Your furry companions deserve a fun travel experience as much as you do. KLM Airlines pet policy guidelines keep these essential details in mind and ensure that travelers can enjoy a great itinerary environment via services for pets like Pet reservation, preparing pets for the trip, how to bring pets on KLM flight hassle-free, etc.
You can go through the key guidelines related to KLM Pet Policy as follows –
What are the Basic Guidelines Of The KLM Pet Travel Policy?
To ensure a safe journey with your pets, it is important that the passengers take into account the given guidelines and rules, and regulations for pet travel with KLM Airlines.
- Pet Booking Reservation – Travelers can opt for pet booking via authorized sources like the airline airport ticket counter and the official website.
- Third-party sources – The travelers can also request pet booking reservations via the airport counter in case they have booked the reservation via third-party sources.
- Pet Carriage – You can travel with the pets in the cabin or as a cargo hold.
- Arrival time at the airport – It is important to reach the airport up to 3 hours before the flight departure to complete the pet travel requirements and checklist.
- Number of pets on KLM flight – The airline allows a limited number of pets on the flight based on the type of flight, destination chosen, and operating airline.
- It is recommended to connect with the airline for more details.
- Pet Reservation – Passengers must request a pet reservation as soon as they book flights for themselves.
- You can make a pet reservation within 48 hours of the flight departure time.
- It is recommended to reach the airport up to two to three hours before the flight to complete pet reservation requirements.
- Minimum Pet age requirement – Pets must be at least 15 weeks old to travel with the passenger on the flight.
- Tranquilizers – KLM airlines pet policy does not recommend tranquilizers, medicine, or prescribed sedatives to pets.
What are the travel documents necessary for KLM Pet Travel?
Travelers must follow the health, safety, and regulations of the International Air Transport Association (IATA). Here are some of the travel documents necessary for pet travel –
- Pet vaccinations
- Health certificates
- Travel documents after consulting the embassies of respective arrival, transfer, and departure country especially for KLM pet policy international flights
- From a non-EU country to an EU country – Check the pet travel import requirements to an EU country.
- Travel within the European Union – Dogs and cats must have an Electronic chip.
- Must have a European passport for adequate vaccination proofs.
What is the KLM Pet in Cabin Policy?
You can carry your pet in the cabin with you depending on the chosen flight and the fare class type. Here are the rules and regulations that you must abide by to take your pet along the journey –
|Terms and Conditions||Prerequisites|
|Number of pets allowed||Economy Class – One cat or dog |
KLM pet policy international travel – Business Class within Europe – One cat or dog
|Maximum dimensions for closed pet kennel or klm airlines pet travel bag||46 x 28 x 24 cm|
|Maximum weight allowed||8 kg (Including the pet and travel bag/kennel size)|
|Restrictions||Pets not allowed in Intercontinental flights in fare classes – |
Premium Comfort Class
In such cases, passengers cannot put the pet cage/ carrier/ kennel below the seat in front of the traveler.
You must keep into account the following details –
- Space – Pets must remain in the pet kennel throughout the itinerary.
- They must fit in the closed pet travel bag as they need to travel underneath the seat present in front of the passenger.
- The pet must be small enough to move around the cage.
- Online reservation – You can head to the “My Trips” section on the official website to add a pet to the reservation.
What are the guidelines for KLM Airlines Pet as Checked Baggage Policy?
Pets that do not qualify as cabins, can be transported as KLM checked baggage for some routes. Here is an overview of KLM Airlines’ pet travel as checked luggage policy –
- Keep note that it is subject to availability and space on the aircraft.
- Pet travel as a check in item is subject to temperature and weather-based restrictions of the routes.
|Pets Allowed||Dogs and cats|
|Age||At least 15 weeks|
|Weight Limit||Minimum weight of pet – 8 kg or 18 lbs |
Maximum weight of pet and pet carriage – 75 kg or 165 lbs
|Number of Pets||Two to three pets (May vary based on pet weight)|
|Pet Fee||May vary based on weight|
|Pet Tag||Must include age, breed, any health restrictions, passenger name, and contact information|
|Restricted animals||Pregnant and ill pets|
Note – Connect with the airline for more details regarding location/route-based restrictions and other specific regulations for you.
What are the guidelines for KLM Pet Cargo Policy?
If the pets are too large or too heavy and cannot travel in the cabin, you can carry them in the hold or Klm pet cargo. Keep note that –
- Travel Alone – Travelers can send their pets alone in the cargo.
- Pets must be assigned a KLM Airlines baggage tag with details like breed, age, size, health requirements, etc.
- Cargo Shipping – The animals are shipped via Cargo and pick up their respective pets at the arrival airport by contacting the specific baggage reservation representatives.
- The klm pet cargo facility is primarily reserved for those pets who are not permitted to travel in the pet cabin.
- Pet Cargo Reservation – Reach out to the KLM Customer Contact Centre to request KLM Airlines pet cargo facility.
- Quick Overview – Here is the rundown of the KLM Airlines Pet Cargo guidelines –
|Terms and Conditions||Prerequisites|
|Number of pets allowed||2 adult comparably sized animals 3 animals belonging to the same litter up to 6 months old|
|Maximum allowed weight||Pet cage + klm approved pet carriers/ Kennel < = 75 kg|
|klm pet carrier dimensions||The kennel size maximum allowed dimensions based on flights – |
KLM Airlines – 122 x 81 x 89 cm
KLM Cityhopper flights – 102 x 69 x 76 cm
|Exceptions||Pets cannot be carried in hold/ Cargo if – |
Flights have a transfer time of over 3 hours
Flight is operated via Boeing 787-10 or 787- 9 aircraft.
|klm international pet travel||Paris – |
Pets cannot travel in hold in Paris for flights with shorter connections.
A minimum transfer time of 4.5 hours is required for pets in cargo.
Note – Head to the official website for more details regarding KLM Airlines Pet in Cargo guidelines.
What are the breed restrictions in the Pet Policy KLM?
KLM Airlines is dedicated to ensuring a safe travel experience for pets. It is conducted by vigorously following rules specially designed to keep the health and well-being of the pets and other passengers.
The airline does not permit certain breeds of pets to travel on the aircraft due to their inability to handle heights, breathing issues, and more.
Types of dogs restricted – Following breeds of dogs cannot travel on the KLM Airline –
|Bull Mastiff||Brussels Griffon|
|American Bully||Neapolitan Mastiff|
|Certain breeds of Spaniel (English, King Charles, Tibetan, Japanese)||Bulldogs (all breeds)|
|Mastiffs (all breeds)||Cane Corso|
|Boxers (all breeds)||Shar Pei|
|Lhasa Apso||Small Brabant|
|Staffordshire Bull Terrier|
Types of Cats breeds – Majority of the cat breeds are allowed on the airline. However, here are some of the breeds prohibited on KLM Airlines.
What are the KLM Airlines restrictions for Snub-nosed animals?
It is important to note that snub-nosed pets are not allowed on the flights due to safety reasons. Add to that –
- Snub-nosed animals struggle with breathing due to stress and high temperatures.
- Contact the KLM Customer Contact Centre or your preferred travel agency to find out if your pet qualifies as snub-nosed.
What are the KLM pet carrier sizes and other requirements?
KLM pet crate requirements and dimensions must be met to carry the pet safely on the flight. It is recommended to check the unique crate requirements for pets in the cabin and in the cargo hold.
Some of the pet crate requirements are given below –
- KLM pet carrier size – Pet crate must be large enough to accommodate the full size of the pet while standing, sitting, and laying down.
- Materials used – The airline does not permit wooden crates.
- It is recommended to use rigid and hard case containers including materials like plastic shells or fiberglass.
- Presence of Wheels – Crates should not contain wheels.
- In case the wheels exist, you can remove them, if applicable, or block them with duct tape.
- Presence of Locks – Locks must be available on the front and back sides of the crate.
- Centralized locking mechanism is often recommended for convenience at the doors.
- Food and water – 2 empty containers or one food compartment with food and water diversion must be present.
- Must be fillable from outside.
- The food and water compartments must be attached to the kennel.
- Crate flooring – The crate floor must be covered with shredded newspapers, a pet pad, or a blanket for the pet’s comfort.
- Ventilation – The crates must be well-ventilated with holes.
What are the KLM guidelines for flying with service animals?
The airline can make reservations and arrangements if the passengers wish to travel with their service animals.
Here is an overview of the guidelines to keep in mind while flying with service animals –
|Terms and Conditions||Overview/ Details|
|Allowed Pets||Service dogs|
|Service Animals Charges||Free of charge|
|Prerequisites||To travel in a cabin with a passenger – Present adequate service dog training certificate Health certificate Copy of pet passport (Including weight, breed, and size)Travel documents|
|Application Process||Fill the application form to carry a training service dog. Send the filled form to “[email protected]”. Carry the form hardcopy at the airport.|
|Timeline to request service animal travel||Submit request up to 48 hours before flight departure.|
|Other animals||Animals other than service dogs are not allowed|
Note – It is advised to contact the local authorities of the arrival airport countries, departure, and transfer countries.
What are the other requirements for KLM service training dogs?
Here are the other key requirements you must keep in mind to travel with service dogs on KLM flights –
- Behavior in public places – Service dogs must behave appropriately in public areas to be considered as trained service dogs.
- Travelers may present verbal or written proof regarding service dog training.
- During the flight – The service dog must not block any areas on the aircraft including the aisle.
- Travelers cannot reserve exit row seats during service dog pet reservations.
- Service dogs must wear a harness and it must be tied to the seatbelt.
- The airline may assign additional seats to accommodate the service dog size in the same fare type class, if necessary.
- Flights longer than 8 hours – Written proof/ documentation necessary to state that the service dog may not need to relieve itself on a long flight.
- OR Proof that it can relieve itself without causing health/ sanitation concerns.
- Flying to/ from the US – Mandatory to fill out the U.S. Department of Transportation Service Animal Air Transportation Form.
- Print the form in addition to the KLM service dog application form and submit them at the airport.
- Prepare your pet – It is recommended to make your pet used to the kennel by allowing them to explore the kennel up to 5 days before flight.
- Food and Drinks – Pets are not allowed to eat/ drink water 2 hours before flight departure.
What are the pet restrictions to Pet Policy KLM ?
The Airlines cannot permit klm fly with pets facility under the given circumstances –
|Terms and Conditions||Details|
|Animals Type||No other pets except dogs and cats|
|Weight Limitation||The combined weight limitation for the pet and the cage cannot exceed 75 kg.|
|Kennel size Limitation||The kennel size cannot exceed the following dimensions based on flights – |
KLM Airlines – 122 x 81 x 89 cm
KLM Cityhopper flights – 102 x 69 x 76 cm
|Type of flights||Animals flying on different flights to the pet owner/ passenger|
|Cargo||Pets not allowed when destination country authorities only permit them as cargo|
Note – In the above-mentioned scenarios, the airline recommends the travelers to opt for a designated shipping agent to transport the pet.
How to make a Pet reservation with KLM Airlines?
You can request for klm pet policy in cabin reservation over the website or over the phone-
How to book a pet reservation with KLM Airlines via the website?
Here are the steps you can follow to book pet reservation over the website –
- Head to KLM Airlines official website home page.
- On the main menu, choose “My Trips” and access flight details.
- Log in to your account using email or Flying Blue member
- Using booking details like booking code and last name
- Sign up and create an account
- Submit the details. Once you retrieve booking information, you can edit your booking and add a pet.
- Enter the pet breed, age, size, weight, and health details.
- Add the pet, pet crate requirements, and pay the applicable pet fee.
- You will receive a confirmation email after the booking reservation is completed.
How to connect with KLM Airlines over the phone for pet booking queries?
You can connect with the airline over the phone for a variety of concerns like KLM airline flight cancellation, pet policy rules, booking a pet reservation, etc. Follow the steps given below –
- Head to the official website.
- In the main menu, you will find the “Information” option.
- You will be redirected to a new webpage with a variety of options and concerns.
- Scroll down to the option “How can we help you?” and select “Contact Us”.
- Select “Planning a Trip and Booking a flight” under the “How can we help you?” header.
- Choose “I need more information about traveling with a pet”.
- Choose “Need More Help?” and select the respective country from the top right corner and call the customer executive for your queries.
- Here are the top countries and their respective contact details to connect with the airline for pet reservations –
|Country/ Location||Phone Number||Operating Hours|
|India||1800 4193 044||08:00 AM – 08:00 PM|
|Australia||+61 2 93 382 263||09:00 AM – 07:00 PM|
|Belgium||+32 26 200 220||08:00 AM – 08:00 PM|
|Zambia||+254 20 389 37 22||08:00 AM – 07:00 PM|
|United States of America||+1 800 618 0104||08:00 AM – 11:00 PM|
|United Kingdom||+44 20 76 60 02 93||08:00 AM – 08:00 PM|
|United Arab Emirates||+971 42 37 80 96||08:00 AM – 08:00 PM|
|Thailand||+66 202 80 568||08:30 AM – 05:00 PM|
|South Africa||+27 10 205 01 01||08:00 AM – 08:00 PM|
|Russia||+7 49 541 17 766||09:00 AM – 06:00 PM|
|New Zealand||+64 988 48 101||11:00 AM – 09:00 PM|
Note – Head to the official website for contact details of other countries and their corresponding operating hours.
How to connect with KLM Airlines via social media?
KLM Airlines is well-connected on a variety of social media portals. The service is available 24/7 in 10 languages including Japanese, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Portuguese, Italian, Dutch, English, German, French, and Korean. You can address your concerns like KLM flight change, pet restrictions, etc.
Here are the popular social media platforms to connect with KLM and speak to the customer executives –
|Social Media Portals||Social Media Profile Links/ Profile URLs|
What is the KLM Airlines Pet Fee?
KLM Airlines allows travelers to travel with their pets for a pet fee. Keep note that –
- The pet fee depends on multiple factors including –
- Arrival and departure airport
- Arrival destination specific rules for pets
- Flight itinerary
- Fare class type
- Size, weight, and breed of the pet
- KLM Pet Fee – Ranges between 82 USD and 440 USD.
- Pet fee differs due to the multiple factors involved.
- You will get the exact pet travel charges at the time of pet reservation.
The user-friendly interface and pet-friendly guidelines ensure easy transportation of animals via KLM Airlines. Refer to the regulations well, be thorough with the KLM pet travel reviews, and avail of the exclusive facilities granted by the airline to simplify pet travel.
Frequently Asked Questions
KLM is strict with pet carrier guidelines and can reject pet travel if the passenger does not abide by the rules.
Yes, you can take your dog on the flight in the cabin, as checked luggage, and as cargo.
You can take two to three pets on the flight based on the route and final destination.
Yes, the maximum allowed pet weight is 8 kg in the cabin, whereas maximum pet weight including pet container weight is 65 kg.
Yes, KLM airlines pets on the flight if they abide by the regulations.
Yes, KLM airline permits pets like dogs and cats at least 15 weeks old in the cabin.
Yes, the airline permits larger pets as cargo.
Pets like Burmese, Exotic Shorthair, Himalayan, Affenpinscher, American Bully, Boston Terrier, etc. are restricted on the flight.
No, KLM airlines does not allow pets other than cats and dogs.
The kennel must have a maximum dimension of 46 x 28 x 24 cm to carry pets in the cabin.