Houston is one of the largest metropolises in Texas. Referred to as the “World Capital of Space Exploration”, Houston is closely associated with the Space Centre. It is also famous for its major petroleum exportation industry. Galveston, being an island city, is known for its nature and pleasant climate. It hosts the most beautiful beach towns and is also famous for its extravagant architecture.
Before planning a vacation/business trip to these cities, it will be beneficial to know the accurate distance from Houston, TX to Galveston, TX. You may also choose the travel option most suitable to you after assessing the various routes as well as the time required.
Non-stop Driving Time & Distance from Houston, TX, to Galveston, TX
Given below are the details like distance, time, etc., from Houston, Texas, to Galveston, Texas, by driving your car non-stop:
Nonstop Driving Distance
51 Miles/82 KM
Nonstop Driving Time
When you prefer traveling by car, you may choose to cover the distance from Houston to Galveston by driving your vehicle non-stop. Driving without any stops is a great way to make your journey time-efficient.
Estimated Drive Time Between Houston, TX, to Galveston, TX
|Average Speed||Travel Time|
|30 mph (48 km/h)||01 hours 42 minutes|
|40 mph (64 km/h)||01 hours 16 minutes|
|50 mph (80 km/h)||01 hours 01 minutes|
|60 mph (97 km/h)||00 hours 51 minutes|
|70 mph (112 km/h)||00 hours 43 minutes|
|75 mph (120 km/h)||00 hours 40 minutes|
You may take the following route for your Houston to Galveston drive:
- I-45 S: I-45 S located in Texas, stretches from Dallas to Galveston. This route passes through the major counties of Harris, Walker, Freestone, and Ellis. To travel to Galveston by following this route, follow Allen PKWY and merge with I-45 S. Keep left at the Y-Junction and continue toward Broadway Avenue J. Then, you can turn left onto 27th ST to reach Galveston in Texas.
The traffic report of Houston to Galveston, considering this route, is:
- I-45 S usually characterizes light traffic. It is only on weekdays between 6. a.m. to 9 a.m. that this road is jammed with heavy traffic.
Non-stop Flight Distance from Houston to Galveston
You do not have to worry about how to get from Houston to Galveston without a car when driving is not your proclivity. You may choose the fastest aerial mode of transport which is non-stop flying. It is a great travel choice for both entrepreneurs and vacationers. The main modes of non-stop flying include private jets and helicopters.
47 Miles/75 KM
Note: The best months to fly from Houston, Texas to Galveston, Texas are between May and September. As these months are marked with clear skies and minimal rainfall, they best suit the flying conditions.
How Far is Houston to Galveston by Road Trip?
You can take a road trip from Houston, Texas, to Galveston, Texas. Road trips offer travelers the freedom to drive at their own pace. They are also a flexible mode of transport as you get to stop at various locations during your trip.
The top places to visit in Houston, Galveston are:
- Executive Inn and Suites Houston
- Sun Suites of Hobby Clearlake
- Moody Gardens
Road Trip Time
1 Days by Car Driving
1 Hours, 5 Minutes on Road
The ideal course to follow on your road trip is highlighted in this itinerary:
- Houston is where you will begin to drive your vehicle.
- Initially, drive for nearly 16 minutes to halt at Executive Inn as well as Suites Houston. It is a 4-star hotel offering a wide range of quality services. You can visit Cullen Sculpture Garden and The Sculpture Museum located within proximity of the hotel.
- Then move for roughly 13 minutes to reach Sun Suites of Hobby Clearlake. This suite is popular for its clean environment and customer-friendly services. Important locations in the vicinity of this hotel comprise Almendra Mall, Pasadena Little Theatre, and Air Terminal Museum.
- Next, driving your car for 16 minutes will get you to Webster. Webster is of great historical importance to Texas. Here, you can visit Butler Longhorn Museum, Clear Lake, and Texas Avenue Park.
- Drive for 15 minutes from Webster to reach Dickinson. Dickinson is known for its rapid growth in the industrial sector. It is home to popular sites like Dickinson Railroad Museum, Ray Area Raceway, and Dickinson Bayou.
- From Dickinson, drive for 30 minutes to reach Moody Gardens. This destination is famous for offering entertainment with education. The main tourist spots here are Aquarium Pyramid, Palm Beach, and Rainforest Pyramid.
- At last, drive for just 9 more minutes to be in Galveston, Texas.
Tip: Take a day trip to Galveston from Houston to fully enjoy the mentioned locations.
Important Airports and Flights between Galveston to Houston
You can choose commercially available flights to move from the city of Galveston, Texas, to Houston, Texas as they are comfortable. Such flights also enable systematic traveling between these cities.You can schedule your flights mainly with these 2 airports of Galveston/Houston:
- HOU Airport or William P. Hobby Airport
- IAH Airport or George Bush Intercontinental Airport
The following explains the time usually taken from Galveston to Houston, Texas, by commercial flights:
- Commercial Flight Time: 36 minutes
- Travel Time: 5 hours
Note: The additional 4-hour increase in this traveling time can be because of the driving time from Galveston to Houston Airport.
Bus Transportation from Houston to Galveston
51.5 Miles/83 KM
1 Hours and 30 Minutes
Buses from Houston to Galveston can be preferred in case you are traveling with a group of friends or family. It reduces the travel cost, thus becoming an easily accessible transport choice. There are a lot of bus services that operate between the cities of Houston and Galveston.
Route: Buses from Houston usually take the SF 6021 route to travel to Galveston. They stop at the Amtrak Bus Stop in Galveston.
Given below are some stations near Houston and Galveston:
- Edgebrook DR
- Flagstone Terrace
- Galveston Amtrak
The main transport modes from Houston, TX, to Galveston, TX were described in our post. The best routes for these cities were also thrown light upon. The important places to visit in Houston and Galveston were briefly talked about. Lastly, the major reasons for visiting these cities were also highlighted.