Montreal in Canada is a city rich with historic monuments and architecture. Montreal hosts numerous international festivals every year and welcomes millions of tourists. It also has the top educational institutes including 4 world-class universities. Quebec City, located along Saint Lawrence River, is known for its stone sculptures. It presents a unique French-Canadian culture depicting the best of the two worlds. The rare geographical features of Quebec are also an asset of this city.
When you think of taking a trip from Montreal to Quebec City, you may encounter many questions about the time and distance between them. Choosing the perfect travel mode might also become slightly confusing if you are not aware of the different options. Hence, we have prepared this guide to answer all your questions in detail and simplify the planning of your trip.
Driving Non-stop from Montreal to Quebec City
156 Miles/251 Km
2 Hours 40 Minutes
You can easily travel from Montreal to Quebec City by a non-stop drive. Since a limited amount of stops are made throughout the journey, the travel time can be reduced to a great extent. This mode also saves you from the hassle of booking last-minute tickets.
Estimated Drive Time Between Montreal to Quebec City
|Average Speed||Travel Time|
|30 mph (48 km/h)||05 hours 12 minutes|
|40 mph (64 km/h)||03 hours 54 minutes|
|50 mph (80 km/h)||03 hours 07 minutes|
|60 mph (97 km/h)||02 hours 36 minutes|
|70 mph (112 km/h)||02 hours 13 minutes|
|75 mph (120 km/h)||02 hours 04 minutes|
You can cover the distance between Montreal and Quebec City safely in your car via the following route:
- Autoroute 20 E: Autoroute 20 E is the longest autoroute in Canada connecting Montreal and Quebec City. It also passes through other cities like Brossard, Rimouski, and Beloeil. To reach Quebec City via this route, merge with Transcanadienne 25 S road. Then you can take Exit 312N towards Pont P. Laporte. From here, follow the Y-Junction and continue with 440 E. You can then take a left onto Boulevard Charest E. and proceed onto QC-136 O. Turn left toward Rue St. Thomas to arrive in Quebec City, Canada.
Note: You can either self-drive your vehicle or opt for car rentals from Montreal to Quebec City. Car rentals usually help in reducing the burden of driving.
Road Trip from Montreal to Quebec City
If you are someone who enjoys car rides, then the best way to get to Quebec City from Montreal is by road trip. When traveling via road trips, you will be able to enjoy wonderful sights between these popular cities. Thus, such trips can be the most entertaining mode of transport.
The travel time from Montreal to Quebec City involved in a road trip is given below:
Road Trip Time
During your road trip drive from Montreal to Quebec, you can stop at the following locations:
- Saint Hyacinthe
- Fairmont Le Chateau Frontenac
A reference itinerary has been provided below explaining the course of your road trip from Montreal to Quebec City:
- You can start your drive in Montreal.
- Driving initially for 50 minutes will get you to Saint Hyacinthe. Located in southwestern Quebec, Saint Hyacinthe is famous for its religious and sacred institutions. The main attractions here include Parc Les Salines, Monteregian Hills, and Riviere Noire.
- Next, resume moving for about 40 minutes to reach Drummondville. Known as the “Capital of Traditions”, Drummondville is home to many cultural attractions and embraces rich heritage. Here, you can visit Parc Woodyatt, Domaine Trent, and Parc des Voltigeurs.
- A significant drive of 45 minutes will get you to Victoriaville. This small town in Quebec is famous for its outdoor activities like inline skating and golfing. The tourist sites here are Musee Laurier, Mont Arthabaska and Beaudet Dam Park.
- From here, drive for an hour to arrive in Saint-Antoine-de-Tilly. This municipality is famous for its preservation of nature and animals. Here, you can visit Le Vergers de Tilly, Circuit Patrimonial, and Parc Municipality.
- A drive of 30 minutes will help you reach Fairmont Le Chateau Frontenac. This is a luxury hotel known for offering 5-star services. You can rest here for a while and visit nearby places.
- Finally, move your car for 5 minutes to get to Quebec City, Quebec.
Non-Stop Flying from Montreal to Quebec City
This aerial mode of transportation from Montreal to Quebec City is the fastest available travel option. Flying non-stop reduces both the distance and travel time between these cities. Moreover, non-stop flights are a safe mode of travel, especially during the current pandemic conditions.
Tip: The major non-stop flying options include private jets and helicopters. You can select the option suitable to you based on your financial freedom.
The distance between Quebec City and Montreal via non-stop flying is as follows:
144 Miles/231 Km
Note: While flying non-stop from Montreal to Quebec, be mindful of your luggage and personal belongings. Also, attention must be paid to the changing weather conditions before deciding to fly non-stop between these cities.
Major Airports and Flights between Quebec City and Montreal
You can fly from Quebec City to Montreal with a commercial flight. This method of traversing the distance between Quebec City and Montreal will assist in quick and problem-free travel. Last-minute commercial flight tickets may also be offered for your convenience. Thus, apart from a trip, when the reason to visit involves something urgent, this option will be suitable.
Miles from Quebec City to Montreal can be covered in the following time by commercial flights:
You may schedule your tickets from Quebec to Montreal with the 2 major airports of these cities:
- YUL Airport or Montreal-Pierre Elliott Trudeau International Airport
- YQB Airport or Quebec City Jean Lesage International Airport
Note: An increase in the travel time may be due to the layover time and security check time.
Buses between Quebec City and Montreal
Recently, there has been an instrumental increase in the demand for buses between Montreal and Quebec City. This is because buses can be the cheapest way to cover the distance between Quebec City and Montreal. They are particularly suitable for senior citizens who are unable to commute on their own.
Bus travel from Montreal to Quebec can take the following time considering the distance:
145 Miles/233 Km
3 Hour and 15 Minutes
Route: Buses traveling to and for between Montreal and Quebec City pass through the Centre-Ville route.
Buses traveling from Montreal to Quebec City stop at:
Note: Both direct and trip buses are available between these cities. Trip buses stop at the major tourist attractions while direct buses travel non-stop.
The distance from Montreal to Quebec City by different travel modes was clearly explained here. The important routes and main airports were also brought to light. The description of an ideal itinerary was additionally mentioned for the readers. You can make traveling easy and efficient for you with this information.
You can find out how far Tulsa is from Oklahoma on our page. How far is Richmond from Virginia Beach has also been explained by us. Click here to visit the page.