One of the most popular cities of Georgia is the beautiful city of Savannah. Savannah is infamous for its conventional architecture and its quaint cobblestoned squares. Atlanta is the capital city of Georgia. It is renowned for its historic sites dedicated to famous African-American leaders. These two popular cities are frequently visited by both entrepreneurs and tourists. They are home to about 14.8 million visitors in a year.
For traveling between Savannah and Atlanta, you have to follow a good travel plan. We have thoughtfully prepared a travel plan for you including details like how far is Savannah from Atlanta and the required travel time. Additionally, we have included the four major travel choices available to you.
Non-stop Driving Time & Distance from Atlanta to Savannah
|Nonstop Driving Distance|
249 Miles/401 KM
|Nonstop Driving Time|
3 Hours 33 Minutes
Non-stop driving from Atlanta, GA, to Savannah GA, helps in easily covering the distance between these two cities. A car drive with no stops can be preferred in case of urgent business trips or emergencies. There are numerous routes with fine traffic conditions between Savannah and Atlanta.
Estimated Driving Time Between Atlanta to Savannah
|Average Speed||Travel Time|
|30 mph (48 km/h)||8 hours 18 minutes|
|40 mph (64 km/h)||6 hours 13 minutes|
|50 mph (80 km/h)||4 hours 58 minutes|
|60 mph (97 km/h)||4 hours 9 minutes|
|70 mph (112 km/h)||3 hours 33 minutes|
|75 mph (120 km/h)||3 hours 19 minutes|
You will have to travel through the following routes to reach Savannah from Atlanta:
- I-75 S: I-75 S stretches from southern Florida to Michigan passing through six states. Its North end is at the Sainte Marie Border Crossing while its South end is in Miami Lakes. It is one of the longest highways covering a total length of 1,786 miles or 2,875 km.
- I-16 E: I-16 E is an East-West Interstate Highway in Georgia. It is also called Jim GIlls Historic Savannah Parkway. This highway starts in Downtown Macon and passes through Dublin, Pooler, and Metter. It ends in Downtown Savannah. Its West end is in Macon and its East end is in Montgomery Street. It runs through a length of 116 miles or 268 km.
Note: These routes are equipped with roadside amenities. They are perfect to cover the distance from Atlanta to Savannah.
Flying Non-stop from Atlanta to Savannah
|Nonstop Distance in Air|
223 Miles/359 KM
|Nonstop Time in Air|
Flying non-stop has gained a lot of popularity as an easy means of transport. It can also help the commuter to swiftly cover the miles from Atlanta to Savannah without any hurdles. The three major flying options available to you via this method are private jets, helicopters, and public planes.
Tip: While covering the distance from Atlanta to Savannah via non-stop flying, weather conditions must be analyzed. Avoid traveling in the short winter months to ensure safe travel.
Road Trip from Atlanta to Savannah
|Road Trip Time|
2 Days of Driving
5.5 Hours, 1 Overnight
You can also drive from Atlanta to Savannah, GA, whilst making stops during the journey. You can make these stops to either take a quick break or visit the tourist attractions along the way. Also, you can plan a road trip between Atlanta and Savannah if you are visiting these cities with your friends and family.
You can stop by the following locations:
- The Appalachian Trail
An ideal itinerary including all these stops has been described below:
- The road trip can be started in Atlanta.
- Drive for about 49 minutes to reach Jackson. Here, you can take a trip down the memory lane by visiting historic homes and exploring the diverse culture of Jackson. You can spend an hour here.
- Then, after driving for about another 49 minutes, you will reach Macon. The city of Macon is famous for its museums depicting African-American art. One of the most popular museums is The Allman Brothers Band Museum.
- From Macon, drive for 50 minutes to reach the beautiful Appalachian Trail. You can take a hike on this trail that is about 2,200 miles. Stay overnight here and continue your trip the next day.
- The next morning, drive for an hour to get to Swainsboro. Here you can visit Palm Beach Island, Smith Game Bird Farm, and Scare House of the South for some adventurous fun.
- Later, drive for 43 minutes to reach Statesboro. In Statesboro, you can visit 67 Antique Mall and Georgia Southern Museum. Spend up to an hour here.
- A drive of 55 minutes will help you get to Pooler. You can spend an hour here visiting Tom Triplett Park, Crosswinds Golf Club, and Ogeechee Road.
- At last, drive for 18 minutes to reach Savannah, Georgia.
Note: The travel time can be reduced while covering the distance to Savannah by decreasing the number of stops during the road trip.
Airports and Flights from Atlanta to Savannah
Usually, commercial flights are a more realistic option of travel between Atlanta and Savannah. The comfort that they offer is also one of the main reasons for their growing demand. You can get your tickets with the Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport (ATL) or Savannah/Hilton Head International Airport (SAV). There are several scheduled flights from Atlanta to Savannah, GA.
The total distance and time will be:
- Commercial Flight Time: 1 hour and 6 minutes
- Total Travel Time: 4 hours
In this guide, we covered how far is Savannah from Atlanta. The time taken by the four major travel options was mentioned for the readers. The different routes to be taken were also briefly discussed. Proper planning of the trip between Savannah and Atlanta will now seem easier.