Milwaukee is a beautiful city in the state of Wisconsin in the United States. The place is known for breweries. The city is enriched with many historical and cultural attractions too. To the west of Milwaukee is the city of Madison that stands as Wisconsin’s capital. Making a trip plan from Milwaukee to Madison can be suggested when you wish to experience an unusual journey. Having adequate knowledge of these cities can be helpful. In addition to this, you may also require the quickest, convenient, or affordable travel options. Between these cities in Wisconsin, non-stop driving and flying can be preferred. As a part of these modes, you can explore several options that help you reach Madison or Milwaukee.
Drive from Milwaukee to Madison Non-stop
79 Miles/127 Km
1 Hour 20 Minutes
When driving means a pleasurable thing to you, the distance between Milwaukee and Madison can be covered non-stop. This is one travel option that can suit most travelers. Whether you are a professional heading to a client meeting or are traveling with a group, non-stop driving your car can help quickly reach Milwaukee or Madison.
Estimated Drive Time Between Milwaukee to Madison
|Average Speed||Travel Time|
|30 mph (48 km/h)||02 hours 38 minutes|
|40 mph (64 km/h)||01 hours 58 minutes|
|50 mph (80 km/h)||01 hours 34 minutes|
|60 mph (97 km/h)||01 hours 19 minutes|
|70 mph (112 km/h)||01 hours 07 minutes|
|75 mph (120 km/h)||01 hours 03 minutes|
To have a safe trip, you may follow this direct route:
- Interstate-94 W: The route of I-94 W from Milwaukee to reach Madison can be covered in a short time. Beginning from Milwaukee, the I-94 W path heads towards Downtown St. Paul. The route has also been termed a freeway. Leaving the urban areas via Oakdale and Maplewood, you will find the St. Croix River, taking you to Wisconsin. Moving towards the south direction, I-94 will cross with I-90 at Tomah and I-39 at Portage. Together, these three routes will cover 29 miles in just one hour. Finally, you will enter Madison city.
Covering Madison to Milwaukee Distance via Road Trips
When you have a group with you or your family seeks a vacation, a road trip to Madison from Milwaukee may be suggested. Enjoying the journey at numerous stops, you can come across Olbrich Botanical Garden, Chazen Museum of Art, Memorial Union Terrace, and other such places.
You may follow the itinerary below when traveling from Milwaukee to reach Madison or vice versa:
- From the city of Milwaukee, begin driving your car.
- Drive for about 25 minutes to reach the place called Waukesha, the city famous for its healing waters. People from all over the world come here to relax and enjoy the peaceful atmosphere.
- From here, further going for about 24 minutes will be required. Then you will come to a stop in Johnson Creek, a small village in Jefferson county. On this farm, you can witness the views of Aztalan State Park and the Aztalan Museum.
- Moving further for about 17-16 minutes will take you to Lake Mills. Now, you can stop by and enjoy nature’s beauty all around. Some of the best things to do here are visiting Lewis Station Winery and Sandy Beach. They experience constant changes in landforms.
- Furthermore, traveling for about 33 minutes, you will be at Crown Plaza Hotel Madison. This place can be great to have a comfortable stay.
- Now, you will finally be in the city of Madison.
How Far is Madison, Wisconsin, from Milwaukee by Non-stop Flying?
Flying to cover the distance between the cities in Wisconsin – Madison and Milwaukee – can give you a satisfying experience. You can travel far in a limited time. This medium is best suited for professionals looking forward to big meetings or seminars in either of the cities. Booking a public flight is one way to get to Madison from Milwaukee or vice versa. You can also board a helicopter or fly via your own private jet.
Total flight distance and time from Milwaukee to Madison are:
76 Miles/122 Km
Madison to Milwaukee Airports for Catching Flights
The distance from Milwaukee to Madison can be covered by a flight. Public/commercial flights can be taken from the airports nearby these cities. Milwaukee Mitchell International Airport is the largest airport in Milwaukee. Also, Dane County Regional Airport in Madison is located 6 miles northeast of downtown Madison and can also be considered for this purpose.
Total time and distance from Milwaukee, WI, to Madison, WI can be:
76 Miles/122 Km
Airlines that fly from these airports are:
- Delta Airlines
- United Airlines
- Frontier Airlines
- American Airlines
- Southwest Airlines
Bus travel from Milwaukee to Madison
Being a public transport system, buses can give you a cheap way to travel from Milwaukee to Madison. It can be preferred mainly by explorers who wish to capture the beauty of places between the stops and make the trip memorable. Stops such as houses on Church Street showcase a range of architectural styles that can be captured.
Bus travel from Milwaukee, Wisconsin to Madison, Wisconsin is mentioned below:
76 Miles/122 Km
1 Hour and 20 Minutes
Other stops between Milwaukee and Madison while taking a bus can be:
- Henry Vilas Zoo
- Madison Museum of Contemporary Art
- Madison Children’s Museum
- University of Wisconsin-Madison
Here, we discussed how far is Milwaukee to Madison when different travel options are taken. The cities are not very far from each other, as you may know by now. You can take any mode and reach Milwaukee or Madison in a few hours or less. However, based on your budget and preferences, spending time to pick the best one of these modes will be recommended.
Do you know how far is Orlando from Miami? To find out, you may explore our post.