Whether you are a cat or dog person, the objective of JetBlue is to make the upcoming trips with your furry friend smooth and stress-free. Before you book tickets, you should know the traveling requirements, restrictions, documentation, etc. In simple terms, you must know the JetBlue pet policy and its various aspects.
- JetBlue’s Pet Travel Rules
- Size and Weight of the Pet Carrier
- How much is the JetBlue Airlines Pet Fee?
- How can You Register or Add a Pet?
- Important Aspects of Traveling at JetBlue with Pets
- Checklist for Traveling with Dogs and Cats
- JetBlue Airlines Pet Policies for Service Animals
- How to Request a Service Animal?
- Rules for Bringing Pets on Mint
- Restrictions for Service Animals
JetBlue’s Pet Travel Rules
By knowing the pet travel policy and its rules, you will be able to enjoy the next trip with your loving companion even more.
- The airline allows dogs and cats onboard.
- Passengers will need to showcase their documents related to health and vaccination.
- Depending on the origin and travel destination, the set of required documents may vary.
- To travel without any hassle, you will need to keep your animal in an approved carrier.
- You can get the kennel from the official website of JetBlue.
- The pet carrier on JetBlue will be considered as 1 personal item.
- This kennel should fit perfectly under the space given in the front seat.
- Only one pet in the carrier will be allowed.
- The purchased cage should have sufficient space so that the animal can stay in its natural position throughout the journey.
- You will not be allowed to take your companion out of the cage at the airport or on the flight in any situation.
Note: Travelers can fly internationally and nationally with pets. In the former case, they can get in touch with the airline to know the latest restrictions and terms.
Size and Weight of the Pet Carrier
As per the policy, the JetBlue-approved pet carrier should have the following:
- Maximum Size: 17 inches (L) x 12.5 inches (W) x 8.5 inches (H)
- Maximum Weight: 20 pounds (including the carrier)
- It should be FAA-approved.
- You can buy it at the airport counter by paying USD 55.
How much is the JetBlue Airlines Pet Fee?
To travel with your animal, you will need to pay some amount as the travel fee. For bringing your dog or cat (small in size only), you will need to pay an amount of USD 125. This is for a one-way trip.
How can You Register or Add a Pet?
To book for or add your animal, you will have 3 different modes: website, application, and phone number. Look at the following for more details:
Via Official Website
- Visit the official website of JetBlue.
- Sign in with your username and password.
- Complete the booking process as usual.
- To add your dog/cat, you will need to go to the option “EXTRAS”.
- Here, you will get the option to add your animal.
- Click on it and complete further steps.
- Once you are done, pay the applicable amount.
- While doing so, do not forget to read the policy for delayed flight compensation of JetBlue in case you come across such a situation. This will help you identify whether or not you can get the fee back in this instance.
- Check your registered email ID or phone number to get the confirmation.
From the Mobile App
To add your cat or dog, you can also utilize the official mobile app of JetBlue. You will need to download, install, and open the app. While booking, you can find the “EXTRAS” option. Complete the steps as they appear on your screen. Pay the pet travel fee to add your companion to the booking.
Through Customer Assistance
You can call this airline for registering your furry being. Depending on the place/country/state you are available at, the contact numbers may vary. Look at the following for more:
- United States: 1-800-538-2583)
- Bahamas: 1-800-538-2583
- Costa Rica: 0800-012-1666
- Barbados: 1-877-596-2413
- Dominican Republic: 809-200-9898
- Bermuda: 1-800-884-9616
- Cuba: 800 52583
- Grand Cayman: 1-855-710-2951
- St. Maarten: 001-877-306-4939
- Grenada: 1-8558402106
- Haiti: 2229-2583
- Jamaica: 1-800-963-3014
- Turks & Caicos: 1-877-390-5447
- Mexico: 001-800-861-3372
- Saint Lucia: 1-877-766-9614
- United Kingdom: 08-082349058
- Germany: 0800-6648288
- Aruba: 297-588-5388
- Ireland: 1-800-657427
- Colombia: 01800-9-156761
- Curacao: 0800-0258
- Trinidad & Tobago: 1-800-538-2583
- Ecuador: 800-538-2583
- Peru: 080051061
- For All other countries (a toll-free call): 1-801-449-2525
Important Aspects of Traveling at JetBlue with Pets
To travel with cats and dogs without any additional hassle, you will need to keep the following aspects of the JetBlue pet travel policy in mind:
- Every ticketed passenger can travel with a maximum of 2 animals in the cabin.
- Passengers will need to book a seat for the second animal as well as have to pay the pet travel fee.
- Each flight will only accept 4 cats or dogs.
- So, book as soon as you decide to take your furry friend with you.
- No animals will be allowed in the MINT (business class airline by JetBlue).
- Always sit on the aisle or window seat so that your dog or cat does not disturb fellow passengers.
- The airline will not allow you to sit with your pet in the exit or emergency row.
- No animals will be allowed on the codeshare or interline bookings.
- By adding a furry being to your booking, the members of JetBlue’s frequent flyer program i.e. TrueBlue can get 300 points for each segment.
- You must pay special attention to the dog or cat’s age.
- To enter some nations such as the US, your dog should be at least 12 weeks old and have completed all vaccinations including rabies.
- You cannot take your companion out of the carrier, except for the relief areas pointed out by the airline at the airports.
Checklist for Traveling with Dogs and Cats
You can make your upcoming trip with an animal breezy when you are well-informed and prepared. As per the JetBlue Airlines pet policy, some useful points have been mentioned below to have a perfect trip. Take a look:
- ID tags of your animal
- Health documents
- Vaccine certificates
- The license of the dog or cat
- FAA-approved kennel
- A favorite toy of your pet
- Animal chews and treats
- Necessary animal supplies
- Pre-flight workouts for the cat or dog
JetBlue Airlines Pet Policies for Service Animals
In addition to pet animals, passengers can also bring fully-trained dogs as service animals. These dogs should be trained to perform certain tasks for individuals with special needs. Some important details have been mentioned here that you should remember while traveling with service animals:
- Fill out the US Department of Transportation Service Animal Air Transportation Form and submit it promptly.
- You are advised not to mention anything false or incorrect whether in the form or ticket.
- Also, check the process of JetBlue for changing your name online in case you want to modify/correct something later on.
- Inform the airline at least 2 days before the expected time of the flight about the service animal.
- Each dog should be trained by a certified trainer or agency.
- You must keep your service dog properly leashed, harnessed, or tethered.
- Dogs’ behavior will closely be monitored by the airport as well as airline authorities.
- The boarding will be denied if service animals do not:
- behave properly
- or respond to the owner’s command.
- Special approval will be needed from the Animal Reception Center if you are traveling to:
- London Gatwick
- or London Heathrow.
- Each ticketed passenger with special needs (or any sort of disability) can bring up to 2 dogs in the cabin.
- Based on the rules and policy of JetBlue for flying with pets, your service dog should sit on the floor or in your lap.
- You will not be allowed to let your animal occupy any seat or touch fellow passengers, tray table, etc.
How to Request a Service Animal?
You need to follow a well-defined procedure to get your service animal on this air carrier. It is a two-step process and you must complete it at least 2 days before the actual flight time. Here are the details:
In this step, you will need to do the following:
- Fill out and submit the DOT Service Animal Air Transportation Form.
- In this form, you will need to provide some essential details including the:
o Vet’s name
o Contact number
o Date and expiration of the rabies vaccine
o Name of the trainer or training firm
o Contact number
- Upon this, you will get the Service Animal Transport Solutions Service Animal ID
Note: You can directly move to step two if you already have this ID.
Important: Until you have new vaccine records to update, you will not require completing this step again and again.
At this step, you will need to complete certain processes every time you book the space. Do not forget to keep the hard copies or e-versions of the US DOT Service Animal Air Transportation form with you. While having all these, you can request the airline or concerned department for the service animal.
Note: Traveling with a trained service animal is free of cost. Besides, trained dogs and cats can also travel in the cabin but as a normal pet only.
Rules for Bringing Pets on Mint
You should keep in mind that only service dogs are permitted on Mint. However, there are some rules for carrying pets on JetBlue Mint. These are:
- Only trained dogs will be allowed.
- Passengers will need to keep the animal on their lap.
- If they are not that small, then your service animal must be on the floor throughout the journey.
- The acceptance of service animals is subject to space availability. So, you can book a seat for them to ensure a spot.
- They must be well-behaved and properly leashed, harnessed, etc.
Restrictions for Service Animals
As per the CDC rules, this airline is not accepting dogs that are coming to or from countries with higher rabies risk. These include:
Passengers may require special approval for the following routes after 20th December 2021:
- Dominican Republic
Service dogs entering from the cities mentioned above will have to show the following, under JetBlue’s pet policy documentation:
- Age: A minimum of 6 months
- Fully vaccinated and weaned
- A valid rabies certificate issued by a US-based vet or Dog Import Permit by CDC
Every country may have a different set of rules but JetBlue’s pet policy will remain the same for most cases. So, it is suggested to go through the policy and rules mentioned to have a better travel experience with your furry friend.
Frequently Asked Questions
Look at the following frequently asked questions and their answers to know more about the pet travel policy of JetBlue:
The airline is quite strict with pet carriers. If you do not abide by the carrier and related rules, the airline has the right to deny your boarding.
No, passengers are only allowed to have small and domesticated dogs or cats.
The carrier for your animal should be FAA-approved and has the dimensions of 17 inches (L) x 12.5 inches (W) x 8.5 inches (H).
No, the airline does not have any specific cargo policy for pets’ transportation. Hence, you can only bring your dogs or cats to the cabin.
The travel fee for a one-way trip is USD 125 for one animal.
No, you can also bring pets and small cats into the cabin.
Use “EXTRAS” on the website of this carrier to register your cat or dog.
The carrier may check the weight of your animal which should be less than 20 pounds including the kennel.
This air operator allows limited pets. Hence, booking in advance is important.
Yes, among several other documents, a health certificate is also required.