Passengers traveling via Fiji Airlines must understand its diverse baggage guidelines and baggage allowance to plan the journey and airport process conveniently. Fiji Airways cater to wide categories of passengers through its domestic, international, location, and age-specific baggage rules and regulations.
You can find all the crucial aspects of Fiji Airways baggage policy below.
What is Fiji Airways baggage allowance for Cabin Baggage?
Fiji Airways have bifurcated the cabin baggage allowance for domestic and international travel for easy understanding and convenience of the passengers.
You can use the details below for easy navigation at the airport –
What is the Domestic Travel Fiji Cabin Baggage Allowance under Fiji Airlines baggage policy?
For domestic travel, keep the following details in mind –
- Weight concept – The domestic travel weight concept applies to all tickets issued on the dates issued by the airline.
- The baggage allowance is applicable per item within the booking reservation.
- Those who connect to/ from Fiji Airport domestic flights from/ to any international ports on Fiji Airline must follow international baggage allowance.
- Baggage Allowance – Passengers must follow the below-mentioned cabin baggage allowance charges for domestic travel.
|Type of Passenger||Fare Type/ Ticket Class||Baggage Allowance|
|Adult and Children||Economy Class||● One item piece is allowed |
● Maximum allowed weight – 15 lbs or 7 kg
|Infant (Less than 2 Yrs)||All Classes||● Not applicable|
What is the International Travel Fiji Airways check in baggage allowance for the cabin?
Passengers must follow the given regulations regarding Fiji cabin baggage allowance for international travel.
- Location-specific – Fiji airline imposes separate baggage allowance charges if the travel begins or ends in Honolulu, San Francisco, Los Angeles, or Vancouver.
- Excess baggage allowance – If the cabin bag does not fit in the overhead bin area, it can be checked in at the check in counter after paying for excess baggage.
- The airline may charge a non-compliant fee for cabin baggage that does not follow the cabin size and weight restrictions.
- Baggage Specifications- The applicable cabin baggage dimensions or Fiji Airways baggage size depend on the fare class of the ticket – Economy and Business.
|Fare Class Type||Requirements|
|Economy class||● Total dimensions – Should be equal to or less than 46 inches or 118 cm. |
● Maximum allowed dimensions including wheels and handles- 55cm X 40cm X 23cm
● One personal item like a purse and laptop is allowed on top of the cabin baggage.
|Business class||● Total dimensions – Should be equal to or less than 50 inches or 126 cm.|
● Maximum allowed dimensions including wheels and handles- 56cm X 45cm X 25cm
● One personal item is allowed like a purse and laptop on top of the cabin baggage.
- Fiji Airways baggage weight allowance and dimensions – The general baggage allowance weight restrictions are given below –
|Baggage Allowance||Fiji Airways economy baggage allowance||Business Class|
|Adults & child passengers on ATR flights||● One item piece is permitted. |
● Maximum allowed weight – 15 lbs or 7 kg
|● One item piece is permitted.|
● Maximum allowed weight – 15 lbs or 7 kg
|Adults & Children on Airbus and B737 flights||● One item piece is permitted.|
● Maximum allowed weight – 15 lbs or 7 kg
|● 2 pieces with maximum weight allowed – 15 lbs or 7 kgs |
● 1 piece with maximum weight allowed – 30lbs or 14kgs
|Infant ( Less than 2 Yrs)||● Additional 3 kgs are allowed for the adult accompanying the infant. (May include baby food, nappies, etc.)|
● Only one piece item is permissible.
|● An extra 3 kg is allowed for the adult accompanying the infant. |
● Only one piece item is permissible.
What items are allowed for free in addition to Fiji Airways cabin baggage allowance?
Here is the list of the items that Fiji Airlines allows passengers to carry on board with them without paying additional charges –
- Personal items like a purse, handbag, bag, or laptop.
- A purse or a small pocketbook carrying small items must not be used as a container for the transportation of other articles
- Blanket, wrap, or overcoat
- Walking stick or umbrella (After taking approval from security)
- A pair of binoculars or a small camera
- Reading material suitable for the flight
- Adults can carry one collapsible stroller per infant within the linear dimensions of less than 148 cm (100 cm+25 cm+23cm) for infants below age 2 years.
- Wedding dress or gown
- Garment bag
- Duty-free bag bought at the airport before reaching the boarding gate area
- Braces, prosthetic devices for use on the flight, a pair of crutches, etc. supportive devices required by the passengers
- A collapsible baby stroller contained in a bag can be carried on the flight in the cabin only.
- Fiji Airlines may permit travelers to carry a larger baby stroller as long as it fits the aircraft door.
What are the Non-Compliant charges applicable for Fiji cabin baggage?
Non-compliant charges are applied on cabin baggage that does not follow the weight and size restrictions appropriately. Add to that –
- Travelers must pay the applicable non-compliant charges at the boarding gate area.
- Ensure that the charges apply on Fiji airline point-to-point travel routes.
|From||To||Additional charges per bag|
|Fiji||Australia/New Zealand/Hong Kong/Singapore/Japan/PAC Is||53 USD|
|Fiji||USA||105 USD approx|
|Fiji||Canada||114 USD approx|
|Hong Kong||Fiji||59 USD|
|Singapore||Fiji||63 USD approx|
|Narita||Fiji||45 USD approx|
|Australia||FJ Network||80 USD approx|
|New Zealand||FJ Network||75 USD approx|
|Pacific Islands||FJ Network||53 USD (The charges must be converted to applicable local currencies)|
What is Fiji Airways checked baggage allowance?
Fiji airline follows different checked baggage allowances for domestic and international travel. Checked baggage includes the belongings passengers carry with them on the flights.
Here is a rundown of Fiji’s checked baggage allowance –
What is Fiji Airways domestic baggage allowance for checked bags?
If you are traveling domestically, keep note that –
- Total dimensions – The total dimensions of checked baggage items must not exceed 45 inches or 115 cm including the length + width + height of the item.
- Baggage allowance – The domestic baggage allowance for different items includes –
|Domestic Checked Bags for Economy Class||Lite||Value||Comfort||Plus|
|All Destinations||Checked bags not permitted||One bag allowed up to 33 lbs or 15 kg.||2 bags up to 33 lbs or 15 kgs.||2 bags up to 33 lbs or 15 kgs.|
|Fiji Airways infant baggage allowance||Checked bag not permitted||Stroller allowed; no checked bags allowed||Stroller permitted, no checked bags allowed||Stroller allowed; no checked bags permitted|
What is the Fiji Airways baggage allowance international for checked baggage?
When traveling internationally, keep note that the airline follows specific guidelines, regulations, and restrictions for bags. Add to that –
- Dimensions – The dimensions of checked baggage items must not go beyond 62 inches or 158 cm including the length + width + height of the item.
- Cargo – A baggage piece weighing over 66 lbs or 30 kg is not allowed as checked baggage and must be transported as Cargo or checked as a separate item after repacking.
- The items that exceed the total dimensions and weight limitations will be charged bulky items or oversized items Fiji Airways baggage fees.
- International to Domestic travel – Passengers traveling from/ to Fiji International and connecting from/ to Fiji domestic flights follow the rule as follows –
- If the FJ domestic and international domain tickets are booked on the same reservation, the airline imposes an international baggage allowance.
- If the tickets for FJ domestic and international domain tickets are booked separately, respective baggage allowance may follow.
- Restrictions for some items – Travelers may keep the following details in mind regarding some items –
- Mattresses cannot be carried as unchecked luggage items and are solely accepted as cargo or freight.
- The checked woven plastic bags beyond 7 kg weight must be transported in a sturdy casing.
- It must be properly shrunk to ensure efficient loading, handling, and unloading at the airport.
- Passengers traveling from international to domestic flights with checked bags – You must submit bags at the first stage of entry into the destination country.
- You can collect them post-declaration via customs and biosecurity for domestic itineraries.
- Duty-free items – Items like Gel, Aerosol, Liquid, and Powder will be disposed of at the airport security. These items must be bought at the final airport area of departure.
- Valuable items – The airline does not allow non-standard items/ valuable items like cash, importation documentation, jewelry, and medicines as checked baggage.
- Those fliers who carry valuable items as checked luggage must do so at their own risk and responsibility.
- Fragile items – Fragile items like mirrors, brittle goods, monitors, etc. must be packed adequately for cargo travel and handling at the airport.
- Item dimensions for Freight – Bags with length + width + height dimensions over 109 inches or 277 cm must be carried as freight, except assisted devices.
- Multiple Boxes/ Bags – Fiji airline permits travelers to carry multiple boxes/ bags when packed adequately together and comply with the checked baggage regulations.
- Security screening – All the individual items in checked baggage must be presented at the airport separately.
- Ensure compliance with Airport security screening and safety compliance for the prevention and protection of bags.
- Baggage Allowance – Ensure to keep up with the following international baggage allowance for the ticket type and chosen destination.
|International checked bag||All destination locations (Except from/ to Los Angeles, San Francisco, and Vancouver)||Itineraries from/ to Los Angeles, San Francisco, and Vancouver||Infant/Child travelers|
|Economy – Lite||No checked bag permitted||A checked bag is not allowed||Checked baggage is not permitted|
|Economy – Value||One checked item to up to 66 lbs or 30 kg||One checked item to up to 66 lbs or 30 kg||One checked item up to 22 lbs (10 kg) and a stroller is permitted|
|Economy – Comfort||Two checked items up to 66 lbs or 30 kg||Two checked items up to 66 lbs or 30 kg||One checked item up to 22 lbs or 10 kg and a stroller is allowed|
|Economy – Plus||Two checked items up to 66 lbs or 30 kg||Two checked items up to 66 lbs or 30 kg||One checked item up to 22 lbs or 10 kg and a stroller is permitted|
|Business – Biz Value||Two checked items up to 66 lbs or 30 kg||3 checked items up to 66 lbs or 30 kg||One checked item up to 22 lbs or 10 kg and a stroller is permitted|
|Business – Biz Plus||Two checked items up to 66 lbs or 30 kg||3 checked items up to 66 lbs or 30 kg||One checked item up to 22 lbs or 10 kg and a stroller is permitted|
What is Fiji Airways extra baggage allowance?
Fiji airline permits passengers to carry baggage that does not meet the size and weight restrictions of up to 30 kgs. The excess baggage charges differ for domestic and international travel as given below.
What are Fiji domestic excess baggage charges?
Regarding domestic excess baggage keep note that –
- Bulky item dimensions – The bulky item with dimensions 158 x 277cm has a fixed fiji airways checked baggage fee for excess baggage of 100 USD.
- Full additional piece fee – Fiji airline imposes a full additional piece fee for checked baggage between 21 kg and 30 kg.
- Prepaid excess baggage – Travelers can request “Prepaid Extra Baggage” as well for domestic and international travel up to 30 kg per bag.
- You can head to the website for prepaid excess baggage charges or connect with the airline for details.
- Excess Baggage Allowance – The excess baggage allowance for domestic travel is given below. The charges include VAT-exclusive rates –
|Departure airport||Arrival airport||Excess baggage charge (Up to 15 kg)||Overweight bag charge (Allowed 16-20 kg per piece)|
|Nadi||Taveuni||90 USD||45 USD|
|Nadi||Labasa||60 USD||30 USD|
|Suva||Labasa||70 USD||35 USD|
|Nadi||Savusavu||80 USD||40 USD|
|Suva||Savusavu||70 USD||35 USD|
|Suva||Lakeba||90 USD||45 USD|
|Suva||Cicia||70 USD||35 USD|
|Suva||Taveuni||70 USD||35 USD|
|Nadi||Kadavu||70 USD||35 USD|
|Suva||Kadavu||70 USD||35 USD|
|Suva||Rotuma||120 USD||65 USD|
|Suva||Vanuabalavu||90 USD||45 USD|
|Nadi||Suva||50 USD||25 USD|
|Nadi||Rotuma||120 USD||65 USD|
|Suva||Koro||50 USD||25 USD|
What is the Fiji International travel excess baggage charges?
For international excess baggage charges, keep note that –
- Weight limit – The excess or additional baggage weight limit is up to 30 kg.
- Pacific Islands – Some locations like Pacific Islands may require that the passengers allow enough time to process Fiji check in and carry out excess baggage allowance.
- Subject to space availability – Excess baggage is accepted subject to space availability and the fee is collected at the airport after confirmation at the airport.
- Excess baggage International allowance – The international excess baggage allowance for various locations is listed below –
- Flights Departing from Apia – The excess charges are given below –
|Other Fiji Domestic Ports||168 USD per extra piece|
|Port Vila||WST 400 per extra piece|
|Brisbane||55 USD per extra piece|
|Christchurch||55 USD per extra piece|
|Canberra||55 USD per extra piece|
|Adelaide||55 USD per extra piece|
|Auckland||55 USD per extra piece|
|Hong Kong/ Singapore||286 USD per extra piece|
|Honiara/Nuku’alofa/Vava’u||147 USD per extra piece|
|Melbourne||55 USD per extra piece|
|Nadi||128 USD per extra piece|
- Flights departing from Australia – The charges are as follows –
|Apia||99 USD per extra piece|
|Christmas Is||286 USD per extra piece|
|Narita/ Hong Kong/ Singapore||319 USD per extra piece|
|Honiara||286 USD per extra piece|
|Nadi||160 USD per extra piece|
|Nuku’alofa / Vava’u||99 USD per extra piece|
|Other Fiji Domestic Ports||133 USD per extra piece|
|Port Vila||190 USD per extra piece|
|Tarawa||190 USD per extra piece|
|Suva (Direct from Sydney)||199 USD per extra piece|
|Los Angeles San Francisco Honolulu||173 USD per extra piece|
|Vancouver||173 USD per extra piece|
- For flights from Hong Kong – The excess charges for flights from Hong Kong –
|Adelaide||485 USD per extra piece|
|Canberra||485 USD per extra piece|
|Christchurch||485 USD per extra piece|
|Brisbane||485 USD per extra piece|
|Tarawa||485 USD per extra piece|
|Port Vila||485 USD per extra piece|
|Honiara||485 USD per extra piece|
|Nuku’alofa / Vava’u||485 USD per extra piece|
|Melbourne||485 USD per extra piece|
|Nadi||294 USD per extra piece|
|Other Fiji Domestic Ports||396 USD per extra piece|
|Auckland||485 USD per extra piece|
|Funafuti||485 USD per extra piece|
|Apia||485 USD per extra piece|
|Sydney||485 USD per extra piece|
- For flights from Vancouver – The excess baggage charges for flights from Vancouver –
|Brisbane/Sydney/Melbourne/Adelaide/Canberra||225 USD per extra piece|
|Other Australian cities||225 USD per extra piece|
|Nadi||225 USD per extra piece|
|Domestic Fiji Ports||225 USD per extra piece|
|Christchurch/Auckland/Wellington||225 USD per extra piece|
|Other New Zealand cities||225 USD per different piece|
|Pacific Islands (Except Funafuti)||340 per extra piece|
NOTE – Head to the official website for excess baggage charges for other locations and for total excess bag charges for other regions within the above-discussed locations.
What are Fiji Oversized baggage item charges?
The airline imposes various oversize baggage charges for items that go beyond the stated size dimensions.
The domestic and international oversized baggage rates are given below –
What is the domestic oversized Fiji Airways baggage cost?
Here are the things to keep in mind regarding domestic oversized baggage allowance –
- For bulky items – The Fiji Airways baggage cost 45 USD per piece.
- Dimensions – The bulky item dimensions include a maximum limit of 45 inches or 115 cm and a maximum weight limit of 33 lbs or 15 kgs.
- Some oversized items may include – Golf bags, sports, musical instruments, surfboards, etc.
- Excess baggage piece – Items that exceed 33 lbs or 15 kgs are charged as per excess baggage piece.
What is Fiji Airways extra baggage cost for International oversized pieces?
International oversized baggage charges follow the given guidelines –
- Dimensions – Bulky items must have dimensions between 62 inches or 158 cm and 109 inches or 277 cm.
- Bulky/oversized items – Bulky/ oversized items may incur a bulky item fee on top of the excess Fiji Airways baggage limit.
- Air Cargo dimensions – Items above 109 inches or 277 cm in total dimensions must be carried as Air Cargo.
- Oversized baggage allowance – International oversized baggage allowance can be paid at the airport and prepaid. The charges for some locations are given below –
|Departure Airport||Arrival Airport||Fee|
|Australia||Hong Kong/ Narita||43 USD|
|Australia||Fiji & Pacific Islands||80 USD|
|Fiji||Singapore/ Hong Kong/ Narita||120 USD|
|Fiji||US & Canada||155 USD|
|Kiribati||Singapore/ Hong Kong/ Narita||80 USD|
|New Zealand||US & Canada||111 USD|
|Solomon Islands||Australia & New Zealand||42 USD|
|Tuvalu||Australia & New Zealand||43 USD|
|Hong Kong||New Zealand, Fiji, Australia, & Pacific Islands||148 USD|
|USA||All FJ Destinations||140 USD|
NOTE – Head to the official website for oversized baggage rates for other international locations.
What are baggage restrictions and the items not allowed on Board with Fiji Air?
Fiji Airlines states that passengers must follow the compulsory security and safety screening procedures for cargo, hand luggage, and checked baggage items. The security screening includes the use of –
- Physical and manual search
- Use of hand detectors
- X-Ray machine
The restricted items include –
- Knives of any size, spare parts, umbrellas, and any other metallic objects.
- Spare parts, Chainsaws, and Generators
- Gas lighters and matches are not allowed as checked luggage or cabin bags.
- Quantities over 100 ml or 3.4 fl oz can not be carried as hand luggage or in a cabin.
- Lithium battery-powered vehicles like mini-segway, balance wheels, solo wheels, etc. are prohibited.
- Cremated human remains secured in a sealed urn are allowed in the cabin.
NOTE – The passengers must connect with the airline and/or head to the official website for details regarding prohibited items and other restrictions.
What is Fiji Airlines baggage allowance for Codeshare flights?
The flights numbered “Fj” covering locations within the USA and between Canada and LAX are covered within codeshare flights and follow the regulations of partner airlines. Add to that –
- Partner airlines – For the majority of the flights, the codeshare partner/ marketing flight guidelines and regulations for baggage are followed.
- Baggage fee – Baggage allowance is charged per luggage item booked under the same reservation.
- Fiji airline partner airlines include – Alaska Airlines, Qantas Airlines, and American Airlines.
What are the guidelines for support regarding fiji airways baggage claim?
Fiji Airlines is dedicated to providing the best facilities to the passengers. However, it is important to note that mishappening may occur.
The airline provides the following information regarding delayed, damaged, and lost baggage –
|Conditions of Baggage||Guidelines provided|
|Delayed baggage||● If not received, the airline focuses on delivering back the baggage within 24 to 48 hours. |
● Travelers can complain at the airport Baggage service desk or a local Fiji representative available at the airport.
● Travelers can access “WorldTracer” to get details on the movement of the baggage.
● A missing bag claim request begins if the delayed piece is not located within 21 days of arriving at the designated airport.
|Damaged baggage||● Travelers can claim damaged baggage within 7 days of receiving the bag receipt tag. |
● Ensure to present proof of purchase/ possession.
● The airline may deduct the value of depreciation from the value of the luggage.
● The claim can be shared at the airport with a Fiji Airways representative.
|Lost property||● For lost property or baggage, head to the Baggage Services office to report the concern. |
● The airline may offer a letter to support travelers’ personal insurance claims.
What is the timeline to claim baggage via Fiji services?
Fliers can claim damage, loss, or baggage delay by writing a letter or submitting an online form/ report to the authorities.
What is the timeline for a domestic baggage claim?
The timeline for domestic baggage claims includes –
|Reason for the claim||Time Deadline|
|Expenses due to the baggage delay||21 days from the day of flight departure|
|Damaged baggage||Within 3 days from the day of scheduled flight departure|
|Lost, missing, or damaged bag contents||As soon as possible or latest within 3 days from the day of flight time|
What is the timeline for the international baggage claim?
The international baggage claim timeline is given below –
For Cabin baggage – Keep note that –
- It is recommended to report to the airline as soon as possible or within 7 days from the date of flight departure.
For Checked baggage – The following deadline is offered for checked baggage
|Reason for the claim||Time Deadline|
|Expenses due to the baggage delay||21 days from the date of the flight|
|Damaged baggage||Within 7 days from the day of scheduled flight departure|
|Lost, missing, or damaged bag contents||Within 7 days from the day of flight day or as soon as detected|
NOTE – Head to the official website for more details.
Does Fiji Airlines allow compensation for baggage liability?
The airline offers passengers compensation or reimbursement for the expenses incurred by them due to delayed, damaged, or lost baggage. They can also claim reimbursement for lost or missing bag contents.
Here is a rundown of the general liability catered by Fiji Airlines –
|Type of Travel||Limitation of Liability on Fiji Airline|
|Domestic Travel||Checked baggage – 450 USD |
Cabin baggage – 90 USD
|International Travel||Up to 1,500 USD per traveler|
NOTE – You can connect with the airline for more details regarding compensation and reimbursement offered for baggage concerns.
Fiji Airways baggage policy guides the passenger through various aspects of baggage like its dimensions, size requirements, checked baggage, carry on baggage, excess baggage regulations, etc. You can also connect with the airline for any concerns and queries faced throughout the baggage allowance process.
Frequently Asked Questions
Passengers can carry one carry-on luggage and a personal item in the cabin on the aircraft.
The walking cane must be kept securely for take-off and landings in the storage area to ensure the safety of the crew and other passengers.
The excess charges for domestic travel may be around between 25 USD and 120 USD.
You can carry additional baggage of up to 30 kg for domestic and international travel based on the routes.
You can claim within 7 days from the day of flight departure for damage and lost property. Keep note that the timeline differs for domestic and international travel.
No, the airline has suspended the carriage of firearms and weapons until further notice.
Some prohibited items include umbrellas, metallic items, knives, spare parts, etc.
No, the airline does not permit jewelry as checked bags. It can be carried as a cabin allowance.
The allowed dimensions must not exceed 45 inches or 115 cm for domestic travel.
The allowed dimensions must not exceed 62 inches or 158 cm for international travel.