There can be some instances wherein your airline might have canceled or delayed your flight. In such instances, you should not panic. Every airline has set out some rules related to providing compensation to passengers. When you are traveling with Southwest, you can get a similar benefit. The Southwest flight delay compensation gives its passengers the option to rebook the next flight or go for other helpful facilities.
- When to Reach Southwest in Case of a Delay?
- How to Get Southwest Delayed Flight Compensation?
- Method 1: Using the Website
- Method 2: From the Southwest Airlines App
- Method 3: Via Customer Service
- Method 4: Via Social Media
- Method 5: By Mail
- What can You Receive as Flight Delay Compensation on Southwest?
- LUV Vouchers as Southwest Delay Compensation
- Get Coverage via Travel Insurance
- Rules of Southwest Flight Delay Compensation
- How Much is Southwest Delayed Flight Compensation?
- Are You Notified When Southwest Airlines Delays Your Flight?
- Southwest Airlines Refund Policy
When to Reach Southwest in Case of a Delay?
A few minutes of delay may seem acceptable. Given that the duration is a minimum of 45 minutes, you can contact this airline. It will be best to reach it at the airport for quick help and compensation requests.
How to Get Southwest Delayed Flight Compensation?
The flyers of Southwest Airlines can receive compensation when the flights get canceled by the provider due to extreme delays. They can claim it via both online and offline methods. Generally, the customers of this airline prefer the online method for its fast approach.
Those who require personal guidance with respect to the Southwest compensation for delayed flights can go for the offline protocols too.
Method 1: Using the Website
Airlines are not required to give customers flight compensation in the United States if their jets arrive late or do not come at all. Whenever a flight is fully booked and passengers have rejected the entry involuntarily, the US Department of Transportation (DOT) has created precise criteria that airlines must follow.
In this instance, once you can confirm whether you qualify for compensation, use this airline’s website to claim it online. Here is what you need to do when going for an online Southwest flight delayed compensation:
- Go to the official webpage of this carrier “www.southwest.com”
- You will have the option of “Manage Reservation”. Select it.
- Then you must fill out a request for a return flight or follow the instructions provided on-screen.
- The website can request information such as flight number, passenger’s name, and so on. Fill in the same as completely as possible.
- Wait for an answer from the airline after you’ve submitted your claim for compensation.
- Also, notify your credit card company of your plan to file a refund within the given timeframe.
- To file a claim for Southwest Airlines flight delay compensation, fill out the relevant documentation.
- Make photocopies of the claim form and supporting documents for your records.
- Submit the signed copy, along with any supporting paperwork, within the required time frame.
Kindly wait for a call from the airline’s executive. When he/she asks you some questions about your booking, then please provide relevant information. This will help the person in moving ahead to process the amount.
Method 2: From the Southwest Airlines App
Assuming that your flight is delayed/redirected, Southwest Airlines will assist you in rebooking the next one. Or, it can opt for refunding the unused portion of your ticket. Its representatives are authorized to assist you with lodgings at no extra cost in only certain situations. This will include overnight accommodation as Southwest delay compensation at a neighboring hotel and overland transit.
You can check if you are eligible for the above using the airline’s app. Afterward, you can perform these steps:
- Launch the app.
- Click on “Look up Reservation”.
Tip: When you utilize your points to complete your transaction, you can also obtain these details by logging into your Rapid Rewards page.
- Simply navigate to your reservation.
- Enter your name and flight reference number.
- See whether there are any refunded amounts available.
- Should you notice that your name has been incorrectly added onto the current ticket, then you can get it fixed. After the Southwest name change on the ticket is successful, you can continue with the next step.
- Select the applicable refund. It will be applied to the credit card you employed to purchase your ticket.
Method 3: Via Customer Service
Flyers may be paid for their future journeys when the airline delays flights. The Southwest delayed flight compensation can be obtained by contacting this US airline’s customer assistance department. It can be reached at +1-800-435-9792.
Here, a representative will first inquire about the cause of your application. Whether this cause syncs with the Southwest Airlines delayed flight compensation policy will be identified. He or she will next confirm the reimbursement claim. Flyers will be informed about the amount paid or any other benefit granted after the process has been completed.
This option will also be useful when you have related queries. Especially when an unaccompanied minor’s flight is late, guardians/parents can get assistance through this.
Method 4: Via Social Media
Find the social media handle of this airline. Add a post that mentions your concern. Be specific when you add any piece of information. Then add the official handle of Southwest. Now, you can await the response of the carrier to assist you amidst a flight delay.
|Social Media Platforms||Official Handles|
Method 5: By Mail
To seek help when your flight is not on time, you can contact the airline by mail. Sufficient time will be needed to use this method since the response may take time.
- Go to the page for “Contact Us“.
- Here, look for “Email Us”.
- Then tap on “Send us an Email”.
- This will take you to the page from where you can directly send an email to Southwest.
What can You Receive as Flight Delay Compensation on Southwest?
Travelers can seek Southwest delayed flight compensation under the airline’s 1-hour delay policy. So to say, they can make a claim when their trips are 1 hour late. They can receive a reasonable remuneration based on the duration of the delay.
When the flight is delayed for more than 90 minutes, customers are provided with the accompanying compensation:
- Rebooking on a different Southwest flight
- A $100 travel coupon which can be spent on a future reservation
- The refund for your airline ticket that was delayed
When the flyers are not provided with the next flight within 2 hours at Southwest, the following can be expected:
- The amount of the travel voucher given to the flyers would rise up to $300.
- LUV vouchers are given in certain instances.
- Customers who need Southwest Airlines compensation for delayed flights shall be put into the “Priority Standby” case.
- The subsequent flight arrives more than two hours beyond the planned departure. Then the price of the travel coupon will jump to $1350, along with the cost of the previous ticket.
You will be offered alternative non-stop services, as a part of the Southwest delay compensation policy. You can approve or pick one within 14 days of your initial departure date. Or, you can reschedule your trip without penalty. Then claim a refund to the form of payment you chose to book your ticket.
LUV Vouchers as Southwest Delay Compensation
One LUV voucher is inclusive of $75. It is possibly received on your registered email ID. The time to credit the same can be between 0-14 days. This voucher can apply to every passenger who has experienced a flight delay.
Eligibility Criterion for LUV Vouchers
A traveler whose Southwest flight has been delayed can obtain 1 LUV voucher. A person who made a booking under Companion Pass and Rapid Rewards is also eligible.
How to Use LUV Vouchers on Southwest?
When this form of Southwest flight delay compensation has been completely received, you can use it for ticket reservations. Regardless of the name added to the voucher, any passenger can benefit from it.
- A maximum of 2 vouchers can together be applied to a booking.
- While you book a flight online, come to the payment section.
- Here, you will see the tab “Southwest LUV Voucher”.
- Go to the email received that carried this document.
- From that, take down the following:
- “Security Code”
- “Voucher Number”
The document should now get applied. You can make the final payment.
Get Coverage via Travel Insurance
You can find policies that can ensure coverage against delays on Southwest. Especially for business professionals, doing so is recommended since delays can cause them losses. While they opt for Southwest delayed flight compensation, the insurance coverage will further help to make up for these losses.
Invest in a policy that covers:
- Flight delays
- Late arrival of baggage
- Losing luggage amidst delays
Rules of Southwest Flight Delay Compensation
Southwest Airlines may delay your flight for reasons that are not under the team’s control. However, when it cancels the flight by itself, it provides customers with some compensation. There can be some rules that apply while claiming it.
The Southwest Airlines delayed flight compensation rules are as mentioned below:
- According to the air passenger humanitarian law, not all flights that are delayed are eligible for benefits.
- The airline is not eligible to rebook you on another competitor’s booking.
- Flight delays caused by the airline, when leaving from an EU airport, are reimbursed. If your flight originated via a non-EU country, then EC 261 will not compensate you.
- Travelers whose flights have been delayed are not reimbursed for:
- Compensation for missed activities
- Customers who buy non-refundable reservations may not be subject to a refund.
- Passengers traveling from European airports can register for Southwest delayed flights compensation.
- When a passenger’s plane was late for more than 3 hours, he or she may be liable for a flight compensation of $700, under European law.
How Much is Southwest Delayed Flight Compensation?
It is put forth that in case your flight is delayed by more than 3 hours at the destination, you will be rewarded with a certain amount. This is also based on the distance ranging from 1,500 to 3,500 km.
|Amount of Compensation (€)||Distance of Flights|
|250||More than 1,500 km|
|400||Between 1,500-3,500 kilometers|
|600||Over 3,500 km|
|600||Greater than 3,500 km|
Note: There is only one exception to the above-said. When the delay at the destination is from 3 to 4 hours, the carrier is permitted to cut the compensation completely.
You may contact this carrier to inquire about the amount for add-ons or services like Southwest seat selection/upgrades. From one case to another, this benefit may vary.
Are You Notified When Southwest Airlines Delays Your Flight?
In order to get Southwest compensation for delayed flights, you need to be aware of the situation as soon as possible. Any of the modifications will be notified to travelers via an automatic system within 30 minutes of the carrier being notified itself.
Given that you do not check out, you will be contacted by:
Even at the airport, the carrier will make every attempt to alert passengers about any changes to the aircraft’s status. This will include the displayed flight details within its control.
Southwest Airlines Refund Policy
This US airline has a refund policy in place that covers both refundable and non-refundable flights. Importantly, because the flights and fares vary, the policy also differs. It is also worth noting that a traveler can only receive a refund after the cancellation process has been completed and approved by Southwest.
Refund Policy Rules for Southwest Airlines
You must follow some rules, given that you intend to receive flight delay compensation at Southwest Airlines. They will be implemented according to the nature of the ticket, whether it is refundable or non-refundable.
According to the refund policy, a flier must identify the rules listed below before submitting a refund request:
For Refundable Tickets:
Tickets purchased under the following conditions are refundable:
- Tickets for Business Select
- Tickets that are easily available in case a few reservations are to be made
- You must revoke the reservation at least 10 minutes prior to departing.
- The refund will be sent in the same manner that the ticket was purchased.
- In addition to money, you can also use “Travel Funds” as a refund alternative to Southwest flight delay compensation.
For Non-refundable Tickets:
- Non-refundable reservations can usually be reversed for a refund within 24 hours.
- Each ticket’s price can be refunded during twenty-four hours.
- This money can be used as a “Travel Fund”/reimbursement.
- If you seek a refund on a non-refundable reservation, then you must adhere to the rules of the no-show policy.
Connecting with this Airline for Queries
When you are experiencing flight delays, you may have certain queries. You can get in touch with this airline to receive answers. Particularly when you have complex queries such as whether Southwest delayed flight compensation is given if you are traveling with your pet, the following options will help:
|Contact Medium||Phone Number/ID/Address|
|On call||1-800-435-9792 for general queries1-800-445-5764 for Rapid Rewards fliers1-800-435-9792 for baggage during late arrival|
|Letter||P.O. Box 36647-1CRDallas, Texas 75235|
Delays in flights can land passengers into trouble or discomfort. They can generally happen due to weather changes and faults in air operations. Southwest understands the concern of its passengers, and, hence, provides compensation. By implying all the rules and regulations stated above, travelers can get the benefits of Southwest Airlines flight delay compensation with ease.
Frequently Asked Questions
There are several options for travelers to claim their compensation at Southwest Airlines. They can go for flight delay Southwest compensation either via online or offline methods. The passengers can also reach the airport and claim their compensation by themselves.
A minimum of 1-hour delay can make one qualified for compensation. However, based on the circumstances, the benefit shall be given. Particularly when the airline isn’t at fault, it may not compensate even for small delays.
Yes, Southwest Airlines compensates its passengers for delayed flights. However, the Southwest flight delay compensation may depend upon the duration and distance of the trip. You can also be entitled to a benefit from its other compensation methods like free food, refreshments during the halt, and also a hotel stay if the delays are generally longer than 5 hours.
Your trip may be affected due to a delay. But Southwest Airlines will offer the rebooking option in this regard. It can additionally give you coupons. Otherwise, a refund or compensation can be claimed.
You can get assistance in 3 ways in case of flight delays. You can ask for another flight that fits your schedule. Secondly, you can request compensation. Thirdly, this airline can provide you with vouchers for future trips.
It will be suggested to connect with this carrier’s customer service department. Kindly dial the number +1-800-435-9792. Otherwise, when you are present at the airport, ask for compensation in person. For this, you can head to Southwest’s counter.
You can get compensated in cash or kind when your flight is late. From nearly $300 onward, you can receive money to suffice the loss. In other ways, the airline can provide you with lodgings or accommodation facilities.
Travelers can get compensation when their flight gets delayed by Southwest. These delays can occur due to unavoidable circumstances. Depending upon the distance covered, Southwest flight delayed compensation can be received. When the distance covered is more than 1500 kilometers, you might get 250€. Similarly, for the distance between 1500-3500 kilometers, you may receive 400€. Above 3500 kilometers’ distance, you can be compensated with 600€.
A part of the compensation policy for delayed flights covers assistance for minor inconveniences. Hence, when 1-hour delays occur, you can expect a decent amount of money. Otherwise, for additional help, contacting the airline is suggested.
This airline’s policy can be governed by European law. As per this, in the instances of 3-hour delays, remuneration can be received. Its amount can be equivalent to around $700. But other factors that led to the delays will also be taken into account.
A duration of 5 hours is considerably long. In this duration, plans can severely be affected. Understanding this, Southwest can compensate you. Possibly, aside from the number of hours, the distance of your flight may be considered. On the basis of the same, the final compensation can be determined.
Given that your flight was delayed and the destination airport was reached after 2 hours, compensation can be accessed. In other cases, alternate flights can be provided for passengers to embark on their trips.
When you are at the airport in the instance of a flight delay, head to the counter of Southwest. Here, you can seek assistance like compensation. Provided that you are yet to reach the airport, call the airline. Then ask for an alternative or remuneration.
Related Pages :