For minors, traveling to domestic locations in the most convenient way can be observed via flights of Southwest. The availability of the Southwest Airlines unaccompanied minor policy makes certain that every relevant process is clarified to parents and guardians.
With the application of various rules and in-person assistance, it is not complex to complete these processes. Thus, with convenience, children can fly with this safe and low-cost operator.
- Southwest Unaccompanied Minor Age Limit
- What are the Southwest Airlines Unaccompanied Minor Rules?
- Southwest Unaccompanied Minor Policy Rules for Hawaii
- How can Unaccompanied Minors Fly on Southwest via this Policy?
- How to Book Unaccompanied Minor Flight on Southwest Airlines?
- What is the Southwest Airlines Unaccompanied Minor Form?
- Other Documents Needed for Young Flyers on Southwest
- Constraints Associated with Southwest Unaccompanied Minor Policy
- Southwest Airlines Unaccompanied Minor Fee
Southwest Unaccompanied Minor Age Limit
It has been indicated by this budget-friendly air operator that the service for an unescorted child is limited to a certain age. Up to or over 12 years of age, children cannot utilize this service.
To put it another way, the maximum Southwest Airlines unaccompanied minor age is 11 years. It must also be noted that the minimum age in this regard is 5 years. Although this airline allows flyers who are 12 years old to travel by themselves, it suggests that parents must ensure their capability to do so.
Hence, these children should be aware of the airport procedures and be able to follow the directions given to them. Furthermore, when instances that create disturbances, as per the Southwest flight delay compensation policy, occur, these flyers should be able to cope with the same.
What are the Southwest Airlines Unaccompanied Minor Rules?
With the other Southwest Airlines unaccompanied minor rules, the convenience of both kids and staff can be assured.
- While going through any guidelines, papers, or documents of this airline, children may be referred to as:
- Unaccompanied minors or UMs (Aged 5 to 11 years)
- Youth travelers (at least 12 or more years of age)
- It is vital to complete the security, check-in, and boarding processes on time.
- The minor must adhere to the baggage policy of this carrier and pack accordingly.
- A kid may not be monitored at all times. Therefore, Southwest recommends that when your child is mature enough, only then should he/she be allowed to fly.
- This Southwest Airlines unaccompanied minors policy can involve multiple processes. Throughout these, every piece of information shared must be correct. Otherwise, the transition of the minor can be affected.
- When there are chances of flight diversions, this budget-friendly airline may not allow UMs to travel. Also, when cancellations occur, flight changes may not be recommended. This is because unaccompanied minors on southwest may not be able to handle either of the situations.
- When an authorized individual doesn’t appear to pick up the kid, the airline can decide the next course of action. The expenses encountered in this will have to be paid by the parent/guardian.
Southwest Unaccompanied Minor Policy Rules for Hawaii
When you are hoping to visit Hawaii, at Southwest Airlines, you will be asked to follow certain other rules. To/from this location and the U.S. Mainland, certain procedures are found. They revolve around the movement of plants and animals. Even for the checking of bags, the procedures can be different.
This can lead to more guidelines for unaccompanied minors on Southwest being followed when a kid is traveling to or from Hawaii. For both YTs and UMs, the Plants and Animals Declaration Form is mandatory. It will have to be carried by the child throughout the trip. It will be collected onboard.
How can Unaccompanied Minors Fly on Southwest via this Policy?
A minor can travel to a domestic location with the application of this policy but only after the functioning of this feature is understood. A parent/guardian and an unaccompanied minor on Southwest must know that the policy comes packed with various processes. 45 minutes prior to the flight’s time of departure, the final process must be done.
- You will be required to come with your child to the airport.
- Head to Southwest flight check-in counter. Ensure that this process is completed.
- To the official of this airline, you have to provide the documents as mentioned in the Southwest Airlines unaccompanied minor policy.
- Then pay the charges to use the minor service. The carrier may only approve credit card payments.
- After this, you have to obtain the boarding pass of the minor.
- Soon, an escort pass will be given to you. It will enable you to remain on the airport, near the gate, until the minor’s flight takes off.
- An official will inform you when you can leave the airport.
- Once the arrival point has been reached by the child, a representative of Southwest will escort him/her.
- The authorized person who has to pick up that child will have to be present at the destination airport at least 45 minutes prior to the landing. Then she/he will have to show a valid proof of ID accepted under the Southwest unaccompanied minors policy. After this, the minor will be given over to that person.
How to Book Unaccompanied Minor Flight on Southwest Airlines?
You can access 2 offline methods to book a flight with the minor service. Among these, calling is suggested for those who have doubts or need more help. For quick assistance, You can book unaccompanied minors southwest service by visiting the airport.
To prevent long queues, the staff will be on their toes to make the reservation.
Method 1: Dialling the Phone Number for Reservations
You may be present in any location in the United States of America. You can find the contact number of unaccompanied minors southwest airlines available as per the region. Through this, you will be connected to an official.
This person must be informed that you want to book one ticket for a child. Provided that this child fits in the category of southwest airlines unaccompanied minors, this official will book his/her ticket. In accordance with the Southwest Airlines unaccompanied minor policy, the remaining process will be carried out.
- Provide all the travel-related forms and documents to the official. You can confirm the mode of their submission.
- Enquire the amount of fee associated with the unaccompanied minor policy. Decide how you will be paying it.
After the Southwest Airlines unaccompanied minor service gets applied to your child’s ticket, here is what you will be doing:
- Seek the booking Confirmation Number from the airline’s official.
- Then share this number with the authorized person who will be dropping off and receiving the child from the airports.
Method 2: Bookings via Airport
Passengers who are well aware of the minor policy should head to the airport. They can take vital documents and papers along with them. When they approach the ticket counter of Southwest, they can request flight tickets for their kids aged 5 to 11 years.
The process of booking unaccompanied minors Southwest service will not take much time at the airport.
What is the Southwest Airlines Unaccompanied Minor Form?
The unaccompanied form can hint at a document officially provided by this US-based airline. It demands information that can relate to the parent as well as the child. Apart from the parent, the details of a guardian may be asked, assuming that the former is unavailable.
In the Southwest unaccompanied minor form, these details may have to be filled in:
- The details of the flight
- A minor’s first and last name
- This traveler’s address
- His or her guardian’s details
- The information of the person who will be available at the origin and destination points
The Southwest change name on ticket feature is available to correct important details. This airline encourages that only spelling-free and accurate information be shared.
Other Documents Needed for Young Flyers on Southwest
While the unaccompanied minor form is highly essential, the documentation required by Southwest can include more papers. Only after submitting these, can unaccompanied minors fly on Southwest. Moreover, for their pick up, the person in authority will be obliged to show certain documents.
- The person who will be receiving the minor at the arrival point will require a legal identity card with a photo.
- Age proof is essential. Hence, the minor’s birth certificate can be asked for.
Constraints Associated with Southwest Unaccompanied Minor Policy
Southwest mostly has feature-rich policies to give its clients as much comfort as possible. But they may come with certain constraints. With reference to the Southwest Airlines unaccompanied minor policy, at least 3 limitations are found associated with these.
Before planning to make reservations, it is highly suggested that this information be checked.
- Minors cannot be placed on transit flights. They can only travel on direct or stopover trips that involve no flight change.
- Any electronics carried by a kid may not be charged onboard.
- The unaccompanied minor service is limited to domestic locations.
Southwest Airlines Unaccompanied Minor Fee
Although children may not be continuously assisted, this airline does ensure that they remain safe in every instance. This is why the unaccompanied minor policy can include charges for this service. The Southwest unaccompanied minor fee is not fixed. It varies as per the trip.
- $50 is to be paid for every minor who is unaccompanied. This charge applies to every way traveled by the young traveler. Please be informed that the charge decided by the carrier remains the same or as decided by the airline for such travelers. Even when more than 1 minor is flying together, the charge will have to be individually paid.
- The charge can be $100 for a round-trip reservation.
Waivers under Southwest Airlines Unaccompanied Minor Policy
Traveling with kids may or may not be expensive. However, when they are traveling alone, certain expenses will definitely be encountered. Parents may then wonder does Southwest allow unaccompanied minors to fly with the application of some waivers.
Although waivers specifically for kids may not be found, this airline can give your certain provisions.
- The fee can be waived for youth travelers. This can mainly be because they will not require higher supervision.
- Unaccompanied kids may not be able to avail themselves of waivers. However, their tickets can be booked using Rapid Rewards. These are the points given by this airline for booking trips with it. Through these, the cost of flight tickets can be reduced or waived. But $50 will still be needed as the Southwest Airlines unaccompanied minor fee for the supervision services involved.
Is the Southwest Unaccompanied Minor Fee Refundable?
As you may know, when you have to reserve a ticket for your young one who is unaccompanied, Southwest will ask you for a fee. If your kid is continuing that air trip, then the fee will remain in use. Contrary to this, when the trip is no longer continued, the option to refund it will be provided.
This Southwest unaccompanied minor fee remains refundable under the following conditions:
- The minor’s reservation is canceled by an authorized person.
- A reserved flight ticket is revoked by this US-based carrier. Further, when the rebooking option is given, it is not utilized by the person in authority.
- The child is no longer traveling alone or is assisted by a flyer who is at least 12 years old.
How to Get Refunds for Southwest Unaccompanied Minors Fees?
Once you have gone through the conditions to claim a refund for an unaccompanied young flyer, you should file a request. You can do so in 2 ways.
Both ways are inclusive of offline methods as of now. There may not be an online option to do so. But when you connect with an official through the suggested ways, you can enquire about the same.
Using the Southwest unaccompanied minor policy, these ways are effective for claiming a refund for a kid’s fee:
- You can dial this phone number – 1-800-435-9792. An official of Southwest is likely to pick up your call. Elaborate on your concern regarding your unaccompanied minor’s fee refund. That official will take the procedure further to get you back your money.
- Secondly, you can get the fee refunded in person. You can head to the airport and reach the ticket counter of this airline. After sharing your request, submit the relevant documentation at the counter. The process to initiate the refund will begin.
On the Whole
By following various Southwest Airlines unaccompanied minor rules, kids can complete solo journeys. The professional services of this carrier will ensure their safety at all times. Parents can be assured that their children will conveniently reach their destinations, given the efficiency of this policy and the carrier.
Frequently Asked Questions
As per the Southwest Airlines unaccompanied minor policy, documentation is essential. Therefore, ID proof will be needed. Not only the minor but also the person coming to drop and receive him or her will have to bring this proof.
This airline supports offline methods to reserve its unaccompanied minor service. In case you wish to book it online only, you can reach the experts at Southwest. They will let you know whether or not this service can be booked over the internet.
On Southwest unaccompanied minor age limit is important. If it is abided by, then there should not be any problem for a kid to get approval for flying alone. The minimum age limit is 5 years while the maximum one is 11 years. On the basis of this, a kid can avail of this service.
From checking in to boarding, this carrier will ensure the complete convenience and safety of your child. For all of this, it will apply a Southwest Airlines unaccompanied minor fee. $50 is the minimum charge for this service. it is applicable to each way covered by the minor.
On this airline, unaccompanied minors can fly. Their minimum age should be five years. But when they are beyond 12 years, they will not be subject to the minor policy although they will be allowed to fly otherwise. To make a booking under this policy, please contact this airline.
When a parent is using the unaccompanied minor policy, he/she will have to pay a fee. $50 is the minimum charge involved in this. For a round-trip, it can rise to $100. The Southwest unaccompanied minor fee can be changed, depending on the decision of the airline.
Southwest can charge between $50 to $100 for a one-way or round-trip. These can be the additional charges aside from the flight reservation cost. The fees can undergo changes. Before you make a booking, connect with this airline to find out the recent charges applicable.
On this airline, you can book an unaccompanied minor flight ticket by visiting the airport nearby. You are requested to go to the counter of Southwest. Present your request along with the documents of you and your child. The booking will soon be made.
At the time of booking, this airline can ask you for important certificates. Your or guardian’s identity proof will be needed. Documents ascertaining the unaccompanied minors Southwest age proof will also be required. Aside from these, you will be informed about the other requirements while booking the ticket.