Southwest Airlines is a leading American airline company known for its friendly and efficient service. Southwest Name ChangePolicy is a pretty clear and straightforward Name Change Policy for those instances when you misspelled your name, need to update your contact information or want to transfer your ticket to someone else.
In this guide, we’ll explain everything you need to know about making a name change with Southwest Airlines.
What rules to consider when requesting name change/correction on Southwest Airlines flight tickets?
When requesting Southwest name correction, there are some rules and guidelines that you should consider:
- Timing: Requests for name changes must be made prior to the scheduled flight departure time. Southwest does not allow name changes after departure.
- Fees: There is a fee for changing a passenger name on a Southwest flight, which can vary based on the fare and ticket type. You can check the fee amount by contacting Southwest customer service or visiting their website.
- Document verification: You may be required to provide proof of identity, such as a passport or driver’s license, to verify the change in name.
- Booking channel: If you booked your flight directly through Southwest, you can make the name change request by calling the Southwest customer service center or logging into your account on their website. If you booked through a third-party travel agent, you’ll need to contact the agent directly to request the change.
- Restrictions: There may be restrictions on the type of name change that can be made, such as adding or removing a middle name or initial. You can contact Southwest customer service for more information on these restrictions.
- Legal name change Condition: Southwest name change on ticket request include legal name change due to marriage or divorce.
What type of name change requests are accepted by Southwest Airlines?
Southwest Airlines generally accepts name change requests in the following circumstances:
Fix a misspelled name
If a customer made a mistake while booking a flight, Southwest Airlines allows the correction of the typo in the name.
Legal Name Change
If a customer legally changed their name, for example, due to marriage or court order, Southwest Airlines allows correction of the name on the reservation.
If the name on a customer’s passport or government-issued ID does not match the name on their reservation, Southwest Airlines allows the correction of the name.
Please note: Southwest name change requests are subject to airlines’ fare rules and restrictions and may incur a fee. Additionally, the airline may require documentation to verify the name change.
How to request a name change/correction on the Southwest airlines ticket?
You can request a name correction on a Southwest Airlines ticket online, over the phone as well as at the airport.
Method 1: Contact Southwest Airlines
You can contact Southwest Airlines directly by calling their customer service center at +1-800-435-9792. All legal name changes can be requested through the contact center.
- Booking details: Provide the representative with your booking information and explain the name correction that you need. They will assist you in making the change.
- Provide your flight details: When you contact Southwest Airlines, they will ask you to provide your flight details, including your booking reference number, flight dates, and your name as it appears on the ticket.
- Explain the correction needed: Let the customer service representative know that you need to make a correction to your name on the ticket. Provide them with the correct spelling of your name, if applicable.
- Pay the fee: Southwest Airlines may charge a fee for making changes to your booking, including name corrections. Make sure you understand the fee amount before proceeding with the correction.
- Confirm the change: After the correction has been made, confirm the change with the customer service representative to ensure that your name is correct on your ticket.
Note: As per Southwest name change policy, it is important to keep in mind that the name on your ticket must match the name on your government-issued ID, so make sure to correct any errors as soon as possible.
Method 2: Online
Only Southwest airlines misspelled name requests can be accomplished online. Here are the steps to request a name change or correction on a Southwest Airlines ticket online:
- Retrieve your booking: Go to the Southwest Airlines website and navigate to the Southwest manage booking section. Enter the six-digit confirmation number, first name, and last name of the passenger.
- Select “Change Reservation”: Look for the “Change Reservation” option on the flight itinerary page and click on it.
- Change the name on the reservation: On the “Change Reservation” page, select the passenger whose name needs to be corrected or changed. You can make the correction or change the name on the passenger information page.
- Confirm the changes: Review the changes you made, and if everything is correct, click on “Confirm Changes“.
- Pay any additional fees: If there are any additional fees for changing the name on the ticket, you will need to pay them at this time.
- Review and confirm: Review the updated reservation information, and if everything is correct, click on “Confirm” to complete the process.
Note: If you want to change other details like date, flight, Southwest luggage allowance, etc., then also you can go through this procedure.
Method 3: At the airport
If you prefer, you can also make the name correction at the airport by visiting the Southwest Airlines ticket counter. At the airport, you can change name on Southwest account. You’ll need to bring a valid form of identification to verify your identity and make your Southwest name correction.
If you need to change or correct your name on a Southwest Airlines ticket, here are the steps you can follow at the airport:
- Arrive early: It’s best to arrive at the airport early to allow enough time to make the correction.
- Locate the Southwest Airlines ticket counter: Find the Southwest Airlines ticket counter at the airport, and proceed to the check-in area.
- Speak with an agent: Approach an agent and explain that you need to make a correction to your name on your ticket. Provide them with your booking details and your current name and the name you wish to change it to.
- Show identification: The agent will likely ask to see your government-issued ids, such as a passport or driver’s license, to verify your identity.
- Pay any applicable fees: If there are any fees associated with making the correction, you’ll need to pay them at the ticket counter.
- Receive your corrected boarding pass: Once the correction has been made, the agent will issue you a new boarding pass with your updated name.
Method 4: Change name on Southwest rapid account via email
To change your name on your Southwest Airlines Rapid Rewards account via email, follow these steps:
- Compose an email: Write an email to the Southwest Airlines Rapid Rewards customer service team, asking them to change the name on your account.
- Provide required information: In the email, be sure to include the following information:
- Your current name on the account.
- Your new name as it should appear on the account.
- Your Rapid Rewards account number.
- A copy of your government-issued identification that shows your new name (e.g. passport, driver’s license, etc.)
- Send the email: Send the email to the Southwest Airlines Rapid Rewards customer service email address, which is: [email protected].
- Wait for a response: You should receive a response from the Southwest Airlines customer service team within a few business days. They will let you know if they need any additional information or if the name change has been successfully processed.
Please Note: if your name change is due to marriage or divorce, a legal document showing the name change (e.g. marriage certificate or divorce decree) may also be required.
Contact Southwest via Social Media
Southwest Airlines is active on several social media platforms and you can contact them through these channels. Here are the links to their official accounts:
You can reach out to them by sending a direct message or posting a comment on their official pages. Keep in mind that due to the high volume of inquiries, it may take some time for them to respond.
Southwest Airlines Name Change Fee
There’s no such thing as Southwest airlines name change fee!
Southwest never charges a fee for name correction because the airline understands mistakes happen. You may be asked to pay a difference in fare if the reissued itinerary is more expensive than the original one.
In conclusion, the airline is committed to ensuring the safety and comfort of its customers, and Southwest name change policy is just one of the many steps it is taking to achieve that goal. As we navigate this new policy change, it is recommended that all passengers ensure that the names on their boarding pass match the identification they present at the airport. This will help to ensure a smooth and seamless travel experience for everyone.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, you can change the name on Southwest Airlines tickets, but there may be a fee associated with it, depending on the fare type and fare rules of the ticket.
Log in to your Southwest Airlines Manage Booking on the Southwest website. Find your flight reservation and select the option to change. Follow the on-screen instructions and confirm the change.
Log in to Manage Booking on their website. Locate the reservation you would like to change. Click on the “Change Flight” button. Click on the “Edit” button next to their name. Pay any applicable fees, if necessary.
Yes. However, the specific policies and procedures for changing the name on a ticket may vary, and it may depend on several factors such as the type of ticket, fare rules, and flight itinerary.
Yes, you can change your name on Southwest after marriage. Contact Southwest’s Customer Relations Department at 1-855-234-4654 to make the change.
Log in to your Southwest account on the official website. Find the booking that you want to change and select “Change Flight” or “Manage Reservations.” Follow the prompts to make changes to your booking.
Call Southwest Airlines at 1-800-435-9792 (U.S. and Canada) or 1-214-792-4847 (International).
You can call Southwest Airlines customer service at 1-800-435-9792 to speak with a representative about your reservation. They will assist you in changing the name on your reservation.