Tucson, in Arizona, is famous for its diverse multicultural heritage and art galleries. It is home to several mountain ranges and vast deserts. Phoenix is the capital city of Arizona, known for its modern urban facilities that include sophisticated golf courses and nightclubs. Both these cities of Arizona are extensively visited by tourists and entrepreneurs.
To plan a good trip to these cities, understanding how far is Tucson from Phoenix can be essential. Based on how far they are, you can choose to cover this distance by different means.
Non-stop Driving Time & Distance from Phoenix to Tucson
|Nonstop Driving Distance|
116 Miles/187 KM
|Nonstop Driving Time|
1 Hours 52 Minutes
You can take a quick ride from Phoenix to Tucson by driving non-stop via car. Non-stop car drives are helpful to professionals traveling for work-related trips. However, you can also opt for this mode of transport when visiting Tucson for a quick vacation.
Estimated Driving Time Between Tucson to Phoenix
|Average Speed||Travel Time|
|30 mph (48 km/h)||3 hours 52 minutes|
|40 mph (64 km/h)||2 hours 54 minutes|
|50 mph (80 km/h)||2 hours 19 minutes|
|60 mph (97 km/h)||1 hours 56 minutes|
|70 mph (112 km/h)||1 hours 39 minutes|
|75 mph (120 km/h)||1 hours 32 minutes|
You can cover the distance from Phoenix to Tucson through the following route:
- I-10 E: I-10 E, in the U.S., is the fourth largest southern Interstate Highway. It stretches from Santa Monica to Jacksonville. To travel from Phoenix to Tucson via this route, follow the Y-junction after crossing Washington St. Then take the exit toward Congress St. Merge with N Freeway and turn left onto W Pennington St to reach Tucson, Arizona.
Note: I-10 E has a roadway with good conditions. Hence, it is the best route to drive from Phoenix to Tucson.
Flying Non-Stop from Phoenix to Tucson
|Nonstop Distance in Air|
108 Miles/173 KM
|Nonstop Time in Air|
As a traveler, you would want to choose the quickest travel option between any two locations. In this case, flying non-stop from Phoenix, AZ to Tucson, AZ can be a preferable option. The major advantage of non-stop flying is the fact that you will only have to spend a few minutes on your journey.
You have three options to fly non-stop between Phoenix and Tucson. These are:
- Private Jets
- Public Planes
All of these options favor short-distance flying with no stops.
Note: While traveling the distance between Tucson and Phoenix by flying, it is important to note the changes in the weather conditions. Although Arizona is mostly hot and clear-skied, winters may get chilly. Hence, avoid flying during these cold winters.
Road Trip from Phoenix to Tucson
|Road Trip Time|
1 Days of Driving
3 Hours on Road
A simple yet enjoyable way to cover the miles from Phoenix to Tucson is by road trip. You can enjoy the drive between these two cities by visiting several sights along the way. Following are the best locations where travelers can stop:
- Saguaro National Park
- SkyVenture Arizona
The following itinerary will provide you a complete insight on how to plan your road trip:
- You may start the drive in Phoenix.
- Then, drive for about 31 minutes to reach Chandler. Chandler is known for its stunning landscapes and vintage architecture. In Chandler, you can visit Desert Breeze Park, Veterans Oasis Park, and Arizona Railway Museum.
- From Chandler, drive for 55 minutes to reach your next stop, SkyVenture Arizona. SkyVenture Arizona is a skydiving center in Eloy. Here, you can enjoy one of the wildest free fall experiences from about 150 miles. It is the most popular skydiving center in the state of Arizona.
- Next, drive for one hour from SkyVenture Arizona to arrive in Saguaro National Park. This is the national park that is home to the largest Cacti of the United States. It is also popular for its preservation of rare plants and stunning animals. You can also hike and camp in Saguaro National Park.
- After leaving Saguaro National Park, drive for about 25 minutes to reach your final destination, Tucson in Arizona.
The itinerary has been mentioned to guide you towards planning your ideal road trip. You can also stop at other spots during your Phoenix to Tucson drive. The traffic conditions may also influence your travel time, hence, try not to travel between 4.00 p.m. to 7.00 p.m. to avoid heavy traffic.
Main Airports and Flights between Phoenix and Tucson
Commercial flights are a good travel method to commute between Phoenix and Tucson. They are also flexible, adding to the benefit of relatively shorter travel time. The flights from Phoenix to Tucson, Arizona operate regularly at reasonable prices.
The main airports offering scheduled flight services between Phoenix and Tucson are:
- PHX or Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport
- TUS or Tucson International Airport
Some airlines that fly between Phoenix and Tucson include:
- American Airlines
- Southwest Airlines
- Delta Airlines
- Alaska Airlines
Note: The estimated travel time also includes Tucson to Phoenix airport driving time. This is because you have to spend a considerable amount of time driving between your location and the departure airport.
To assist you in planning a trip to the two major cities of Arizona, we described how far is Phoenix from Tucson. The major modes, routes, and airports were also covered by us. These details will help you to plan your trip in the best way.