Before taking off, it’s crucial to be ready for a variety of scenarios. These could involve canceled or delayed flights. This airline has adopted the Southwest cancellation policy to help with such occurrences, particularly cancellations.
You should read this policy in advance because cancellations can happen at any time. It might assist you to decide how to handle cancellations if you are aware of the crucial laws and regulations it contains. Furthermore, as a traveler, you should be familiar with this policy in case of any unanticipated occurrences.
Defining the Southwest Airlines Cancellation Policy
Before attempting to cancel, passengers must be aware of these regulations. They’ll be better able to adhere to airline policy as a result. The following conditions will apply when you request Southwest flight cancellations –
- Wanna Get Away fares are entirely refundable and reusable when a Southwest Airlines flight is canceled, however, they are not refundable.
- By contrast, Anytime and Business Select fares are fully refundable and reusable.
- Wanna Get Away, Anytime, and Business Select prices may only be utilized for a subsequent trip by the originally booked passenger up to one year from the initial date of purchase, as per Southwest cancellation policy.
- Southwest Airlines’ cancellation policy states that the ticket must be canceled at least 10 minutes before the departure time. All airline tickets are refundable and exchangeable as long as they are revoked following the policy.
- For the Business Select and Anytime tickets, customers can choose to have their money back in the original mode of payment.
- The leftover balance will be paid back to the original account if the traveler used fare points to purchase the ticket. Other fees and taxes may be eligible for a Southwest flight refund.
Please note – Anytime and Business Select fares can be changed, rather than requesting cancellation. To know more, refer to Southwest Airlines flight change policy.
Southwest Airline 24 Hour Cancellation Policy
Within 24 hours after booking, a traveler could decide to cancel the trip for a variety of reasons. Southwest allows customers to cancel tickets by any means within 24 hours of booking, per Southwest cancellation policy. In addition –
- Your regular payment option or trip funds, if applicable, will be credited with the reimbursement.
- Only if the ticket is canceled within 24 hours of the purchase, will the traveler be given a refund.
- Within 24 hours of making the reservation, a traveler may also cancel a ticket purchased using a Southwest Gift Card or a coupon.
Additionally, you can modify your Southwest airline reservation and receive a full refund up to 24 hours after booking.
Southwest Airline COVID-19 Cancellation Policy
Southwest Airlines is aware that the covid-19 viral outbreak has resulted in the government issuing some requirements and travel restrictions. Possible quarantines, airline cancellations, temperature checks, COVID testing upon arrival and exit, and other limitations are examples of these. Southwest Airlines’ cancellation policy affords you options if a situation like this arises.
- Avoid paying any cancellation or change costs.
- Within a year after the time of purchase, you may use your trip money.
- Rapid reward points are always valid for use.
Southwest Airlines Refund Policy
In select situations, a passenger receives a refund when a Southwest flight is canceled. A traveler must meet the criteria listed below to be eligible for a refund:
- Southwest Airlines cancellations don’t result in refunds for passengers.
- Anytime and Business Choice fares are refundable and reusable.
- Wanna Get Away rates, which are reusable but nonrefundable.
- The percentage of the ticket that is unused will be reimbursed to the passenger.
- Southwest Airlines cancellation policy refund would be applicable only on the unused portion of the ticket.
- The future credit voucher must be utilized up to 12 months after it was issued.
- An initial ticket refund will be applied to the original form of payment.
- No refund is permitted after the Southwest Flight check-in request is completed.
Southwest Airline Vacation Package Cancellation
You must instantly update or cancel your package if your plans change. What you should know about Southwest vacations cancellation policy is as follows:
- You will receive a refund in the form of travel credit if your holiday package does not include additional travel insurance.
- If the vacation package contains the Wanna Get Away Fare, the traveler will receive a refund in the form of travel credit. In this scenario, the cancellation must occur at least 10 minutes before the flight’s planned departure.
- Any hotel or vehicle rental reservations that are canceled by the passenger will incur fees from the source.
- Southwest airlines cancellation policy states that there are no fees for cancellations made within the allotted time.
Southwest Airline Ticket Cancellation Reasons
Circumstances like Southwest flights canceled may appear for a variety of reasons. Both personal and professional factors may be at play.
It may be necessary for you to utilize the Southwest cancels flight tool in such unavoidable circumstances. Additionally, being aware of the likely reasons for cancellation may help you prevent them. However, you will be prepared should cancellations become unavoidable and know what to do and how to do it. Besides, passengers are also entitled to get Southwest canceled flight compensation.
Following are a few of the key reasons why travelers may need to cancel their flights:
- personal difficulties
- hazard problems
- health issues
- meetings at work
- meetings for professionals
- A sudden change of plans
- A closest family member’s passing or harm
- destination changes for departure
Other reasons for adjustments and cancellations include others. You’ll be free to change your flying plans in these situations without hesitation. Southwest airlines cancellation policy is available to you at any time throughout your trip, and it is fairly lenient.
The “no-show” policy states that your ticket will be instantly canceled if you do not arrive at the airport when you are supposed to board. In this case, you might not be able to get a refund.
Compensation for Delays and Cancellations on Southwest Airlines
Passengers will be eligible for the Southwest Airlines canceled flight compensation when the carrier itself cancels reservations. This also holds for canceled flights. If your flight is canceled less than 14 days before takeoff, you are eligible for compensation of around $700.
The flight’s journey distance and time are the two key factors that determine the compensation in the event of delays. Usually, if a flight is delayed for more than three hours, compensation is offered.
You should also be aware of the following under the Southwest airlines cancellation policy for compensation:
|Flight Distance||Compensation Charge(USD)|
|Shorter than 1500 km||325 USD|
|Between 1500 to 3500 km||475 USD|
|Longer than 3500||725 USD|
How to Cancel My Southwest Flight?
Southwest offers several options for flight cancellations. You may decide on the approach based on whatever option makes you feel the most secure.
All of these options will be available for usage throughout the day under the Southwest Airlines flight cancellation policy.
Method 1- Online ticket cancellation
Online ticket cancellation is the easiest but most efficient technique. It may be used by a passenger by following a few procedures. Following are the detailed instructions for canceling tickets online:
- Check to visit the Southwest website or get its app.
- Open the menu to the “Southwest Manage Booking” tab.
- By signing into their accounts, travelers who have booked tickets using Rapid Points can cancel or modify their Southwest tickets.
- Enter the passenger’s name and the confirmation number in the space provided.
- The flight refund amount is included in your reservation.
- You have the option of receiving a refund or converting into travel credit .
- To cancel the reservation, select “Cancel Flight.” If your ticket includes many passengers, you can choose the right one from the registration.
- Under Southwest Airlines’ cancellation policy, the flight ticket reimbursement will appear on the bank statements after one or two billing cycles.
Method 2- Ticket Cancellation Through The Phone
When a customer calls the customer service agent, they can cancel the ticket. Passengers can utilize it whenever it suits them because it is an offline technique. The steps that make up the calling method are as follows:
- Call to cancel a flight with Southwest Airlines.
- Give the airline representative the passenger’s name and the reservation registration number.
- Request that the travel advisor cancels the booking.
- Pay attention to the travel money or refundable amount.
- The cashback may appear on the bank statements after one to two billing cycles.
Method 3- Ticket Cancellation to The Airport
If the cancellation is requested at least 10 minutes before the departure time, the traveler may do so at the airport. To reject the ticket, the consumer must approach the airline representative at the terminal counter. You will need the passenger’s name, booking reference number, and other pertinent information to submit a request.
As per Southwest cancellation policy, if canceling the flight, the request must be submitted at the airport up to 10 minutes before the scheduled departure.
For Southwest airline cancellations, you must carefully adhere to the guidelines.
Southwest Cancellation Fee
This carrier is committed to its clients’ convenience. It makes an effort to make flying affordable and enjoyable for them. Due to this, this airline doesn’t charge anything for permitting cancellations of flights.
Therefore, Southwest’s policy of free cancellations is quite advantageous to its clients. Not all Southwest fares are refundable, there are fares that offer the travel credit instead of refund.
|Fares||Business Select||Any Time||Wanna Get Away +||Wanna Get Away|
|Refund||Original method of payment||Original method of payment||Travel credit||Travel credit|
In sum, flying with Southwest becomes flexible, given the availability of its cancellation policy. It makes it easier to postpone travel plans and discontinue tickets. With clear rules, using the policy is a simple task.
Frequently Asked Questions
Southwest Airlines makes it simple to cancel a reservation that has already been made. Both online and over the phone are options for doing it.
Yes, you can easily cancel your flight two-way online and over the phone provided you must request cancellation up to 10 minutes before scheduled departure.
Southwest Airlines, the biggest domestic airline in the country, and its customers have had a difficult month with more than 500-weekend flight cancellations and more than 2,500 delays.
Go to Southwest’s flight status page, where you may enter your departure and arrival airports as well as the date of your trip, to find out the status of your flight. Any changes to the status of your flight will be immediately visible.
It is because of the severe snowstorms that affected travel for millions of passengers. The airline however had offered a refund as well as Southwest canceled flight compensation.