Every passenger at some point definitely wonders if he/she can take aerosols on the flight or not. It depends on several factors including the Transportation Security Administration’s (TSA) 3-1-1 and country-specific rules. However, in simple terms, you can bring aerosols on planes by abiding by the regulations.
Before you start keeping aerosols in your bag, you are advised to check with the origin as well as destination countries if they allow the same. It is the best way to save you from additional costs (penalties) and delays.
Can You Take Aerosols on a Plane as Hand Luggage?
An aerosol can be a hairspray, dry shampoo, sunscreen, deodorant, perfume, hair mousse, shaving cream, or other liquid toiletries. You will be allowed to get such aerosols on the plane but you must get familiar with the rules first.
Since bringing liquid comes with a certain rule, you must know how much you can bring on board. According to 3-1-1 (3 parts of the aerosols in 1 container, and by 1 passenger) rules stated by the TSA, you can keep 100ml (3.4 ounces) or less quality of liquids in a carry-on or hand luggage.
- The item should be placed in an airtight and leak-proof container.
- Larger containers will not be allowed.
- In addition to this, the container should be a clear and quart-sized bag with a zip on the top.
- One ticketed passenger can only have one liquid container or bag in the hand or carry-on luggage.
- Even though solid toiletries such as bug repellent and sunscreen can be packed, they will reduce the aerosol’s number in your bag.
- Apart from this, aerosol insecticides and flammable gels/liquids are not permitted even if you keep them as per the rules. These include:
- Cooking spray,
- Canned air,
- Spray paint,
- And laundry starch.
Certain types of sprays are allowed in this category. For example, you can bring hairspray on a plane.
Are Aerosol Cans on Planes as Checked Baggage in 2020-2022 Allowed?
Although there are some restrictions, it is relatively easier for a passenger to pack aerosols in their checked baggage in 2021, 2022, and beyond. People typically pack aerosols in their checked luggage when they want to bring more quantity than the carry-on ones.
According to the TSA, passengers can pack all toiletry-type aerosols in this baggage. But the weight limit should be a maximum of up to 70 ounces in total. Each container must have 18 ounces or less.
- You must keep the necessary aerosol in a securely packed can.
- It must have a tightly closed cap.
- It is always a good idea to keep such items in an additional bag to prevent leakage.
Can You Bring Aerosol Sunscreen on a Plane?
Yes, passengers are allowed to travel with sunscreen. However, they must keep the TSA and Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) rules in their minds. As per the regulations, all types of aerosol including sunscreen should not be more than 100ml or 3.4 ounces when packed in carry-on baggage.
- For checked baggage, the limit for each passenger is 70 ounces.
- Each container filled with sunscreen should not exceed the limit of 500ml.
- Lastly, it must be packed in a leak-proof container that is protected by a nozzle or cap.
Can I Keep Spray Sunscreen Aerosol Can on a Plane?
Yes, passengers can travel with a spray sunscreen can while traveling. But each ticketed passenger will need to follow some rules. It includes:
- Per person the total aggregate quantity: is 70 ounces or 2 liters
- The capacity of every container: 18 ounces or 500 ml
Passengers cannot bring sunscreen of more than 2 liters. On bringing more quantity than listed here, the airport authorities will destroy the additional one or simply seize it. There is no mid-way to carry excessive quantities.
To Conclude this
As per the latest rules of TSA and FAA, passengers are allowed to bring aerosols either as carry-ons or in checked baggage. Please keep in mind that if you bring more than the stated limit, the concerned authorities may not allow you. But yes, you should also read the nation-specific rules of aerosols for better clarity.
Yes, passengers are allowed to get aerosols such as sunscreen, dry shampoo, hair spray, deodorant, and so on.
Aerosols are allowed as carry-on bags but passengers can only bring 3.4 ounces of the same in an airtight, leak-proof, and capped can.
Hairsprays are counted as essential toiletries or aerosols. Hence, passengers can bring a limited amount of it on a plane.
As per the rules, you can bring a maximum of up to 70 ounces and 18 ounces of aerosol in each can in checked luggage.
Yes, a flier can bring items like sunscreen or even spray sunscreen on a plane. However, check the maximum quantity allowed.
If the deodorant you want to bring is not flammable, then you will be allowed to bring it onboard.
There are different rules for aerosol size in checked and carry-on baggage. Look at the following for more details:
In Carry-On Baggage: 3.4 ounces
As Checked Baggage: 70 ounces
Dry shampoos are allowed but as per the restricted amount only i.e. 3.4 ounces as hand luggage.