Knoxville, located in eastern Tennessee, is known for its historical background. It is home to popular vintage museums and historical buildings including James Whites Fort, built during the revolutionary war. Nashville is the capital city of Tennessee. It is renowned for its country music theatres and recreational attractions. Nashville is referred to as the “Athens of the South”. Nashville and Knoxville are delightful cities for tourists to explore.
The best way to plan a great trip to these cities is by understanding how far is Knoxville, TN, to Nashville, TN. The knowledge about the various available travel options between Knoxville and Nashville is also important. To gain this knowledge and details including the travel time, please see this guide.
Non-stop Driving Time & Distance from Knoxville and Nashville
Nonstop Driving Distance
180 Miles/290 KM
Nonstop Driving Time
2 Hours and 42 Minutes
A non-stop drive to cover the distance from Knoxville to Nashville is a plausible transport choice for quick travel. This option is best suited for professionals who wish to attend official events. In addition, those of you who love driving cars can also prefer it.
Estimated Drive Time Between Knoxville and Nashville
|Average Speed||Travel Time|
|30 mph (48 km/h)||06 hours 00 minutes|
|40 mph (64 km/h)||04 hours 30 minutes|
|50 mph (80 km/h)||03 hours 36 minutes|
|60 mph (97 km/h)||03 hours 00 minutes|
|70 mph (112 km/h)||02 hours 34 minutes|
|75 mph (120 km/h)||02 hours 24 minutes|
To travel from Knoxville, TN, to Nashville, TN, you may follow the given route:
- I-40 W: The I-40 W route lies in the south-central U.S. Its East end is in Wilmington while its West end is in Barstow. While driving from Knoxville to Nashville by I-40 W, you can follow the Y-Junction. Then take the exit toward Charlotte Ave. After this, merge with George L Davis Blvd. You can turn right onto Church ST to reach Nashville in Tennessee.
- Traffic Conditions: The I-40 W road is packed with heavy traffic from 6.00 p.m onward. You can travel in the morning hours to avoid traffic.
How Far is Nashville to Knoxville by Flying Non-stop?
161 Miles/259 KM
Non-stop flying offers various benefits to travelers like comfort and reliability. This mode of transportation from Nashville to Knoxville also makes commutation hurdle-free. It does not subject the traveler to stress, thus, being a tire-free mode of travel.
You may choose to fly non-stop by:
- Private jets
Note: Before flying from Nashville to Knoxville, TN, careful consideration of the weather conditions is necessary. Both these cities experience heavy rain from March to August. Therefore, avoid flying in the wet seasons to ensure a safe travel journey.
How Far is Knoxville to Nashville by Road Trip?
Knoxville, Tennessee to Nashville, Tennessee can be traveled by a thrilling road trip. Road trips help in covering the long distance while simultaneously making the journey entertaining. You can enjoy various locations between Knoxville and Nashville, some of which include:
- Gaylord Opryland Resort
Road Trip Time
1 Days of Driving
4 Hours on Road
You may take reference from the below-mentioned itinerary to plan your road trip:
- Starting the drive in Knoxville will be suggested.
- Drive for about 38 minutes to reach Loudon, your first stop. Loudon in East Tennessee is famous for its impeccable architecture and unique heritage. Here, you can visit Stimpson Seashell Museum, Tellico Reservoir, and Sweetwater Valley.
- Then drive for about an hour to Crossville. It is known as the Golf Capital of Tennessee. Some important tourist locations here include Obed River, Byrd Lake, Grassy Cove, and Cumberland Mountain State Park.
- Next, a drive of 40 minutes will get you to Cookeville. Cookeville is the largest city in Putnam County in Tennessee. The major tourist spots of Cookeville are Cummins Falls, DelMonaco Winery, Depot Museum, and Cane Creek Park.
- From Cookeville, drive for about 35 minutes to reach Gordonsville. Gordonsville offers rich hospitality to tourists with sights such as Horton Vineyards, Berrywood, and Oakland Heights Farm.
- Then keep driving for about an hour to reach Gaylord Opryland Resort. This grand resort hosts beautiful gardens and modern malls. It is best decorated during Christmas.
- Finally, drive for about 14 minutes and you will be in Nashville, Tennessee.
Note: How far is Nashville from Knoxville by a road trip has been estimated here On the basis of the above itinerary. Customizations in the itinerary may slightly alter the travel time.
Major Airports and Flights between Nashville and Knoxville
Cheap flights from Nashville to Knoxville can be taken for covering the distance. Also, commercial and reasonably-priced flights can be a leisure travel choice for vacationers. Entrepreneurs too can opt for scheduled flights as they are easily accessible.
These are the 2 main airports of Nashville and Knoxville:
- BNA Airport or Nashville International Airport
- TYS Airport or McGhee Tyson Airport
These details focus on Nashville to Knoxville flight time and distance:
- Commercial Flight Time: 49 minutes
- Travel Time: 4 hours
Note: Here, how far is Knoxville to Nashville by flights is calculated with the inclusion of the time taken to drive to the airports.
Nashville, TN to Knoxville, TN by bus
186 Miles/300 KM
3 Hours and 20 Minutes
You can take a bus from Nashville to Knoxville or vice versa. Buses, being a public mode of transportation, offer dual benefits of environmental safety and easy travel. Additionally, bus trips are a relaxing way to cover the distance.
Route: Buses usually take the route from 709 5th Ave S. in Nashville to 100 E Magnolia Ave in Knoxville.
Buses from Nashville to Knoxville usually stop at the following locations:
- Murfreesboro Pike
- Municipal Auditorium
Note: You can either take a direct bus or a bus trip between Nashville and Tennessee.
In this guide, we explained how to get from Knoxville to Nashville by different modes of travel. All the information about the distance between Nashville and Knoxville was showcased. The routes with good road conditions were mentioned for the readers. An itinerary was also given to make trip-planning simpler for you.
You may want to check one of our guides explaining how far San Francisco is from Los Angeles. If so, then click here. You can also learn how far is San Diego from Los Angeles on our page. These guides will assist you in making good plans.