Virgin Atlantic Baggage Allowance Policy includes an interactive in-depth guide for the passengers including crucial details like check-in and hand baggage, tips/ guidelines to carry various items, baggage restrictions, and baggage allowance. The passengers can use this guide to make informed decisions and pack their bags cautiously to avoid differences at the airport.
Take a look at the Virgin Atlantic Baggage guide.
What is Virgin Atlantic Baggage Policy?
Virgin Atlantic Baggage Policy is generous and passengers-friendly. Here are some general guidelines and tips applicable when traveling with Virgin Atlantic.
- The airline recommends that passengers check in with their bags at least 3 hours before the scheduled departure of the flight. It is to avoid delays at security and check-in.
- All the tickets at the airline allow the passengers to carry one free hand baggage item and the majority of the fare ticket also assures free checked baggage too.
- Virgin Atlantic Baggage allowance policy allows travelers to carry a minimum of 1 free bag weighing 23 kg, except in the case of flying Economy Light.
- The luggage must be packed carefully and the items must be secured. Make sure to allot a name tag if required.
- The tickets include hand baggage with a maximum size allowance of 23 x 36 x 56cm or 9 x 14 x 22 inches with things like a coat and handbag with the passenger.
- It is mandatory to pay the additional baggage allowance levied if the passengers exceed the standard baggage allowance.
- It is the responsibility of the passengers to carry their valuables, jewelry, golf, cash, etc. Carefully. The airline is not responsible for the loss or theft of such goods.
- The airline also reserves the right to refuse entry of some or all contents of baggage if it poses a hazard, threat, or inconvenience to other passengers.
- The passengers must not carry wrapped gifts as the security agents may unwrap them for security.
- Open drinks are not permitted through security controls.
- It is the responsibility of the passengers to take care of their baggage and not leave it unattended.
- The security measures are strict and require cooperation and patience from passengers.
- The passengers must take the necessary steps and actions to ensure that no stranger places anything illegal or wrong without their knowledge.
What are the Baggage Guidelines on Partner Airlines and Connecting Flights?
It may get daunting to know which baggage policies are followed for your journey. Keep note that-
- It is crucial to check the airline ticket to be well thorough with the baggage policies.
- If the passengers are flying to/ from US and/ or codeshare flights, partner flights, or connecting flights, the passengers must check the baggage allowance of the specified airline.
- If the ticketed flight numbers begin with “VS” for codeshare flights or partner airlines, it signifies that the Virgin Atlantic baggage policy will apply.
- If the sign “VS” is not present before the ticket number, then the policies for the respective airline may follow.
- If the flight is not from/ to the US for codeshare or partner airlines, the baggage policies of the respective airline may follow.
NOTE: The airline must check the policies of the codeshare or partner airlines on the website or follow as shown on the ticket.
What is Virgin Atlantic Airline Carry-on Baggage Policy?
Virgin Atlantic’s hand baggage allowance or Virgin Atlantic carry on baggage allowance guidelines state that hand luggage is part of all tickets and the airline may allow passengers to carry more than one bag with the airline based on the cabin chosen by the passengers.
Guidelines- Here are some important guidelines to note-
- Hand luggage is allowed only if the traveler can place it in the overhead bins without assistance.
- Patients who need to carry medical equipment and drugs including hypodermic needles
- No sharp objects can be carried in the hand luggage. The airline will confiscate any object that may prove to be a threat to other passengers.
- Size- Virgin Atlantic personal item size is 23 x 36 x 56cm or 9 x 14 x 22 inches.
Virgin Atlantic Hand Baggage allowance Based on Fare Type- Here is the bifurcation of hand luggage allowance with Virgin Atlantic carry on luggage size based on the fare type.
|Fare Type||Hand Baggage/ Carry on Allowance|
|Economy (Light, Classic and Delight)||One piece of hand baggage per person Weight- 22 lb or 10 kg|
|Premium Cabin||One piece of hand baggage per person Weight- 22 lb or 10 kg|
|Upper Class||2 pieces per person Weight- 26 lb or 12 kg for one bag or 35 lb or 16 kg for two bags combined|
NOTE: The passengers must check the Virgin Atlantic carry on weight limit updates or changes on the website.
Additional Items Permitted as Hand Luggage- The following is a comprehensive list of items permitted on board as hand luggage.
- A small number of duty-free goods
- Headphones for onboard use
- Overcoat or wrap
- Umbrella or walking stick for patients who need assistance
- Cigarettes and lighters (Can be carried but not allowed to smoke)
- Laptops (Must fit in the hand luggage)
- Mobility aids and wheelchairs
- Handbag, pocketbook or small bag (If cannot be carried as baggage)
- A small camera and/or pair of binoculars
- Food for your infant
- Reading materials for the flight
Items not permitted onboard in hand luggage- Here are the items prohibited by Virgin Atlantic-
- Sporting gear like bats
- Smart bags unless batteries are removed
- Sharp objects like knives, household items like razor blades, and other cutlery items
- Torch-style cigarette lighters and matches that are unsafe
- Catapults or toy replica of guns
- Scissors (Exceptions include small scissors with less than 6 cm in length, metal or plastic scissors with blunt or rounded blades)
- Tools (Exceptions: The US airports permit tools like pliers, wrenches, and screwdrivers. Make sure to check the other guidelines on the website.)
- Other dangerous articles like firearms, ammunition, flammables, and corrosives
NOTE: The airline is strict with this policy to ensure that the passengers follow the safety guidelines and have a safe journey. The passengers must check the full list of the items not allowed to avoid rejection at the airport.
What is the Checked Baggage Policy for Virgin Atlantic flights?
Virgin Atlantic Checked baggage policy offers generous checked baggage allowance. Here is a complete rundown of the Checked baggage policy offered by Virgin Atlantic.
- Dimensions and Weight- The airline provides checked baggage allowance based on the fare type chosen by the passengers. The Virgin airlines baggage size limits are as follows-
|Fare Type||Checked in Baggage Allowance|
|Economy||One checked-in baggage is permitted Weight– 23 kg Maximum dimensions – 90 x 75 x 43cm (35.5 x 29.5 x 16 inches)|
|Premium Cabin||Two checked-in baggage are allowed Weight– 23 kgs each Maximum dimensions – 90 x 75 x 43cm (35.5 x 29.5 x 16 inches)|
|Upper Class||Two checked-in baggage are allowed Weight– 32 kgs each Maximum dimensions – 90 x 75 x 43cm (35.5 x 29.5 x 16ins)|
NOTE: The Economy light fare type does not include a free checked baggage allowance. However, the passengers can request additional baggage check-in whenever required.
- Children/ Infant Baggage Allowance- To travel with a child or if the child is traveling alone under the Virgin Atlantic unaccompanied minor service, the airline has the following baggage allowance:
- Lap Infants- 1 checked-in baggage of weight up to 23 kg can be taken in any cabin except Economy Light.
- Passengers can bring a collapsible pushchair and car seat on top of the free Virgin Atlantic check in baggage allowance. (The airport staff receives the pushchair at the gate and the passengers can collect it later).
- Children and seated infants must comply with the regular baggage allowance.
- Exception– It is important to note that the passengers traveling to London Heathrow will not receive the pushchair for infants except the special assistance pushchairs at the aircraft door, rather the passengers have to collect it at baggage claim.
Is there any additional/ extra baggage allowance for some selected Routes?
Virgin Atlantic specifies some additional Virgin Atlantic international baggage allowance if the passengers are traveling on the following routes.
- The passengers can check the routes and may carry extra checked-in baggage on routes compared to other cities/ locations.
- The extra baggage allowance on selected routes is as follows-
|Location||Extra Baggage Allowance||Notes|
|To/ From India||Economy Classic or Economy Delight, Premium – 2 bags with a maximum weight of 23 kg each Upper Class – 2 bags with a maximum weight of 32 kg each||The passengers can carry 2 bags in Economy delight or classic only when flying to/ from the UK and USA to India and vice versa.|
|To/from Nigeria||Economy Classic or Economy Delight, Premium – 2 bags with a maximum weight of 23 kg each Upper Class – 2 bags with a maximum weight of 32 kg each||When traveling to/ from Nigeria to the USA, the passengers can carry only 1 bag for Economy light fare type.|
|To/from South Africa||Economy Classic or Economy Delight – 1 bag with a maximum weight of 23 kg each Premium – 2 bags with a maximum weight of 23 kg each Upper Class – 2 bags with a maximum weight of 32 kg each||From journeys from the US to South Africa, 1 bag is allowed in Economy light and 2 bags in Economy delight.|
|To/from Pakistan||Economy Classic or Economy Delight, Premium – 2 bags with a maximum weight of 23 kg each Upper Class – 2 bags with a maximum weight of 32 kg each||If the passengers are traveling from/ to Pakistan from/ to the USA or UK, the passengers are permitted to carry 2 bags in Economy Delight.|
NOTE: The airline does not specify virgin atlantic checked bag fee. However, the passengers must check the website for any updates.
What is the Baggage Allowance for Passengers with the Flying Club & SkyTeam Membership Level?
The airline offers passengers Club and SkyTeam lite or Elite Plus memberships to have extra benefits including free extra baggage weight allowance on the flight.
Guidelines- If you are traveling with any of the Virgin Atlantic-operated flights or SkyTeam partner airlines, here are the things to keep in mind-
- You can request Virgin Atlantic check in extra baggage at no additional costs. The baggage allowance is allowed irrespective of the cabin chosen by the travelers.
- For Flying Club Gold, Silver, SkyTeam Elite, or Elite Plus members- One piece of baggage is allowed with a maximum weight of up to 23 kg.
- If the partner airlines follow a weight-based baggage allowance instead of the number of bags allowance, the baggage allowance is as follows-
- Flying Club Gold- Extra 20 kg allowed
- Flying Club Silver- Extra 10 kg allowed
NOTE: Make sure to be well versed with the baggage allowance of the partner airlines for more details on the baggage allowance.
What are the Excess Baggage Guidelines with Virgin Atlantic Baggage Policy?
If your baggage exceeds the standard weight or you wish to carry more baggage with the airline, Virgin Atlantic Baggage allowance includes guidelines for excess baggage and oversized baggage to offer a convenient travel experience.
Guidelines for Extra Baggage
The specific instructions for extra baggage are as follows-
- Passengers can purchase excess baggage at the airport counter or online.
- The excess baggage facilities are subject to the qualifying airlines operated by Virgin Atlantic.
- Passengers must pay the excess baggage charges applicable at the time of purchase.
- Virgin Atlantic is not responsible for additional charges imposed by another carrier.
- If the passenger decides to request change/ upgrade the cabin, the airline is not liable to return the excess baggage allowance purchased earlier.
- The excess baggage allowance is non-refundable and non-transferable.
- Purchasing excess baggage does not offer additional flying club miles or tier points.
- The airline does not allow the passengers to purchase extra hand baggage allowance.
NOTE: The terms and conditions for the excess baggage policy may change without notice. The passengers must check the website to keep a track of any amendments.
How to book Excess Baggage with Virgin Atlantic?
You can book via Virgin Atlantic manage booking as follows-
Online check in- If you are checking in online-
- The passengers can carry up to 7 additional baggage per person as extra baggage at the time of online check-in.
- Keep note that the online check-in window opens 24 hours before the flight departure and closes 70 minutes before the scheduled time.
Airport Counter- The passengers can also pay for extra baggage at the airport.
- The costs remain the same as the online check-in baggage allowance.
- The maximum limit allowed for extra bags at the airport is 10 bags per person.
Guidelines for Excess baggage when flying with Infants?
The guidelines are as follows-
- The passengers can purchase 1 bag per infant at 75 USD for flying in Economy light.
- The airline allows free fully collapsible pushchairs and car seats with a free baggage allowance.
Extra Baggage Allowance Fee- The additional Virgin Atlantic extra baggage fees are likely to change as per the flight. Keep note that-
- The excess baggage charge is non-transferable.
- The charges are nonrefundable. Both charges for overweight and oversize baggage will be applicable to the passenger.
- Prices are based on flight locations from the USA or UK, the passengers are responsible to convert the prices shown on the website to their local currency for better understanding.
Excess Baggage Charges- Here are the prices for excess baggage based on the number of baggage and size.
|Baggage||Economy Light||Economy Classic||Premium||Upper-Class||Overweight||Oversized|
|Bag 1||75 USD||Included||Included||Included||100 USD||300 USD|
|Bag 2||100 USD||100 USD||Included||Included||100 USD||300 USD|
|Bag 3||200 USD||200 USD||200 USD||200 USD||100 USD||300 USD|
|Bag 4||200 USD||200 USD||200 USD||200 USD||100 USD||300 USD|
NOTE: Make sure to stay updated with Virgin Atlantic excess baggage allowance on the website or contact the airline staff for the same.
Does Virgin Atlantic offer a Specific Policy for Oversized Items?
Virgin Atlantic specifies the size and dimensions of the baggage considered oversized baggage. The passengers might be able to carry the oversize baggage as cargo once the Freight forwarder approves the baggage.
What are the Guidelines for Overweight Bags?
If you are carrying overweight baggage with the airline, keep the following rules in mind-
- Any baggage larger than the standard baggage 90 x 75 x 43cm (35.5 x 29.5 x 16ins) is considered oversized baggage.
- The baggage with dimensions for cargo must be within 190 x 75 x 65cm (75 x 29.5 x 25.5 inches).
- The maximum weight allowance in Economy and Virgin Atlantic premium economy baggage allowanceis 23 kg per person.
- For upper-class fare types, the maximum allowed weight is 32 kg per person.
- If the baggage is heavier than the given overweight standards as well, then the passenger may pay Virgin Atlantic baggage fees for overweight goods at the airport.
- The passengers must pay for the oversized baggage at the airport at the check-in counter desks.
Oversized baggage fee- The flights booked post 9th December 2019 have an oversized baggage fee of 300 USD.
What is the Virgin Atlantic Baggage Policy for Non-Standard Baggage?
Virgin Baggage allowance guides travelers to carry musical instruments and sports equipment as special baggage on the airline.
Musical Instruments- To carry musical instruments, Virgin Atlantic specifies very particular guidelines for hand baggage, checked baggage, or in the hold.
- In Hand Baggage- Keep in mind that-
- It must be small enough to fit in the overhead storage unit without assistance.
- The maximum permitted size is 23 x 36 x 56cm (that’s 9 x 14 x 22 inches).
- Maximum weight- 10 kgs or 22 lbs for economy class and 12 kg or 26 lbs for Upper class.
- In the seat next to the passenger- You can carry musical instruments as follows-
- Passengers are allowed to carry a maximum of two instruments if they book an additional seat for each one of the instruments.
- The seats must be window seats and should not be in an emergency exit row for unforeseen circumstances.
- The instruments can be placed on the floor in front of the seat or on the seat and must be secured with seat belt and extensions if required.
- The passengers must contact the airline to book the required seat.
- Maximum size permitted- 75 kg or 165 lbs with the center of mass less than/ equal to 30 cm or 12 inches above the seat cushion top height.
- Largest instrument allowed to fit on the seat is a Cello.
- If the instrument exceeds the size dimensions, it must be transported as checked-in baggage or removed before entry.
- Large instruments like the Double bass are secured in the hold for easy and convenient transportation.
- In the hold- The larger instruments can be carried on the airline as follows-
- It can be transported as checked-in baggage allowance or the passengers can pay an excess baggage allowance for it.
- The travelers have to carry the instrument through the checkpoint and it is collected at the departure gate for storage.
Sports Equipment- Passengers can carry one piece of sports equipment as a part of checked-in baggage. Add to that-
- The maximum weight allowance for sports equipment for checked-in baggage is between 23 kgs to 32 kgs. Beyond this limit, it is overweight baggage.
- Keep in mind that the Economy light fare type does not include checked baggage, so passengers have to book sports equipment accordingly.
- The passengers must check the list of restrictions and the items allowed on the airline. It is to avoid rejection or issues at the airport.
- The list of sports equipment and their conditions is listed below.
|Archery||One bow, a quiver, and arrows are allowed|
|Bicycle||Non-motorised bicycles including tandems allowedMust be carried safely. Refer to the safety instructions on the website.|
|Cricket||Equipment with bats, balls, wickets, and pads allowed|
|Diving||Diving equipment with items like Two rods, One reel, One pair of fishing boots, One tackle box, and One landing net.|
|Ten Pin Bowling||Ten pin bowling balls and shoes are allowed|
|Tennis||One racquet kit bag with racquets and balls are permitted.|
|Surfing and Boogie Boarding||Dimensions must be no bigger than 190cm x 75cm x 65cm (75″ x 30″ x 26″)|
|Fencing||Fencing swords with max. Length 190 cm (75 inches) is allowed. Must be packed in a rigid container.|
|Skiing, Snowboarding, Water Skiing||Skiing/ Water Skiing items allowed- One pair of skis (or water skis), Ski boots, Poles, A mask or helmetSnowboarding items- One snowboard, Boots and bindings, One helmet Both sets/ gear may not be allowed on the airline|
|Shooting||Firearms with correct paperwork allowed No limit on the number of items Country-specific restrictions may apply.|
|Paragliding||You can carry a harness, helmet, and wing or canopy|
|Parachuting||It will be carried in the hold, not allowed in the cabin|
|Golf||One bag with max. 14 clubs, a dozen balls, and a pair of golf shoes allowed|
|Fishing||Fishing equipment with Two rods, One reel, One pair of fishing boots, One tackle box, and One landing net allowed|
|Hockey||One equipment bag with sticks, balls, and pad is permitted.|
|Kitesurfing||One board and sail allowed Board must not exceed 190 cm or 75 inches in length. Must be wrapped as a single item.|
NOTE: In no circumstances, the sports equipment can exceed the weight allowance of 23 kg.
What are the baggage restrictions and the items not allowed on Board with Virgin Atlantic?
Here is the list of the items that are prohibited, restricted, or banned from the airline to encourage safety, and assurance, and eliminate any stress or hazard for the passengers.
|Cigarette lighters||One that emits blue flame, cigar lighters, and ‘strike-anywhere’ (non-safety) matches|
|Compressed gasses||Deeply refrigerated, flammable, nonflammable or poisonous gasses such as butane, oxygen, aqualung cylinders, and liquid nitrogen|
|Smart bags||Can be allowed if batteries are removed|
|Explosives||Fireworks, flares, sparklers, party poppers or other explosives of any kind|
|Corrosives||Acids, alkalis, mercury, and wet cell batteries|
|Flammable liquids and solids||Lighter fuel, paints, thinner and firelighters|
|Radioactive material, Oxidising material||Bleaching powder and peroxide|
|Weapons||Disabling sprays, tear gas, mace, pepper spray containing an irritant or incapacitating substance|
|Firearms and ammunition||Some exceptions may apply as in the case of sports equipment|
|Electroshock weapons||Tasers, containing dangerous goods such as explosives, compressed gasses, lithium batteries, etc|
|Briefcases and attaché cases||If they have alarm devices installed|
|Poisons and infectious substances||Insecticides, weed killers and live virus materials|
|Other dangerous articles||Irritating materials, Magnetised or offensive materials|
|Miscellaneous||Hoverboards/segway boards/smart balance/wheels and breeze boardsSecurity type attaché cases, cash boxes, cash bags, etc.Lithium batteries and/or pyrotechnic material (Exceptions may apply)|
NOTE: The passengers must visit the official website for items not permitted in air cargo, checked baggage, and hand baggage allowance.
What is the procedure for receiving support in case of delayed, damaged, or lost baggage?
It is rare that passengers face loss or damage in baggage. However, the passengers can follow the given steps to claim the required support.
- Report the issue- The passengers must report the missing bag or damaged bag to the Baggage services agent at the airport. Complete and submit the Missing bag report AHL.
- Provide a detailed description of the missing/ lost items- Provide a deep description of the baggage to the staff at the service desk at the baggage reclaim area.
- Keep the Baggage Receipt- Keep the bag receipt and offer the documentation and other travel documents as and when required by the airline.
- Track the Bag- Use the unique AHL reference number allotted to the baggage to track the progress and location. You can track the bag via World tracer.
- Follow up- Contact the airline or you can send an email to [email protected].
What is the compensation for lost or damaged baggage with Virgin Atlantic airlines?
The passengers can claim compensation or assistance if-
- The baggage arrived damaged
- The baggage did not arrive
How to claim reimbursement?
To receive reimbursement, follow the given steps-
- For Damaged Baggage- Keep in mind that-
- The ground staff will access the damage and arrange replacement baggage.
- Must claim the baggage within 7 days.
- For Lost Baggage- If the baggage did not arrive at all, follow these steps-
- It is a rare occurrence. However, travelers can report the loss within 21 days.
- The airline checks the documented proof of purchase, date, and purchase price for reimbursement.
- The compensation is based on the depreciation at the discretion of the airline.
In Conclusion, Virgin Atlantic baggage allowance policy is necessary for passengers to plan their journey well. Make sure that you are well versed with the airline rules and regulations and comply with the guidance to avoid refusal by the airline or additional or extra charges.
Frequently Asked Questions
Some items not allowed as checked baggage include weapons like tasers, compressed gases, lithium gases, lighter fuels, thinner, firelighters, etc.
The airline allows passengers to carry two instruments on board including a guitar in the hold, as hand baggage, or checked baggage.
You can carry musical instruments up to 75 kg in weight with Virgin Atlantic.
The maximum weight allowed for checked baggage is 23 kg.
Passengers with upper-class tickets can carry 2 carry-on baggage on the airline.
The maximum weight allowed for hand baggage is 10 kg.
The passengers have to pay an overweight baggage fee for the baggage if it exceeds the maximum weight permitted.
The baggage dimensions for checked baggage are 90 x 75 x 43cm (35.5 x 29.5 x 16ins).
Yes, the airline is strict with its checked baggage requirements and may reject boarding for passengers who do not comply.
Yes, alcohol is permitted to contain more than 24% and less than 70% content in volume. The net quantity is 5 liters per person.