This carrier has specific rules to manage the transit when travelers are accompanied by their pets. Qatar Airways pet policy is well known for its amenities and provisions. It even includes the cost and restrictions imposed on the transit of some animals.
What are the Qatar Airways Rules for Pets?
To avoid chaos and uncertainty, the carrier has strict regulations for animal transportation. The basic terms for flying with pets include:
- Requests must be made no less than 48 hours prior to the plane’s takeoff.
- From most nations, these animals may be transported as excess/additional luggage:
- Domesticated cats/dogs
- Furry beings that measure or weigh over the standard limits are shipped as cargo.
- When connecting to a flight of this airline from another carrier:
- Animals won’t be eligible for the checked baggage provision.
- They can be transported under Qatar Airways pet cargo service.
- The rules for flying to different countries vary depending on local laws.
- It includes the entry/exit nations as well as the transit country.
- This airline acts in accordance with the “IATA Live Animals Regulations”.
Is there a Qatar Airways Pet in Cabin Policy?
A pet-in-cabin policy is available with this operator. Its conditions include:
- Passengers can carry service animals in the cabin.
- Birds like falcons can be carried.
The table below has the number of permissible pets on Qatar Airwaysper passenger on board:
|Animal in Cabin||Permitted Number|
|Falcon||1 per traveler|
|Service dog||Up to 2 per passenger|
Rules to Transport Falcon in Qatar Airways Economy Class Cabin
Falcons are allowed to travel on board. They can also be transported as checked baggage. The following rules apply:
- Those who wish to board with their falcon must pay additional/extra baggage fees.
- Specific laws of the local government also apply to the entry of the bird.
- Falcon transits are not allowed on board for flights from/to Tunis.
- As per the Qatar Airways pet policy, modifications can be done for free.
- You may remove the transit and get a refund or use the value for future bookings.
Can Service Animals Travel in Cabins on Qatar Airways?
The carrier allows you to travel with service animals on select routes in sync with the following:
- 48 hours prior to your departure, the airline must be informed about the animal.
- They can travel on board for flights operated by this carrier.
- Moreover, some countries allow bringing more than 1/one dog on board.
- For flights to such nations, 2/two service dogs will be allowed per passenger.
- There are no weight limitations for pets in cabin on Qatar Airways.
- Some age restrictions may occur when traveling to a particular location.
- When the dog cannot fit in the designated seat, you will be offered another spot.
- It is based on the availability of seats on the plane.
Check-in Rules for Service Dogs
The flier must complete the Qatar airport check-in process 1 hour before the regular cutoff. Online check-in is also available.
At this time, you will have to produce evidence for the following:
- Show proof that the animal accompanying you is a service dog (fully trained).
- It must be at least 4/months months old, proven by providing:
- Identification document
- Other written papers/tags
- When traveling with pets on Qatar Airways, present the required certificates:
- From the animal’s veterinarian
- Record of recent vaccinations
Rules to Manage the Service Dog
This operator has set regulations under which the animal is to be handled on board.
- It must fit on the lap of the owner or in the space given to rest feet.
- The dog must be restrained in some way, such as with a leash or harness, while:
- In the cabin
- During transport at “Hamad International Airport”
- It must have access to clean food as well as water.
- This must be provided by the owner.
- As per Qatar Airways rules for pets in this category, use a safety harness during:
- As indicated by the “Fasten Seat Belt” sign
How Much Does Qatar Airways Pet in Cabin Cost?
Passengers can be charged a transportation fee to get permission to fly with their service animal or falcon on board.
Travel Fee for Service Dogs
They are allowed free of cost on flights operated by this carrier only to/from:
Note: For other routes, service animals are transported in the checked luggage hold for free.
Cost to Fly with Falcons
In this table, the Qatar Airways pet fee for falcons booked to travel in Economy class is highlighted:
|From/To||Far East||Europe||Africa||The Middle East; Indian Sub-continent||Australia; New Zealand; Japan; South Korea||The Americas||Qatar|
|Far East||450 USD||450 USD||450 USD||270 USD||630 USD||CAD 820 USD 630||240 USD|
|Europe||450 USD||450 USD||450 USD||270 USD||630 USD||CAD 820 USD 630||240 USD|
|Africa||450 USD||450 USD||450 USD||270 USD||630 USD||CAD 820 USD 630||240 USD|
|The Middle East; Indian Sub-continent||270 USD||270 USD||270 USD||135 USD||450 USD||CAD 590 USD 450||115 USD|
|Australia; New Zealand; Japan; South Korea||630 USD||630 USD||630 USD||450 USD||630 USD||CAD 820 USD 630||440 USD|
|ISC||270 USD||270 USD||270 USD||135 USD||450 USD||CAD 590 USD 450||115 USD|
|Americas||CAD 820 USD 630||CAD 820 USD 630||CAD 820 USD 630||CAD 590 USD 450||CAD 820 USD 630||–||USD 450 CAD 590|
|Qatar*||900 QAR||900 QAR||900 QAR||450 QAR||1620 QAR||QAR 1620 CAD 580||–|
What is the Qatar Airways Pet Travel Policy for Checked Baggage Transportation?
With the exception of falcons and service dogs, other animals are to be checked as baggage.
- There is no restriction on the number of animals that may fly as checked luggage.
- However, a maximum of 2 animals are allowed in the same pet container.
- You will have to complete the check-in process at the airport.
Pet Carrier Requirements
It is quite important to transport your pets on flights in an appropriate container.
- All pet carriers should have a standard opening for ventilation.
- The design must be of appropriate standards.
- It should be sturdy enough to avoid any scope of escape.
- The owner is supposed to supply adequate liquids and solids in the pet carrier.
Size for Pet Carriers:
Qatar Airways pet transport regulations specify the importance of appropriate container size.
- The carrier ought to be spacious enough to allow:
- Natural movement, and
- Posture of the animal
- It must be able to move around and rest in a comfortable position.
The feeding container must be an attachment to the pet carrier. There should be an option to refill it without opening the safety closure.
Transporting Multiple Animals in the Same Container:
For multiple beings to share the same flying container, the Qatar Airways pet policy has the following parameters:
- Maximum 2 will be allowed in the same carrier if the weight of each adult animal is 14 kg.
- Over this standard weight limit, the animals must be transported in separate carriers.
- Maximum 3 animals no older than 6 months may be allowed when:
- Weighing up to 14 kg each
- Belonging to the same litter
What are Qatar Airways Pet Fees for Checked Baggage?
To determine the pet travel cost as part of Qatar Airways checked baggage allowance the following factors are taken under consideration:
- Size of your animal
- The overall dimension/weight
Size of the Animal
Sum of Measurements and Weight
Up to 32 kg
Between 32 kg and 75 kg
Note: This Qatar Airways pet price is applicable even for falcons that are supposed to fly as checked luggage.
Which Qatar Airways Pets/Breeds are Restricted?
Due to the following reasons, certain pets on Qatar Airways have been prohibited:
- Some breeds of these are prone to heat stroke (temperatures above 69.8°F/21°C):
- Domestic cats
- Dogs (domesticated)
- They cannot maintain their normal body temperature.
- Considering their safety, the airline restricts their transit.
Banned Cat Breeds:
The following cat breeds are restricted from flying with this carrier:
All pug/snub-nosed dogs, as well as the following breeds (including mixes), are not permitted by the Qatar Airways pet travel policy:
Restricted Dog Breeds
Dogue de Bordeaux (French Mastiff)
King Charles Spaniel
Pug (all breeds)
Greyhound dogs with the exception of pets
(Reservation is available for only 2)
Other Animals Limited by Qatar Airways
The below-given list of animals is not accepted by the pet policy of Qatar Airways for transport:
- Transporting any type of primate for research
- Animals that are:
- Under 12/twelve weeks
- These rodents can’t be transited as excess luggage:
What are the Restrictions on Dogs/Animals to Enter Specific Countries?
Laws imposed by local governments exist in several countries. Due to the high risk of canine rabies, some nations have entry restrictions on dogs.
Entry to Canada
Entry of commercial dogs from nations with a high risk of rabies has been prohibited in Canada as of 28 September 2022.
- Exceptionally, entry will still be allowed for service or personal dogs.
- However, you must produce all required paperwork.
- Check the Canadian Government’s official site for additional details.
Entry to the United States
Dogs from specific countries have been temporarily prohibited from entering the US. The limitation is based on CDC guidelines.
- The prohibited nations include countries where rabies risk is high.
- Dogs can only enter with the CDC’s prior written consent.
- The “CDC Dog Import Permit” is important when requesting a dog as:
- Checked baggage, or
- Service animal
Note: Visit the CDC website for updated information.
Does Qatar Airways Allow Pets as Cargo?
There are multiple scenarios when Qatar Airways pet shipping is executed through its cargo services.
- This list of animals includes but is not restricted to being shipped via this service:
- When connecting from another carrier to a Qatar-operated flight, animals are transported as cargo.
- Those weighing and measuring over the given standard limit are sent as cargo:
- Sum of Measurements: Greater than 300 cm/118 inches
- Total weight: Over 75 kg
Which Dog Breeds are Allowed for Qatar Airways Pet Cargo?
This table highlights the acceptable list of animals when:
- Shipped as pet cargo on Qatar Airways, and
Meeting IATA LAR (Live Animal Regulations) pet container requirements (82)
Cargo Accepted Breeds
American Pit Bull Terrier
Staffordshire Bull Terrier
Bull Mastiff (English Mastiff)
American Staffordshire Bull Terrier
Note: To fly with your companion, bring a veterinarian’s certificate stating that it does not fit into any of the categories discussed above.
Transporting Animals from/to Australia
Only Qatar Airways pets as cargo service is available for animal transit to/from Australia.
- This is based on the regulation of the nation’s local rules.
- The transit will be through Melbourne.
- For more information, Post Entry Quarantine Services can be reached at:
|Email ID||[email protected].|
|On call||1800 900 090 (61 3) 8318 6700 (outside Australia)|
What is Qatar Airways Pet Cargo Price?
The Qatar Airways pet cargo cost varies greatly with the type of animal in transit, origin, and destination.
Visit the carrier’s local cargo office or give them a call to find out the exact cost. Perform the steps below to find the address and contact details:
The screenshot above is taken from Qatar Airways Cargo’s official website.
- Run the “Qatar Airways Cargo” website.
- Go to the end of the home page.
- Under the “Help Centre” section, click on “Find a Local Office”.
- On the new page:
- Select your region.
- Then choose a country.
- Once loaded, the list of local offices will include their addresses and phone numbers.
How to Make Qatar Airways Pet Reservations?
Travelers can fill up the online Qatar Airways pet travel form to request the service no less than 48 hours before the flight departs.
- Navigate to the official site.
- Select “Help”.
- You will be directed to a page with multiple actions.
- Click on the “Carriage of Pets” box.
- A drop-down action box will appear, add:
- “Booking Reference”
- “Last Name” of the traveler
- The booking details will be retrieved.
- Read the instructions on the web form and fill in the details carefully.
- Attach all the necessary documents.
- Make any applicable payment and confirm the reservation.
What Are the Documentation Requirements for Qatar Airways Pet Travel?
The Qatar Airways pet travel requirements have specified the need for special documents. These include:
- Health certifications from veterinarians.
- Pet identification documents, like passport
- Recent vaccination record
- Specific documents mandatory in the entry/exit country
Note: To learn more about customs requirements, see “Visa and Other Requirements” in the “Travel Requirements” section on the carrier’s official site.
Service Dogs Documentation Requirements
To fly with your service dog, carry the following documents:
- Health documents, and
- Additional certifications that are mandatory in the destination nation/region
- For trips over 8 hours to/from the United States, carry a softcopy or hardcopy of:
- Department of Transportation Service Animal Air Transportation (DOT) Form
- DOT Service Animal Relief Attestation Form
Document for Transporting Animal/Pet as Cargo
The paperwork varies with the type of animal in transit, origin, destination, and laws of any local regulatory body. The basic documentation for Qatar Airways pet shipping are:
- Import/export permits
- Health certificates
- Air Waybill (AWB)
- Applicable CITES permit
A fit-to-travel veterinary certificate is required for the following conditions:
- Animals that are lactating and have young ones
- Over 6/six weeks pregnant dogs/cats
How to Settle Qatar Airways Pet Travel-Related Concerns?
Fliers should connect with the airline’s agent to have a better understanding of the policy or to clear any doubts:
Find the contact details for your country in this table:
|Argentina||+1 877 777 2827|
|Hong Kong (China)||+852 3002 2730|
|Finland||+358 923 191 110|
|Canada||+1 888 366 5666|
|Germany||+49 6917 4899 14|
|Hungary||+36 1 755 5025|
|India||+91 95129 72827|
|Indonesia||(007) 8030160210, (001) 8030160210|
|New Zealand||+64 9 8866229|
|South Korea||82 70 7488 5074|
Tip: You can access additional contacts via the website of this operator.
In short, the rules and regulations of the Qatar Airways pet policy are beneficial for planning trips in advance. To ensure your furry friend has a safe trip, this will help you be aware of the transportation guidelines and restrictions.
Frequently Asked Questions
Only falcons and service dogs are allowed to fly in cabins.
Passengers can check their domestic dogs, birds, and cats as baggage. Other animals are to be transported as cargo.
In general, there are no restrictions on the number of animals flying as checked luggage.
Most animals can be checked as luggage and others are transported as cargo
Yes, service companions are permitted on board to assist differently-abled passengers.
Other than falcons and service dogs on select routes, other pets/animals are allowed on board.
Yes, certain health, breed, age, and other restrictions apply when flying with pets.
The pet container must have proper ventilation, be sturdy enough to prevent escapes, and be appropriately sized.
Go to the official site of this airline to get the updated travel cost for pets in relation to various factors.
Even though it’s the responsibility of the owner, the ground staff at Doha offers liquids and food to the animal.
No, you may not have access to your companion during the entire trip.
Find the request form on the “Help” section of the airline’s website. Complete it carefully to submit it online or as per the rules mentioned on the form.