New York City is one of the world’s major commercial and financial centers. It hosts the most popular tourist destination, New York Times Square, which is a vital commercial intersection. Washington, DC is the capital city of the United States. It is renowned for its neoclassical architecture and monuments. DC is often referred to as the cultural center of the U.S.
Visitors to these cities constitute mainly entrepreneurs. However, both NYC and DC are popular among vacationers as well. How far is Washington, DC, from New York City is something you ought to know while traveling to these cities. To draft a clear travel plan, it is also essential to find out the time taken to cover the distance between NYC and DC.
Non-stop Driving Time & Distance from Washington DC from New York City
|Nonstop Driving Distance|
229 Miles/369 KM
|Nonstop Driving Time|
3 Hours 50 Minutes
The distance from New York to Washington, DC is considerably long. Therefore, one of the fastest travel options by road is a non-stop car drive. You can quickly reach DC from NYC via a car drive without making any stops during the drive.
Estimated Drive Time Between Washington DC from New York City
|Average Speed||Travel Time|
|30 mph (48 km/h)||7 hours 38 minutes|
|40 mph (64 km/h)||5 hours 43 minutes|
|50 mph (80 km/h)||4 hours 34 minutes|
|60 mph (97 km/h)||3 hours 49 minutes|
|70 mph (112 km/h)||3 hours 16 minutes|
|75 mph (120 km/h)||3 hours 3 minutes|
The following route can be preferred to travel between New York and Washington:
- I-95 S: I-95 S which lies on the east coast of the U.S. is a major North-South Interstate Highway. It starts in Houlton and ends in Miami. When traveling through this route to DC, merge with NJ Turnpike S and follow the Y-Junction. Continue onto I-895 S and take the exit to merge with MD-295 S. Continue onto Baltimore PKWY and exit at US-50 W. Keep right toward New York Ave NE and continue onto Massachusetts Ave. Enter Scott Cir NW to reach Washington, USA.
Tip: I-95 S is packed with heavy traffic during mid-afternoons. You can avoid this route during this time.
Flying Non-Stop from Washington DC to New York City
|Nonstop Distance in Air|
204 Miles/329 KM
|Nonstop Time in Air|
One of the easiest air transport means of travel is flying non-stop. Through non-stop flying, you can cover the distance from New York to Washington, DC, as the crow flies. Non-stop flying is both quick and stress-free. Private jets and helicopters are the most preferred means of non-stop flying.
Tip: Both New York and Washington experience severe winters from December to March. Hence, flying can be avoided in these months as the skies get cloudy with the prevalence of snowstorms.
Road Trip from New York City to Washington, DC
How far is Washington, DC from New York depends upon the number of stops you make during the road trip. The average time taken to reach DC via a road trip is as follows:
|Road Trip Time|
1 Days of Driving
5 Hours on Road
A well-structured road trip between NYC and DC allows travelers to enjoy their drive to these cities. The driving distance from New York to Washington, DC, for a road trip is marked by numerous tourist attractions. The best of these locations are as follows:
- New Brunswick
- Wilmington in Delaware
- Aberdeen in Maryland
You can go through the following itinerary to easily plan a road trip to DC:
- You can start the trip in New York City.
- Drive for about 50 minutes to reach New Brunswick. New Brunswick is a popular city in Middlesex County famous for the Zimmerli Art Museum and The Frog and The Peach.
- Then drive for an hour to reach Philadelphia. Philadelphia is the historical center of the U.S., popular for The Liberty Bell, Independence Hall, and the Philadelphia Museum of Art.
- Next, drive for 35 minutes to Wilmington. Wilmington is located along the Delaware Rivers. It is famous for its museums like Delaware Art Museum, Hagley Museum, and Delaware Children’s Museum.
- A drive of 46 minutes will get you to Aberdeen. This city hosts the Susquehanna State Park, Aberdeen Historical Museum, Bulle Rock Golf Course, and Swan Harbor Farm.
- From Aberdeen, drive for 40 minutes to reach Baltimore. Baltimore is a major seaport in Maryland. It also has various iconic tourist attractions like the National Aquarium, the Baltimore Museum of Art, and The Walters Art Museum.
- At last, drive for about 58 minutes to reach Washington, DC.
Tip: Customize your itinerary according to the traffic conditions while covering the distance from NYC to Washington, DC. Avoid making stops during rush hours to reduce the travel time.
Airports and Flights from New York City to Washington, DC
One of the cheapest ways to get to DC from NYC is by commercial flight. Commercial flights are preferred by both entrepreneurs and tourists owing to their easy accessibility. They are also a comfortable travel choice for all age groups.
To cover the distance from Washington, DC, to New York City via commercial flights, you can book your tickets with:
- JFK or John F. Kennedy International Airport
- DCA or Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport
Find below the total time and distance you will have to cover by commercial flights:
Flight Time: 1 hour and 10 minutes
Travel Time: 4 hours
Note: The time spent driving to the airports and the additional time at security checks is included in the total driving time.
New York City to Washington DC by Bus
226 Miles/364 KM
4 Hours 30 Minutes
One of the inexpensive modes of transportation from New York to Washington, DC is by bus. Bus travel is reliable and affordable. Some buses are equipped with Wi-Fi services, and power outlets, thus, being a congenial mode of travel.
Route: Public buses usually follow the route through Gate #25 or #23 along West 42nd Street. They travel through 51 Madison Ave to reach DC from NYC.
The buses may stop at the following locations:
- Dyer Avenue
- Grand Central
- E 60 St
Here, we discussed how far is New York City from Washington, DC by air and road with details of travel time. Additionally, the major airports and routes were mentioned. This information will be useful in planning a good trip to these cities.