The architecture of New Braunfels is admirable. The city is also known for its 1800s German buildings. San Marcos features Texas State University. Also, here, Dick’s Classic Garage Car Museum exhibits vintage vehicles.
The following are the best stops included in the San Antonio to Houston drive:
|Morgan’s Wonderland||Natural Bridge Caverns||Gruene Historic District.|
|Blue Hole Regional Park||ZDT’s Amusement Park||San Marcos Premium Outlets|
|Lockhart State Park||Circuit of the Americas||Blue Bell Creameries|
The following can be your itinerary for the road trip from San Antonio, TX, to Houston, TX:
- You can begin your journey from San Antonio. A short drive of 20 minutes will lead you to the amusement park, Morgan’s Wonderland.
- From Morgan’s Wonderland, Natural Bridge Caverns is 25 minutes away. It is known for subterranean cavern tours and an elevated adventure course.
- Driving for another 25 minutes will take you to the Gruene Historic District. It is located in New Braunfels.
- Your next stop can be the Blue Hole Regional Park. It is 30 minutes away from Gruene Historic District and features a forested swimming area with rope swings.
- A 45-minute drive will be required. After this, you will be at ZDT’s Amusement Park.
- 25 minutes further down the road lie the San Marcos Premium Outlets. You can go on a mid-way shopping spree here.
- The next stop can be Lockhart State Park. It is 30 minutes away from San Marcos Premium Outlets. This is a good place to go hiking, camping, golfing, and wildlife viewing.
- The next stop is Circuit of the Americas and is 25 minutes away from Lockhart State Park. As the name suggests, it is a race track.
- The journey ends at Blue Bell Creameries. It is 20 minutes away from Circuit of the Americas.
Note: This itinerary given above is suggestive. You can modify the plan for your road trip to Houston as per your choice.
Flying Non-stop from San Antonio to Houston
|Nonstop Flying||192 miles/309 km|
|Flying Time||55 Minutes|
Flying non-stop from San Antonio to Houston can help you reach in only 55 minutes. 192 miles answers how far is Houston from San Antonio by air. This mode of travel can be suitable for those who may be in a hurry and need to reach the destination with minimal exertion. Also, when affordability is not your concern, taking a flight to Houston can be suggested.
Note: You can also opt for other methods of non-stop aerial travel, such as your own jet or even a helicopter.
San Antonio to Houston: Airports and Flights
When you are flying from San Antonio to Houston, it can be helpful to know the best airports. Considering that your departure city is San Antonio, you can book a flight from San Antonio International Airport. Likewise, if your departure city is Houston, then you can book your flight from George Bush Intercontinental Airport.
As you would now know, the aerial travel distance between San Antonio & Houston is 192 miles. With a flight, this distance can be covered in as quickly as 55 minutes. However, when you are preferring multiple flights to reach the city, up to 8 hours may be taken.
4 main airlines can provide flights from San Antonio to Houston:
- United Airlines
- American Airlines
- Delta Airlines
- Southwest Airlines
Tip: Out of these 4 airlines, United and American Airlines provide the highest number of options in terms of flight timings as well as durations.
Planning a visit to Houston from San Antonio city can become easier when you know the distance, time, and the best ways to reach. Here, we discussed every detail needed along with the distance from San Antonio to Houston both by road and air. From road routes to airports and flights, the information added here will hopefully assist you in finalizing your plan.
Also, read with us our post on how far is Dallas from Houston and how you can travel to the city.