The cities of Orlando and Fort Lauderdale in Florida welcome thousands of visitors every year from all over the world. While Orlando is famous for being a major tourist attraction, Fort Lauderdale is a popular business hub. Places like Epcot and Walt Disney in Orlando captivate many visitors. Fort Lauderdale is one of the most intriguing cities with sites like the NSU Museum and Birch Park.
To explore what is there in these museums and check the amusement places, you can travel from Orlando to Fort Lauderdale by road and air. Commercial flights and road trips are the likely modes of travel between these Florida cities.
Let us see the miles/distance you will have to cover in a timeframe through every mode.
Driving Non-stop from Orlando to Fort Lauderdale
212 Miles/341 Km
3 Hours 7 Minutes
A quick Orlando to Fort Lauderdale drive with barely any stops can be preferred by those with limited travel time due to emergencies. Driving non-stop is also useful for visitors taking a one-day trip to these cities located in Florida.
Estimated Drive Time Between Orlando to Fort Lauderdale, Florida
|Average Speed||Travel Time|
|30 mph (48 km/h)||07 hours 04 minutes|
|40 mph (64 km/h)||05 hours 18 minutes|
|50 mph (80 km/h)||04 hours 14 minutes|
|60 mph (97 km/h)||03 hours 32 minutes|
|70 mph (112 km/h)||03 hours 01 minutes|
|75 mph (120 km/h)||02 hours 49 minutes|
These are the driving directions from Orlando to Fort Lauderdale via the fastest route:
- Florida’s Turnpike: Florida’s Turnpike is one of the safest toll roads. This road is well-maintained and also passes through many beautiful attractions. To reach Fort Lauderdale, keep left on Florida’s Turnpike, and then take the exit at FL-706. You then have to merge with I-95 S from where you can exit at BLVD Downtown. From here, turn left onto FL-842 E to arrive in Fort Lauderdale, Florida.
Note: Taxis/car rentals from Orlando to Fort Lauderdale can be preferred to relieve the stress of driving when you are not stopping anywhere.
Road Trip from Orlando to Fort Lauderdale
To not miss the numerous wonderful sights, you can drive the distance from Orlando to Fort Lauderdale. You can take a leisure road trip between these cities. Road trips are an exceptional transport mode when traveling with friends. They allow you to enjoy a one-of-a-kind journey with lasting memories.
What is the distance from Orlando to Fort Lauderdale via a road trip is shown here:
218 miles or 350 km
Road Trip Time
The following places can be visited during the road trip from Orlando, Florida, to Fort Lauderdale, Florida:
- Vero Beach
- Port St. Lucie
- Delray Beach
The given itinerary describes the time taken to visit these places during your road trip from Orlando to Fort Lauderdale:
- Commence your road trip journey in Orlando.
- Drive initially for 1.5 hours to reach Vero Beach. Vero Beach is home to many charming white-sand beaches and tropical fauna. Here, you can visit McKee Botanical Gardens, Jaycee Park, and South Beach Park.
- Then a drive of about 40 minutes will get you to Port St. Lucie. The rare orchids and wide bamboo fields are what make this city famous. The tourist attractions here include Elliott Museum, Nettles Island, and Lucie Botanical Gardens.
- You will then have to drive for 40 minutes to reach Jupiter. Jupiter is known for its preservation of history and traditional museums. The main sites to visit here are Inlet Lighthouse Museum, DuBois Park, and Dickinson State Park.
- To reach Delray Beach, drive for about 41 minutes. This city is known as the “most fun small town in the USA”. Thus, it offers many exciting attractions like Cornell Art Museum, Arts Garage, and Spady Museum.
- A final drive of about 30 minutes will get you to Fort Lauderdale, Florida.
Tip: To avoid getting jammed during your road trip between these cities, we suggest you start your trip in the morning.
Flying Non-Stop from Orlando to Fort Lauderdale
Flights from Orlando to Fort Lauderdale, Florida, provide non-stop flying services to cater to the needs of travelers seeking fast transportation. Comfort and security are both ensured by these flights.
There are a variety of non-stop flying options like private jets, helicopters, and public planes. Helicopters and public planes are more suitable for those with budget restrictions.
Orlando to Fort Lauderdale flight time via non-stop flying is as follows:
183 Miles/294 Km
Tip: Before flying from Orlando, Florida, to Fort Lauderdale, Florida, a good analysis of the flying conditions is essential. Flying between these cities is suitable between the months of May and September as it is a dry season with clear skies.
Main Airports and Flights between Orlando and Fort Lauderdale
One of the most inexpensive transportation options from Orlando to Fort Lauderdale is a commercial flight. It can complete the needs of the general public with limited financial freedom.
The time taken for commercial flights to cover the distance from Fort Lauderdale to Orlando is as follows:
You can book your flights with:
- MCO or Orlando International Airport
- FLL or Fort Lauderdale Hollywood International Airport
Note: The time spent traveling to the airports also constitutes the total travel time. To reduce this time, you can avail yourself of shuttle services from Fort Lauderdale Airport to Orlando.
Bus Transportation between Orlando and Fort Lauderdale
To enjoy a hassle-free journey, you can take a bus from Fort Lauderdale to Orlando. Most public buses are available at feasible prices and provide good services. Mega buses, Metrobuses, and direct buses operate between the said cities.
Route: Buses from Orlando usually take McCoy Road. The other popular bus route between these cities is the S. Kirkman Rd. or McLeod Rd.
Major bus stations between Fort Lauderdale and Orlando are:
- Tri-Rail Station
- Port Everglades Terminal
These details hint at how far is it from Orlando to Fort Lauderdale by bus:
184 Miles/296 Km
3 Hour and 35 Minutes
Note: Both direct and trip buses are available between these cities. Trip buses stop at the major tourist attractions while direct buses travel non-stop.
In a Nutshell
You will be able to plan a great trip from Orlando to Fort Lauderdale by assessing the travel details given in this guide. The distance and time taken by different travel modes were elaborated here. Information about the road directions, time-efficient itinerary, and major airports was given to perfect your plan.