The largest city of Oregon is Portland. It is popular for its vintage coffeehouses and microbreweries. Seattle is a city marked with evergreen forests and encompassed with various kinds of species of trees and animals. Both of these cities, being breathtakingly beautiful, are spots for thousands of tourists. In this guide, we have put together a travel plan explaining how far is Portland from Seattle and how to cover the distance. Mainly, for covering the distance, we will be looking at non-stop driving, flying, and such ways. In addition, we will look at the best airports and flights that you can prefer.
Non-stop Driving Time & Distance from Portland to Seattle
|Nonstop Driving Distance|
173 Miles/278 KM
|Nonstop Driving Time|
2 Hours 48 Minutes
You can travel from Portland to Seattle by car without making any stops during your journey. Many of the travelers continuously drive from Portland, Oregon to Seattle, Washington, to limit their travel time.
Estimated Driving Time Between Portland to Seattle
|Average Speed||Travel Time|
|30 mph (48 km/h)||5 hours 46 minutes|
|40 mph (64 km/h)||4 hours 19 minutes|
|50 mph (80 km/h)||3 hours 27 minutes|
|60 mph (97 km/h)||2 hours 53 minutes|
|70 mph (112 km/h)||2 hours 28 minutes|
|75 mph (120 km/h)||8 hours 19 minutes|
To travel from Portland to Seattle, you can take the following route:
- Columbia River Highway: Columbia River Highway is scenic and lies between the cities of Portland and Seattle. It is a short highway of just 74 miles or 119 km.
- Here are the Portland to Seattle directions via the Columbia River Highway.
- To reach Seattle, turn right onto SW Ave. Follow NW Front Ave and take the exit at Longview. Then turn right onto Industrial Way and continue toward the Westside Hwy. Then you will have to merge with Jackson Hwy and continue onto Center St E. Drive toward WA-181 N and then onto Seattle Blvd S. Turn right onto Spring St and cross onto Madison St to reach Seattle, Washington.
Note: You can also cover the distance from Portland to Seattle via the I-5 N route which is a North-South Interstate Highway.
Flying Non-Stop from Portland to Seattle
|Nonstop Distance in Air|
145 Miles/233 KM
|Nonstop Time in Air|
You can make the travel process of getting from Portland to Seattle tremendously easy by flying non-stop. You can fly non-stop from Portland to Seattle in private jets or helicopters as per your choice.
Tip: You will not have to spend any extra time boarding connecting flights. You will only have to make sure that the weather conditions are suitable for flying. We suggest you avoid flying when the skies are cloudy.
Road Trip from Portland to Seattle
|Road Trip Time|
1 Days of Driving
3.5 Hours on Road
As there are a lot of amazing sights between Seattle and Portland, a road trip can be a great travel option. You can enjoy your Seattle to Portland drive by visiting these locations.
While traveling between Portland and Seattle, you can stop at the following places:
- Mount Rainier
- Alki Beach Park
This travel time is estimated based on the below-mentioned itinerary:
- In Portland, the journey can be started.
- Drive for about an hour to reach Rainier, your first location. Rainier is a popular city in the state of Oregon known for its scenic views and historical museums.
- Then, another one-hour drive will get you to Centralia. Centralia is the midpoint between Seattle and Portland. Here, you can take a trip around Fort Borst Park, Fox Theatre, Timberland Regional Library, and the murals in downtown Centralia.
- After leaving Centralia, drive for 42 minutes to arrive at Mount Rainier. Mount Rainier is an active stratovolcano near southeast Seattle. You are bound to be awestruck by the jaw-dropping view of this volcano.
- From Mount Rainier, drive for 54 minutes to get to Alki Beach Park. This is a well-maintained famous beach in Washington. It is renowned for its replica of the Statue of Liberty.
- Lastly, after spending up to an hour in Alki Beach Park, drive for 9 minutes to arrive in Seattle, Washington.
Note: You can make required changes in the itinerary according to the traffic conditions. These changes may slightly change your travel time from Portland to Seattle, Washington.
Airports and Flights from Portland to Seattle
Keeping in view the financial constraints of many civilians, commercial flights are suggested as a viable mode of transportation from Portland to Seattle. Moreover, scheduled commercial flights are also customer-friendly and provide good services to commuters. You can make your flight bookings with the two international airports of Portland and Seattle:
- Portland International Airport or PDX
- Seattle-Tacoma International Airport or SEA
The travel time and flight distance are as follows:
- Commercial Flight Time: 57 minutes
- Total Travel Time: 4 hours
Note: The total travel time is 3 hours more than the actual flight time. The reason for this is that when traveling to Portland or to Seattle, Washington, you will be spending extra time getting to the airport. Upon reaching the airport, you will also spend about 2 hours at the security checks.
In this guide, we discussed the transport options between Seattle and Portland. We provided an itinerary to guide you in the planning of a road trip. The main airports of Seattle and Portland were also mentioned. With this, we hope that this guide has provided you a definite answer to how far is Portland from Seattle.